Tips for studyinmg for the USMLE STEp 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajat_bhatt

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys ,
Could anyone guide me as to how to study for the USMLE Step 3 ,which books to study and which topics to lay emphasis on ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently emrolled in the Kaplan Step3 CenterPrep class (4 books in all areas of study and 90 hours of videotapes in the center). A 30 visit pass is $1500 and worth it if you really want to enhance your knowledge base.

Don't waste your time studying too much. The exam is very basic. Anyone who is currently practicing medicine in a residency program should have very little trouble passing if you are reading and keeping up in residency. Of course, a little review is needed in areas not covered in your particular residency. Certainly, though, I don't think you need to spend $1500 the first time you take the exam. Try a $20-30 review book you can find in any Med school book store.

On the other hand, if you have been out for a long time practicing in another country and are trying to pass the exam, it may be a good idea to take a review class so that you learn the US way of medical practice. Anyway, I hope this helps. Again, I wouldn't stress over this exam. Parts 1 and 2 were much more difficult.