Tips for studying intro to clincal neuropsych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychisfun43

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an undergrad and we are using the textbook called neuropsychological assessment by Lezak. Right now we are going through pathways, structures and the function of each part of the brain. Like right Thalmus vs left. It’s a ton of information and I’m having a hard time organizing everything and remembering each part of the brain and usage. It takes me roughly 3 hours to go through 30 pages (Its dense). Does anyone have any tips to study for this material?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m an undergrad and we are using the textbook called neuropsychological assessment by Lezak. Right now we are going through pathways, structures and the function of each part of the brain. Like right Thalmus vs left. It’s a ton of information and I’m having a hard time organizing everything and remembering each part of the brain and usage. It takes me roughly 3 hours to go through 30 pages (Its dense). Does anyone have any tips to study for this material?
You're having trouble, because it's not intended to be an undergraduate textbook. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, it's that the book isn't really appropriate at your stage of education and training.

Reactions: 4 users
Wow. That is super dense for an undergrad intro class. Know it's not you! If you're stuck with it, I found it helpful to outline things on chart paper using colored markers, etc. I stuck the chart paper around my apartment on the walls for easy review. But that was during grad school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. That is super dense for an undergrad intro class. Know it's not you! If you're stuck with it, I found it helpful to outline things on chart paper using colored markers, etc. I stuck the chart paper around my apartment on the walls for easy review. But that was during grad school.

So you think drawing out the pathways and brain structures help a lot? I’ll try that. I was wondering getting a 3D model of the brain would help me understand.

You're having trouble, because it's not intended to be an undergraduate textbook. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, it's that the book isn't really appropriate at your stage of education and training.
I thought so, it’s the organization which is the hardest part. Mapping my head around everything is taking extremely long time. I love it though, extremely interesting!

It's more of a reference book than anything, even in graduate school. So I agree, not an undergrad text to guide learning in that way.

That being said, plenty of my undergraduate classes (mostly in neuroscience) were dense. Incredibly. I don't even know how we fit it all into our heads. I'd approach the instructor on what is and what is not essential to know. What will you actually be tested on? Some random piece of information on the corner of page 772, or broader concepts? What are the exams like? Tailor your studying to the structure of the assessments. Study groups can help, as well as a good brain atlas for visualization. Some of these are available online.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe look for a used undergraduate neuroscience or physiological psychology book to reinforce your learning. Requiring Lezak in an undergraduate course doesn’t sit well with me; there’s a lot of information about specific tasks and measures in that book that (obviously) isn’t necessarily proprietary or protected (anyone can order the book on Amazon), but forcibly disseminating that information to non-professionals seems.. odd.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe look for a used undergraduate neuroscience or physiological psychology book to reinforce your learning. Requiring Lezak in an undergraduate course doesn’t sit well with me; there’s a lot of information about specific tasks and measures in that book that (obviously) isn’t necessarily proprietary or protected (anyone can order the book on Amazon), but forcibly disseminating that information to non-professionals seems.. odd.

The other book we are required to read is Fractured minds: A case-study approach to clinical neuropsychology by Ogden. It's not as dense compared to Lezak. I'll l look into that. Thanks!

Gonna second @PSYDR s rec of Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, it is hands down the neuroanatomy book that everyone should start with, before moving on to other things. After that, Blumenfeld's Neuroanatomy through clinical cases is helpful, but still more geared towards the grad and above level.

Reactions: 1 users
I just took neuroanatomy in grad school and did better than I expected. For me, I studied a little every day, watched videos to understand pathways. I really liked UBC’s website (online quizzes!) and videos. Participated in study groups where we came up with some ridiculous mnemonics together and had a good laugh, but it worked!

I'm in a cognitive neuroscience course....1/2 psychology students 1/2 neuroscience students. It appears to be geared more towards the neuroscience minded individuals. That said, I've been printing out our lecture slides and coloring in the areas of the brain myself (the coloring book idea) which has helped. Also there are a lot of lectures online from several universities, you may find a lecturer that resonates with your style of learning.

052524928fba979720bb6f2ba943bb0077624e-wide-thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I just took neuroanatomy in grad school and did better than I expected. For me, I studied a little every day, watched videos to understand pathways. I really liked UBC’s website (online quizzes!) and videos. Participated in study groups where we came up with some ridiculous mnemonics together and had a good laugh, but it worked!
What's UBC?
I'm with you on the study group mnemonics- that's my go-to for memorizing practically anything. Sometime with gestures/motions/dances to go along with it, if it's late and the study group is punchy enough.