tips on how to beat nervousness on THE DAY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcat_study

eukaryote
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
please, some advice? :)

Members don't see this ad.

yes this would be very helpful, some non-medicinal tips.

so far i haven't had any major anxiety, but since this is my second time writing, i feel a lot more pressure.

i remember last year writing, the worst moments were at the beginning of a section. its like a rush of adrenaline...and it was a little hard to focus in that point. but once you got into the second passage or so, it was fine.

and after lunch pretty much all my nerves were gone!

This might sound harsh, but don't talk to anyone at your test site for the duration of the day. EVERYONE is nervous, whether they show it or not. When you're nervous, you naturally do one of two things: (1) complain about how nervous you are or (2) say things that will make you feel better about yourself. Needless to say, talking to others who exhibit (1) and (2) will only make YOU more nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know. unfortuantely i'm going to know a bunch of ppl at my testing site. hopefully they won't be too offended if i just sneak out and eat alone.

bananaboat said:
i know. unfortuantely i'm going to know a bunch of ppl at my testing site. hopefully they won't be too offended if i just sneak out and eat alone.

my advice: STAY AWAY FROM NEGATIVE PEOPLE!!!

bananaboat said:

The MCAT is NOT the time to be considering anyone's feelings but you're own. ;)

i would agree not to talk to anyone...and for that matter, don't listen to anyone either.

when i took it people we discussing facts and formulas, and if i listened, i would get confused!
bring an ipod, bring some flashcards...keep to yourself!

Luckily, I won't know anyone in the city where I'm taking the test, let alone the testing center.

Are you ****ing serious? Don't take beta blockers. If you can't handle this stress, how will you handle the stress in an emergent situation when you are responsible for someone's life?
Anxiety is something we will all face in this career- whether on the MCAT, during Boards, during residency, giving a presentation, or telling a family that their loved one just died under your care. We need to learn to manage it without resorting to meds.

mcat_study said:
can someone recommend specific beta-blockers?
thank you :)

Schaden Freud said:
Are you ****ing serious? Don't take beta blockers. If you can't handle this stress, how will you handle the stress in an emergent situation when you are responsible for someone's life?
Anxiety is something we will all face in this career- whether on the MCAT, during Boards, during residency, giving a presentation, or telling a family that their loved one just died under your care. We need to learn to manage it without resorting to meds.

Well, what if the situation was.. a doctor who didn't use drugs and handled stress poorly, causing more deaths, versus a doctor who did use drugs and handled stress better, causing less deaths?

I mean, in the end, being a doctor isn't like being an athlete. Nobody is going to condemn you for taking high performance drugs to "win the race", because winning the race is a) your goddamn job and b) something everyone wants (especially whoever's life you saved).

Sometimes I get scared sh**less making presentations, but I've (as of yet) never taken antianxiety drugs, mostly because of my biopsych background and knowing that those things are bad bad bad for you.

But if someone else chooses to make that decision, then all the power to him/her... I'm not gonna feel "gypped" because someone else took beta blockers and got an A+ on their presentation while I ended up with a B-.

So in conclusion, it's your body, it's your career, it's your own damn choice.

Schaden Freud said:
Aren't we being hypocrites by denying someone medication that they may need? Anxiety is a disease just like any other that we will be treating. If I have a patient that needs beta blockers for anxiety, I will write them the script. And if they need to be on them long-term so that they can treat their own patients when they become physicians, I will help them out. Anxiety isn't always "all in your head." If someone can't control the physiological symptoms, medicine was created to help them out. That's the whole point of our profession.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
trozman said:
Well, what if the situation was.. a doctor who didn't use drugs and handled stress poorly, causing more deaths, versus a doctor who did use drugs and handled stress better, causing less deaths?

I mean, in the end, being a doctor isn't like being an athlete. Nobody is going to condemn you for taking high performance drugs to "win the race", because winning the race is a) your goddamn job and b) something everyone wants (especially whoever's life you saved).

