tips on getting max gpa before applying to Pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LdotBlake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Medical Lab Science major, and currently completing my pre-pharmacy pre reqs right now. I'm in my 3rd year so far w/ a not so hot GPA of 2.8. My freshmen year I was going through a lot of problems, and almost built the nerve to dropout. But things changed for the better since then and within the next year or so, I have to take a year long internship for my major to complete my degree and receive my bachelors. I plan on taking the PCAT before the internship, then apply to pharmacy schools before I graduate. I have to take a few more pre req classes (O. Chem, Micro, Biochem, Calc:thumbdown:) but I just wanted any advice on getting through these next couple of years and exceed expectations and get into Pharmacy school after I graduate. My older relative got into pharmacy school w/o a great GPA as well, and is a P3 now but I think his was a little better than mine currently. Also about to get certified asa Pharmacy tech this summer and start working to get more hands on experience since the best way I learn is through observation and studying mannerisms and habits. Any advice will be taken constructively.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, with a GPA of 2.8, you need to evaluate your study habits and where you are going wrong and start making A's. As of right now, you are either at or below the cut-off GPA for most schools. The average GPA of people accepted in my state has been around 3.4-3.6 with a cut-off GPA, i.e. thrown in garbage if below and automatic rejection letter, around a B average (3.0).

You're almost there so hang in there. :) But seriously, you should evaluate your study habits now. It will get way harder once you get into pharmacy school so might as well getting every straight now.

Yeah with a 2.8 things are going to be rough, especially when you're having to take all your generally tougher prerequisites coming up. Honestly, having a good GPA is probably the single most important quality when applying, especially a good science GPA. I would say re-evaluate your priorities; try to study much more (procrastinate less if you do procrastinate) and get involved less, which I kind of feel really weird saying :p. If you really try to raise that GPA, and do well on the PCAT (which you will probably need an above average score) you will have a good shot! I would also suggest applying a lot of places to increase your odds. Also, I got in with no practical pharmacy experience and a good GPA. If you think being a tech could get in the way of your study habits, I would highly suggest not doing it and solely focusing on your classes, and you could use your heightened GPA much to your advantage in your interview if your results are significant.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Medical Lab Science major, and currently completing my pre-pharmacy pre reqs right now. I'm in my 3rd year so far w/ a not so hot GPA of 2.8. My freshmen year I was going through a lot of problems, and almost built the nerve to dropout. But things changed for the better since then and within the next year or so, I have to take a year long internship for my major to complete my degree and receive my bachelors. I plan on taking the PCAT before the internship, then apply to pharmacy schools before I graduate. I have to take a few more pre req classes (O. Chem, Micro, Biochem, Calc:thumbdown:) but I just wanted any advice on getting through these next couple of years and exceed expectations and get into Pharmacy school after I graduate. My older relative got into pharmacy school w/o a great GPA as well, and is a P3 now but I think his was a little better than mine currently. Also about to get certified asa Pharmacy tech this summer and start working to get more hands on experience since the best way I learn is through observation and studying mannerisms and habits. Any advice will be taken constructively.

Do you have an upward trend in your GPA?

thanks for all the advice and i am definitely done with procrastination and have cut off a lot of old friends I used to hang around with that did nothing but smoke and sell weed all day. My Gpa trends have always been the same, I've only had like two semesters where I had a GPA higher than 3.0. I know the odds are against me and my competition is stiff, but I figure if I don't get into Pharmacy school anywhere here, I would just go overseas (Philippines) and go to Med school there and get my MD. Im half filipino and my mom is from there and I have family there so I know I would be taken care of.

I was accepted with a 3.0 GPA, but my last 6 semesters I had an average GPA of 3.5 I believe.

It can be done, you just need to show a strong upward trend and rock the PCAT just to be safe. If you don't have an upward trend, considering maybe extending undergrad another year or so if possible to help build it up.