Tips for studying for CASPer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med16484

Reaction score
So I just submitted my primary and now switch to studying for CASPer. I plan to take it on June 4, because I've read that a week is plenty of time to study. I read that many people use the PPRDJ strategy for answering the questions. With this strategy, do you use PPRDJ on only the first question in a set, or try it on all 3 questions? I am also looking at UWash's bioethics page but I've read CASPer focuses more on non-medical ethics. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, i am confused.. Why would you even try to study for CASPer? It simply tests your reactions and attitudes to a specific situation.

Reactions: 2 users
honestly, i am confused.. Why would you even try to study for CASPer? It simply tests your reactions and attitudes to a specific situation.
Yea I'm not really trying to study content as much as I am trying to learn how to answer the questions completely

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't personally taken it, but tips I've heard from other people are to type fast and not be a psycho.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay when I took the CA$Per, I noticed that it was a little more than just “don’t be a psycho.” There are good, better, and great ways to answer a question.
  1. I’m not exactly sure what PPRDJ is, but you probably won’t have enough time to write out a thoughtful response to all the questions. You get 3 questions per scenario with 5 minutes to type, IIRC. But the questions beg for a more thought-out response than just “yeah he did this wrong. He shouldn’t do that even though his father needs him to.” If you can type >80 GWAM, then I think you could do PPRDJ for every Q.
  2. The whole point of it is to show you can step out of your POV and understand everyone else’s stance on why they did something/their dilemma/what you should do. If you’ve worked in the real world, a lot of these ethical issues and questions will be easy to answer
  3. Be a snitch. Show understanding of the other POV but this is where “snitches get stitches” does not apply
  4. Lastly, they will also ask questions that don’t pertain to the dilemma at hand, but are relevant to the scenario. For example, they can ask “What makes a good leader?” in a video/passage about someone having to stay at work until 2 am on their daughters 1st birthday they’ve been planning for a month. It isn’t good enough to say “a good leader has to make tough decisions.” Make it relevant to the scenario at hand.

Reactions: 2 users
Do what you’d do in real life. After all, isn’t that what this tests is for? If you’re a decent human being you should have nothing to worry about

Reactions: 1 users
Okay when I took the CA$Per, I noticed that it was a little more than just “don’t be a psycho.” There are good, better, and great ways to answer a question.
  1. I’m not exactly sure what PPRDJ is, but you probably won’t have enough time to write out a thoughtful response to all the questions. You get 3 questions per scenario with 5 minutes to type, IIRC. But the questions beg for a more thought-out response than just “yeah he did this wrong. He shouldn’t do that even though his father needs him to.” If you can type >80 GWAM, then I think you could do PPRDJ for every Q.
  2. The whole point of it is to show you can step out of your POV and understand everyone else’s stance on why they did something/their dilemma/what you should do. If you’ve worked in the real world, a lot of these ethical issues and questions will be easy to answer
  3. Be a snitch. Show understanding of the other POV but this is where “snitches get stitches” does not apply
  4. Lastly, they will also ask questions that don’t pertain to the dilemma at hand, but are relevant to the scenario. For example, they can ask “What makes a good leader?” in a video/passage about someone having to stay at work until 2 am on their daughters 1st birthday they’ve been planning for a month. It isn’t good enough to say “a good leader has to make tough decisions.” Make it relevant to the scenario at hand.
Thanks for the response. PPRDJ is this technique I read on Reddit in you write a sentence on the problem, perspectives, responsibility, decision, and justification. I believe its only possible to write that out for the question that pertains to "What would you do?" in a scenario.

Just answer the questions quickly and as a kind, compassionate person. Really it’s just to see if you are not a psycho. It kind of has the same purpose as an interview. BeMo has practice Casper questions to help you practice. I did 5 or 6 before taking the test just to get my typing speed up.

I just took the CASPer last week...

It was interesting... Especially random curveballs.