Sometimes I get scared sh**less making presentations, but I've (as of yet) never taken antianxiety drugs, mostly because of my biopsych background and knowing that those things are bad bad bad for you.

But if someone else chooses to make that decision, then all the power to him/her... I'm not gonna feel "gypped" because someone else took beta blockers and got an A+ on their presentation while I ended up with a B-.

when i wrote my first practice test, i was quite nervous, b/c we're treating it like the real deal. but i've realized that part of the "winning" performance on test day is indeed to keep your mind calm and clear, especially for verbal and biology, or you won't be able to think right. To keep calm, I like to pep talk myself going "meh, it's no big deal, keep calm dude", then taking a deep breath while staring off into space...i don't know how i'll be on test day though, since i haven't done any simulations with proctors etc, just doing passages at the library...hopefully i'll have a calm and clear head that day - but yea, we all gotta keep calm in order to do well. :luck:

Schaden Freud said:

many people think of doctors as gods or robots that just fly around us. BIG MISTAKE!!!
no, actually doctors are human also, and i'd rather be operated by a great professional cardiac surgeon who takes his anxiety or anti-asthma, etc. medication, rather than die from the hands of a crappy medication-free one. :rolleyes: AMEN

Reactions: 1 user
mcat_study said:

mine is quite simple. chances are, you will be most anxious/nervous in the morning of the test day, reaching its maxima moments before opening the PS booklet.

hold your breath before opening the test booklet and close your eye. When the protor says "you can begin," open your eye as wide as possible and shout the following phrase 3 times.

"I AM GONNA OWN THIS FU-KING BITCH"

And laugh out loud as hard as you can for 10-20 sec.

you might waste 1 min of your precious time and might jeopardize your life by doing this,
but
i guarantee that the nervousness will be gone. ;)

by the way, this technique is very similar to siatsu; the nervousness/anxiety will be totally replaced by embarrassment/fear of your life. :p

grapeflavorsoda said:
mine is quite simple. chances are, you will be most anxious/nervous in the morning of the test day, reaching its maxima moments before opening the PS booklet.

hold your breath before opening the test booklet and close your eye. When the protor says "you can begin," open your eye as wide as possible and shout the following phrase 3 times.

:p

That was F-n hilarious! I laughed so hard I cried.

grapeflavorsoda said:

you might waste 1 min of your precious time and might jeopardize your life by doing this,
but

by the way, this technique is very similar to siatsu; the nervousness/anxiety will be totally replaced by embarrassment/fear of your life. :p
:laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh: :smuggrin:

walk into the room, and say really obnoxiously, OMG, I only got a 37 on my last diag, i'm so screwed!! People will hate you. Its fun.

(no...i didnt do this on test day)

ADeadLois said:
This might sound harsh, but don't talk to anyone at your test site for the duration of the day. EVERYONE is nervous, whether they show it or not. When you're nervous, you naturally do one of two things: (1) complain about how nervous you are or (2) say things that will make you feel better about yourself. Needless to say, talking to others who exhibit (1) and (2) will only make YOU more nervous.

I second this!!! Talking to people can really screw your confidence. Especially if they start blabbing how easy everything is. Usually during breaks, I avoid everyone like the plague. I also try not to sit next to ppl I know. Whenever I sit next to friends, my mind wanders. :)

Between PS and VR, I pull out some old passages and read, to get my mind ready for verbal. This helps.

:luck:

You will naturally relax halfway through PS. And I also recommend that you relax every time you bubble the two pages of answers. Relax your eyes so you don't strain and breathe deeply. Smiling is good too. (Zen-bubbling)

mcat_study said:

Just remember that you have studied hard and this is not the end of the world....it is only one step to medical school. Remember that EVERYONE will come out of the MCAT saying the same thing "oh **** I bombed it" or "Oh my I just don't know how I did" (even the people who got a 43 said this)

