Tips on deciding where to apply (e.g., step 1 cut offs, fellowships, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nevadabear123

Reaction score
Hello SDN!

Does anyone have any tips on choosing how to finalize a list of schools to apply? I'm trying to see if there are websites displaying step 1 cut offs and wondering if it's a good idea to apply to places with lots of fellowships in my area of interest? Is it generally easier to get accepted in a midwest or Southern program?

-4th year ready to submit application

Members don't see this ad.

I was a VERY uncompetitive applicant, you probably aren't. I picked a few "dream" programs, many middle of the road programs and a few "safety net" programs to be on the safe side. I didn't rank any program where I knew I would be unhappy. I ranked a brand new program (ie we were the first class) really high and that was a big mistake because I matched there. An established program IMO is better than a new program. You will get a basic feel for the programs when you interview. But remember, most if not all are trying to sell their program to you, just like you are trying to sell yourself as a great applicant. I went to as many dinners the night before to see if they were people I would like working with, I tried to chat it up with residents who were not involved in the interview or dinner, some programs select particular residents to really sell the program. Look at the residents, do they seem happy, do they look tired, do they seem to like each other? Getting the interview is Step 1 and then getting the spot is step 2. I also scheduled my interviews for programs lower on my desired list first for practice for the interview and made it sound fresh (high school love of theater and acting classes really helped :) ) . I think the interview in psychiatry is pretty important. A few places were obviously trying to analyze me lol. If you are not so competitive apply broadly and to many programs, if you are competitive you don't have to apply to as many programs. I ended up transferring to a second residency program my PGY 3 year because my first program was falling apart and I was working up to 120 hours a week and after they got 4 or 5 year ACGME accreditation, they made significant changes and our PD quit ASAP. Worst case scenario, you can likely switch programs if you are really unhappy with where you end up. A lot of residents leave their program to do child psych and that opens up a space for you. Try not to stress. Most people match and into their top 3 at worst. Many get their first choice. If you get too many invites for interview, you can decline, but if you aren't competitive apply to many programs. Out of state programs asked if I had friends or family in the area. Psych is becoming more competitive but it's not derm. Try to relax. Be yourself during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user