Tips for the sophomore undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSInspired

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently a sophomore with plans to apply to dental school during the 2011 cycle. So far I have volunteered 65+ hours in clinic, attained a dental x-ray license, became president of a PDS, completed a summer internship, and arranged plans to shadow a local dentist this summer. Furthermore, I have bought DAT prep materials (Destroyer, Kaplan, & Barrons DAT) in which I plan on tackling soon. I was wondering where do you guys think I should go from here? Attain a research position, start studying for the DAT, etc. Furthermore, I wanted to know what would be the best time to take the DAT and still have enough to process everything by the beginning of the cycle? I was thinking.. Spring 2011, but that is such a broad time frame =/ Also, since my spring quarter doesn't finish till mid june, is my application on hold till grades are received? Sorry for the mass amount of question, but hopefully someone can help. Thanks a bunch!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently a sophomore with plans to apply to dental school during the 2011 cycle. So far I have volunteered 65+ hours in clinic, attained a dental x-ray license, became president of a PDS, completed a summer internship, and arranged plans to shadow a local dentist this summer. Furthermore, I have bought DAT prep materials (Destroyer, Kaplan, CRACK DAT/PAT, & Barrons DAT) in which I plan on tackling soon. I was wondering where do you guys think I should go from here? Attain a research position, start studying for the DAT, etc. Furthermore, I wanted to know what would be the best time to take the DAT and still have enough to process everything by the beginning of the cycle? I was thinking.. Spring 2011, but that is such a broad time frame =/ Also, since my spring quarter doesn't finish till mid june, is my application on hold till grades are received? Sorry for the mass amount of question, but hopefully someone can help. Thanks a bunch!!

#1 Slow down and enjoy your undergrad
#2 Don't do what everyone else is doing. Do something you are passionate about, then do something with it
#3 Take the DAT the same year you are applying