Anxiety in general is not a disease, but a normal emotional state if it is appropriate for the situation. The MCAT is a high-stress situation in which anxiety is very appropriate. Everyone is nervous during the MCAT- if you aren't nervous, you're probably a sociopath. Point being, learn to control your anxiety to where you can function despite it. Medicine is meant for people who are sick, despite what pharmaceutical companies like to drill into our heads.

chaeymaey said:
Aren't we being hypocrites by denying someone medication that they may need? Anxiety is a disease just like any other that we will be treating. If I have a patient that needs beta blockers for anxiety, I will write them the script. And if they need to be on them long-term so that they can treat their own patients when they become physicians, I will help them out. Anxiety isn't always "all in your head." If someone can't control the physiological symptoms, medicine was created to help them out. That's the whole point of our profession.

The doctor who cannot handle the stress without resorting to drugs ought not be in medicine in the first place.

trozman said:

Schaden Freud said:
The doctor who cannot handle the stress without resorting to drugs ought not be in medicine in the first place.

Why not? Is the doctor unique in that position? If so, you better have a good reason. There are plenty of jobs much more stressful than being a physician, and plenty less, and as I'm sure you're aware, drug use is rampant in either case.

And look at the number of doctors who smoke to "calm their nerves". Are you saying they should just all quit?

So the only people left are gonna be sociopaths, and normal people who end up with heart disease and get colds every few weeks because of the high levels of cortisol running around in their body?

Nice.

grapeflavorsoda said:

but

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaha, thanks for the laugh. :laugh:

Schaden Freud said:

You are an idiot.

I am talking solely about prescription medication that is misused, e.g. beta blockers. I am not talking about people taking prescribed meds for a legit psychiatric disorder, and I am certainly not talking about nicotine or alcohol.

trozman said:
Why not? Is the doctor unique in that position? If so, you better have a good reason. There are plenty of jobs much more stressful than being a physician, and plenty less, and as I'm sure you're aware, drug use is rampant in either case.

And look at the number of doctors who smoke to "calm their nerves". Are you saying they should just all quit?

So the only people left are gonna be sociopaths, and normal people who end up with heart disease and get colds every few weeks because of the high levels of cortisol running around in their body?

Nice.

Paxil for all . . .

A few random observations:

* I talked to people on test day. We laughed at ourselves, complained about the test, reviewed a little. I got a 39S. Imagine what I could have done if I'd ignored everyone!

* The problem of how to use medication is a complex one, esp. as it relates to character and personality. The "disease" model only takes us so far. At what point does a normal character trait become a pathological condition? On the other hand, don't we, by leaping to the crude tools medication provides, enable the neglect of simple and effective techniques for developing maturity and self-control? When an issue like this doesn't admit of a clear, simple, provable answer, it seems to me that the best policy is to respect each other's choices.

* I'm dealing with this in my own life. I sought counseling for issues in my married life, and he thinks I have ADHD. He wants to try a course of Ritilan. Now, he a good practictioner, I trust him and I see the symptoms he sees. On the other hand, see the score above, see my career as a medic, see my admission to med school. And then there is the part of me that thinks -- even if I don't have ADHD, a little help focusing would sure make A&P easier. And then I wonder if it is wrong to be thinking about taking a safe, non-addictive drug to improve my performance. Then again, I don't drink my morning coffee for the taste, if you follow me. It's one of the tougher decisions I've been faced with lately.

Schaden Freud said:
Good argument, dingus.

What can I say? I figured that the argument about how you are broadly classifying a group of people and assigning general traits to them, and how that is incorrect, would go over your head.

Just calling you an idiot is much quicker.... and probably more effective.

Kikaku21 said:
What can I say? I figured that the argument about how you are broadly classifying a group of people and assigning general traits to them, and how that is incorrect, would go over your head.

Just calling you an idiot is much quicker.... and probably more effective.

damn i think we all need some beta blockers right now

seadizzle said:
let your body calm itself down naturally

through orgasm

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't read that last line, I was like "calm yourself down naturally??" then boom with the last two words. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, I know one things for sure, if you have problems with anxiety and nervousness, having an E drink or coffee can make it worse.