1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on endurance during exam day?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by May3Exam, Jun 1, 2008.

1. May3Exam

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any tips on how to deal with the 8 hour exam?? And how to stay focused until the last question? Of, course, other than taking practice exams.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr McSteamy

Dr McSteamy sh*tting in your backyard
    2+ Year Member

slap yourself in the face periodically

4. May3Exam

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks. I'll be picturing you in my head when i do that. seriously, i wouldn't waste my time and post something to get an answer like that.

5. Babycatcher2B

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took a break after almost every block. Looking forward to the breaks kept me motivated.

6. MeowMix

MeowMix Explaining "Post-Call"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I was studying for the MCAT, I read the Examkrackers advice that said, "Take a break, or your brain will go ahead and take one while you are trying to take the test." I still think this is excellent advice.

Step 1 is bad, but you are fuelled by adrenaline and fear. Step 2 CK and CS are brutally long and boring. My personal strategy for the computer tests is a break after every block, a chocolate treat after every block, and quick walk outside after every block. This is only possible at certain test centers, of course; our local one is excellent.

Other people like the blast-through-and-get-done-before-I-die-of-boredom approach.

You definitely need to build endurance by doing a lot of practice questions, just like training for an endurance race.

7. EBKame

EBKame Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I left a thermos with coffee in the lockers provided for Step I. Every break I took entailed a little coffee and a bite of a granola bar. I didn't take the full lunch break because I thought it would ruin the momentum, I had going.

8. doc20

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    energy drinks like gatorade, or atleast keep yourself hydrated
    and simlpe advice as to get adequate sleep the day before

9. polynikesdb

2+ Year Member

Lifesavers mints are good to pop in the mouth when you feel sluggish.

10. McSnappy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Training has got to be Standing around during rounds on 24 inpatient Internal Med Patients, of which 7 are new from the night before. We started rounding @ 9am and finished @ 6:30... rounding!:eek:
    Lord have Mercy for Intern Year!

that alone should have me prepared. Then add in having to answer pimping questions for 7+hours per day. At least half I don't know and the ones I do, not to enough detail. My brain is cooking most of the day, then go home and look up some "important" topic to be presented in rounds the next day:oops:, get up @ 5 to be there by six to round on my 4-6pts to write my note, to present my note and watch my comrades go up in flames only to step up to the stake and impale myself on the same fire. Yippeee. Lovin' it:love:

11. SamusLives

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    caffeine to stay focused

aspirin and tylenol to prevent headaches (I get them at the worst times)