You can't really study, but you can watch some videos on youtube by "Academic Consultants" which can lead you in the right direction. Answer truthfully, and elaborate the best you can. They can't see anything you don't type so even if you think something is "common sense" elaborate on it.

I'm in a similar boat; my exam is on June 16th. Learn to type fast, try BeMo and also the official CASPeR mock test they provide.

As for U Washington, I'm also using that as a resource and applying the PPRDJ based on the cases.

Just be honest with your responses and not be psychopath :)

I'm in a similar boat; my exam is on June 16th. Learn to type fast, try BeMo and also the official CASPeR mock test they provide.

As for U Washington, I'm also using that as a resource and applying the PPRDJ based on the cases.

Just be honest with your responses and not be psychopath :)
Are you using UWash's bioethics or generic ethics? And will you just be using PPRDJ for the main decision question? Thanks

Are you using UWash's bioethics or generic ethics? And will you just be using PPRDJ for the main decision question? Thanks

@TheBigCookie98, I'll be using the UWash bioethics, as that seems more reputable based on Reddit. Also, it will help us in future med schools interviews if we are fortunate enough to get invites (which I hope for both of us!)

As for when I'll be using PPRDJ, it's hard to say on CASPeR due to the random curveballs that they may throw at us. The UWashington ethics questions are NOT separated into 3 questions. Rather, from my experience in seeing BeMo's questions to the questions asked by UWashington, the 1 question asked by UWashington somewhat incorporate the 3 questions asked by BeMo mock exams.

How about you? What is your plan for attacking the exam?

@TheBigCookie98, I'll be using the UWash bioethics, as that seems more reputable based on Reddit. Also, it will help us in future med schools interviews if we are fortunate enough to get invites (which I hope for both of us!)

As for when I'll be using PPRDJ, it's hard to say on CASPeR due to the random curveballs that they may throw at us. The UWashington ethics questions are NOT separated into 3 questions. Rather, from my experience in seeing BeMo's questions to the questions asked by UWashington, the 1 question asked by UWashington somewhat incorporate the 3 questions asked by BeMo mock exams.

How about you? What is your plan for attacking the exam?
My plan as of now is to try the full PPRDJ strategy on the question that basically asks "What would you do?". From what I've read, it seems like the other two questions are additional to that main question so wouldn't go as in-depth but also keeping the same ideas (Don't judge, If/then, okay to snitch, ect). Also I've heard of people mention a free full length exam by Casper, do you know how to access that?

My plan as of now is to try the full PPRDJ strategy on the question that basically asks "What would you do?". From what I've read, it seems like the other two questions are additional to that main question so wouldn't go as in-depth but also keeping the same ideas (Don't judge, If/then, okay to snitch, ect). Also I've heard of people mention a free full length exam by Casper, do you know how to access that?

After you register to take the exam they offer it to you

Hello @TheBigCookie98, and thanks @ParaMagic1 for adding in, when you register for CASPeR, there should be a button where Altus (the company that administers the test) gives you a sample test to write. It's analogous to the FLs offered by AAMC.

Hello @TheBigCookie98, and thanks @ParaMagic1 for adding in, when you register for CASPeR, there should be a button where Altus (the company that administers the test) gives you a sample test to write. It's analogous to the FLs offered by AAMC.
Do you know what is the ideal number of sentences we should aim to write for each question? I normally do around 5 for the main question asking for my decision and then around 3 for the two supporting questions

When should CASPer be taken? Is it needed for secondaries? Genuinely confused...
It takes 2-3 weeks for your test tobe scored and sent so I would take it accordingly because your application for schools that require it won't be completed until they receive your score. Any schools that require casper are listed on the casper website. Yea it tends to be a requirement along with secondary essays for the schools that require it.

Does anyone know where one can find the answers to the official sample 2019-2020 test on the casper website?

Does anyone know where one can find the answers to the official sample 2019-2020 test on the casper website?
I don't think there are any answers. From my understanding, the sample test is to get used to the format of the test, rather than to help one "study" or learn how to respond.