Tips in writing draft LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHAINCHOMPER

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My professor said that he wants me to write a first draft letter, and then after, he will work from there and then gladly send it in. So my questions are...

1) How long should it be? Is one page good enough?
2) Since I am writing, should i just gloss it with all positive traits? Or, should i put lots of stuff which the professor may not know about me, so that in addition to what he writes, he has more information.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1-2 pages is probably good.

The letter should include:
-What classes the prof taught you in
-What special projects you worked on in class or with the professor
-Your performance in class
-Your role, if any, as a leader or standout in class (were you a team leader?, did you have the best project in the class?)
-A positive endorsement of you as a candidate for medical school
-Information regarding career discussions, maturity, and preparedness for med school. Something like -- "I have discussed chainchomper's plans with him, and I was impressed by the careful thought he has put into his decision. He is aware of how difficult the path he has chosen will be, but I feel that he has shown the maturity and determination to become a physician."

Avoid restatement of C.V. items. This is an opportunity to write a great letter for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks much!

This gives me a good idea of how to go about doing this.

Also, BUMP for anyone else in this situation

I would hate to write a letter about myself. Just thinking about it gives me the creeps.