Tips for writing a good Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I write this partly so I don't have to repeat myself too often when commenting on essays. As usual this is a work in progress, so check back for more insight I get from reading all your PS's. Hopefully others can put in their 2 cents also, since I can only give my take on things.

Note: I'm not gonna cover tips that I've read elsewhere at least twice. I'll assume you've read it too.

From what I've read so far, many people seem to be listing reasons why they wanna be a doc or what they like about medicine, and then saying "I've done blah, so this shows I like working with people," or whatever.

This does not make for a compelling read. Sure, you say you've done X and Y and you might even go into some detail about it. But you must also interpret that experience, i.e. say what it meant to you, what was your reaction to the kid puking on you, what did you get out of serving breakfast to old people in nursing homes. You get the idea.

I cannot emphasize how important this is. This is what makes an essay personal. Ask yourself for every sentence you write: could any other pre-med have written this?

Write about what's important to you, not what you THINK medical schools wanna hear. Otherwise you'll sound exactly like every other applicant. If sports or art or family is really important to you, go for it. You'll find ways of weaving in what that has to do with who you are who wants to be a physician.

Try to find a unifying theme around your experiences. This will make your essay more organized and less disjointed and more cohesive overall. I think this might require some thinking about what your experiences have in common. Maybe you'll find your approach to everything is a certain way, or something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

btw, I've finished 4 essays and have 2 in my box. Feel free to send more. When you are PMing me, PLEASE tell me if you have MS Word 97 or better, because I paste your essays into word and then comment in it directly. If you have it, please include your email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction: 4 essays in box. I can probably do around 2 a day. But of course it depends on how tired I get, going to work, and how much I want to procrastinate that day! :p

I completely agree with sunflower. This essay is my only chance to know you. Often times the message is covercome with verbage that you use because you think it makes you seem smart. It gets in your way though. Also I find that two important things are o0ften missing.
1. Why medicine, why not RN or PA?This is a critical part of the essay.
2. What makes you different from each of the other 45,000 applicants? Why should I pick you and not the other guy. What do you bring to medicine that only you can bring?
If your essay can't answer these questions then your in trouble.

For any one who needs someone to read their personal statement, feel free to PM them to me.

Update: I've got 6 essays in my box. Again, I do 2 a day on average. Read above for directions on sending me stuff.

OK, here's another tip.

Please don't try to wow the adcoms with how cool was the stuff you did or how much patient contact you had, or even how good you are with people or how you made their day. It does just the opposite.

As a reader, I am more impressed by humility and honesty about what your experiences meant to you and how they influence your pursuit of medicine. Give me something I can visualize.

Another update: I've got 6 essays I've yet to touch and 2 to follow up on. I think any new ones that arrive in my inbox will not be done until this weekend.

I have a quick tip: before you decide to start your essay with a quotation, make sure it's there for a really good reason. So many people try to be creative and begin with a little chunk of dialogue from a volunteer experience, job, etc that it's almost a cliche. Don't think that sort of opening will automatically make your essay gripping and interesting. It's the opposite: you have to work to make that kind of opening good or else it very well may backfire on you.

Hey gang,

I'm sorry I didn't get to any essays yesterday... I was just feeling down and out. I'll try to get one or two in today.

Please PM me your essay, don't email it. (I just don't like this stuff cluttering my mailbox) And then just TELL me in your PM
1) whether you have Word 97 or better
2) if yes, your email.

If you don't have word 97, don't sweat it. I can PM your essay back with comments anyway.

One more thing: At the pace I'm working, clearly I cannot give instantaneous feedback. I'm sorry about this, because I know you all are continuously redrafting your essays. For the sake of continuity, I WILL look at updated drafts, but I would prefer that you wait til I give you comments first.

Relatively prime also has a thread on PS's: <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013666" target="_blank">a few more tips on PS</a>

I'm also willing to help on essays (and have already done so for a few! :) ). I spent a great deal of time as a technical writing assistant in college (for the sciences) and am constantly writing for both medical and non-medical applications. . . !! :)

My biggest piece of advice: MAKE SURE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT MED SCHOOLS ARE LOOKING FOR PROOFREADS YOUR ESSAY. It isn't enough that your favorite high school english lit teacher thinks its amazing, you NEED someone who's successfully gone through the process to help!!

Update: I've finally sent out a couple, and oops! I seemed to have got to one after it was sent, so I'm down to 7 now.

I'm sure by bedtime I'll be down to 6.

RogerRabbit: you don't accept PM, so I hope you read this. Your essay got cut off for some reason. I'm sure it's not a lot, since it was at the end: "needs of patients and soc". Please send me the rest. I'm gonna read the other essays til I get the whole thing.

bump for anybody needing tips on writing.

btw, I'm down to 3 essays in my inbox. Should be done with all by Monday.

Skyhawkd: I need some way of sending you my comments. Either turn on your PM, or give me your email address!

Wow. I've gotten a LOT more than I expected!! :)

I'm going to try to do all of them but it may be a few days because I am moving at the end of this coming week and it's going to be crazy!! :)