Tips on how to finish PS in time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnafordays

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just so I understand this - you finished TBR practice tests with overall less time (or at least less timing woes) than AAMC tests? That to me is suspicious because TBR is notorious for being more difficult than the AAMC - then again you didn't disclose your scores.
Despite that difference, what it looks like from my shoes is test anxiety. Are you becoming too much of a perfectionist on test day? Are you trying to prove every last bit of an equation to make sure you have the right answer instead of taking that last short cut (because you have and can do so in the past)? This may be what's happening. You may be telling yourself on test day that this is it, that it was all for the next 5 hours, and that may be too much hype. That may be affecting how you perform. Calm down, go in with confidence, tell yourself your ready, and attack it like you do practice tests (though spend the remaining time working on becoming just a touch quicker).

Reactions: 1 user
I would focus on approximating calculations rather than actually working them out. That could easily shave off a few minutes if you're not already doing it

I can't remember where I saw this, but I write it down on my scratch paper to help me keep pace on my tests:

#13 – 54 min.
#26 – 38 min.
#39 – 22 min.
#52 – 6 min.

Members don't see this ad :)
The bigger issue is probably content knowledge/understanding. If you know the material backwards and forwards, you will get through questions faster.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone! I'll use your tips during tomorrow's MCAT, and I'll let you guys know how it goes!

I had the same problem.

DON'T TRY TO PROVE WITH 110% ACCURACY EVERY ANSWER CHOICE!

Go with your initial choice and don't over-think anything.

Whip work tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 users
I finished PS in time with some extra time to spare! woohoo! I finally submitted my MCAT score.

Before taking the 1/23 exam, I bought AAMC's Physical Sciences self-assessment package, and just did all the problems. I did a few TBR Physics passages to reinforce some content that I needed help with. I wanted to know the material forwards and backwards- like what justadream suggested.

On the day of my exam...
1) I used the timing method TheRhymenocerous posted. It helped a LOT when it came to determining when I should move on from a difficult problem.
2) I tried not to overthink and went with my gut feeling. This subsided my test anxiety. Thanks TheNextTutor_1 and Thoroughbred_Med!

Although I won't get my score back for awhile, I wanted to thank the SDN community for the help. You guys rock!

Reactions: 2 users