Tips for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?m bored and I thought it might be nice to try to compile a list of hints for people about to take the MCAT. It?s been three whole years since I took it, so I?m sure I?ll miss a lot of good hints, so feel free to add on.

One thing I would like to suggest is to fill in your bubbles by the passage or by the page. I noticed some of my friends would answer a question, fill in the bubble for the question, and then go back to the next question. This wastes tons of time searching for the correct question and the correct bubble. I would recommend do a passage strait through, circling the correct answers, and then once your done, fill in the bubbles from the passage 4 questions at a time.

In the verbal section, if you know you are going to be pressed for time and might have to skip a section, I would say go strait through the exam answering the passages in order. If after reading the first paragraph of a passage and it is a subject you don?t like, fold down the page and come back to the passage. Don?t waste your time at all answering it when the last passage could be one that you can do easily. If your timer says 3 minutes left and you didn?t get to the passage, then just guess the bubbles.

I think those are my main ones for actually taking the test. Now a little bit for preparation.

I would suggest that you figure out what time you are going to wake up for the MCAT and what time you are going to go to sleep the night before. Once you know that, start getting into the daily habit of waking up and falling asleep at the same time. And have sleeping pills handy the night before in case you can?t fall asleep. I was unlucky in that I got nervous and slept about 2 hours that night. Also, if you can, get used to reading early in the morning, since verbal section is the first one you will encounter. You need to get you body prepared for the test.

When planning the day of the MCAT, be sure to have backups. Set an alarm that is not plugged into the wall, because you might have a blackout and the clock will reset. Have people call you when you?re supposed to get up. If you know someone else taking the test the same day, have a buddy system where you call each other to wake each other up. Try to have a backup ride planned in case your car doesn?t start. (You can probably tell by now I?m a bit paranoid about stuff)

Some thing that I recommend bringing the day of. Candy bars. You have ten-minute breaks that you can do anything, and I recommend keeping your sugar level up. Bring Water, but you probably don?t want to bring so much that you will have to pee during the test.

Which brings me to my most important peace of advice. WATCH WHAT YOU EAT THE NIGHT BEFORE. I would say pick one meal that you like, eat it at the same time for the week before. When you get up in the morning, take a good s***. Get used to doing this. I had a major problem where I felt like it was going to come out 30minutes into my verbal section. Luckily, the feeling went away until lunch, but it was not very pleasant to take the section under those circumstances.
Ok, that?s all I can think of right now.

Members don't see this ad.

oh man jalbrekt, it got hilarious toward the end.

anyhoo, my advice is to trust your intuition and resist the urge to change your answer unless you've been enlightened by a better line of reasoning.

remember, resist the urge...

Jalbrekt, I noticed you were giving out bubbling tips. Perhaps you are familiar with my question. Any tips for me?

Bubble fast, but don't hurry.

And it wasn't hilarious when it was happening.

Members don't see this ad :)
jalbrekt,

I hear that you are the biology sci master...on AAMC IV (took today), got 11 9 12.....How did you get your 14 in BS? And how the hell does anyone get over 10 in PS? :-(

owcc16

What works for me prolly won't work for others. I'm just lucky in that I can read extremely fast. I dont have any real hints that would help much. Study more.

Jalbrekt,
Thanx for the tips! can you outline how the hell u got such an amazing BS score(or other sections too)i am taking the test in AUG (i know-kiss of dath) and would love to hear from a pro!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr.Su:
•Jalbrekt,
Thanx for the tips! can you outline how the hell u got such an amazing BS score(or other sections too)i am taking the test in AUG (i know-kiss of dath) and would love to hear from a pro!•••••Study more. That's all I can say. By the time I took the test I had some of the review books memorized.

I know this is off the topic, but congrats on your USC acceptance Jalbrekt! :clap: :clap:

Thank you very much. My first one, and does it take a load off my chest. I will no longer have to talk about something which I might hypothetically do if I was put in a situation. But I'm very happy to be accepted to USC. Now my list has been cut to three schools.

for the verbal section, a bunch of my friends and i came up with an almost fool proof method and in light of events that year, we called it the Bill Clinton Method. Basically, if you are pressed for time, pick the answer that says the same thing as some of the above but in the more conscise way . . . Clinton never wanted to give out too much information and either do the mcat people :clap:

Wanted to bring this one back to the top for people about to suffer this saterday. Anybody else have any tips?

Hey guys,
I just want to add 1 thing. If you aren't using a countdown timer, I find it helpful to set your watch to twenty-five minutes before the hour at the start of the Verbal section (since the Verbal section is 1 hour and 25 minutes long, time would be up at the hour). Similarly, for Physics and Bio, set it to twenty minutes after the hour. Never rely on the proctor for the time. Good luck everyone!

Don't get caught up on what you don't know (seems obvious right?). Just bubble something in and go back after you've answered all the other questions that you WILL know. Also, make sure you have a healthy lunch, so you don't crash down from a sugar high in the afternoon. The bio section just seems to go on and on by the end of the day, so you need real energy and not just sugar.
Good luck all

I have some solid advice for last-minute MCAT cramming (this actually works for most bio classes) -- make your own mnemonics.

It doesn't work for everyone, but mnemonics can help if you do them the right way. The most important part is to create solid, visual, narrative stories in your mind to attach to the mnemonics. This works better than using ones found on the web (except, of course, the visual ones like FLAGTOP and SEVEN UP.)

For example, let's say you can't seem to remember the physiology of the kidney. Simply break down the kidney into its most important elements, arrange the first letters in order of fluid flow, and think up words with highly visual and narrative suggestive power (mine had something to do with Snoopy in the desert). Then, repeat the mnemonic out loud, and go through each letter explaining what it stands for and what information you want to remember about that particular item. Voila.

On the MCAT, mnemonics such as these make it easier to process some of the complex questions, as you can just jot down the mnemonic and use that to sort out your befuddled mind.

Good luck--aquapants