Tips on how to Succeed at Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question.

I have seen so many other topics where people have recommended specific textbooks.

Like Netters for Anatomy
BRS for Physiology
Lippincott for Biochemistry

But I don't really understand how they can do this. Doesn't which book you use completely depend on the professor and what kind of exam questions they may have?

Also, are students expected to study both material from these textbooks and the course notes and memorize it all? Thanks!

Well you would be right, lecture notes are the best option for school. However if you don't understand something then going to a textbook may help. BRS Phys was great for our cumulative final altho I never used any biochem textbook. It all depends on you, but those are the gold standard of books. Netters is necessary, or another atlas for learning gross - theres no text its just pictures labeled.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question.

I have seen so many other topics where people have recommended specific textbooks.

Like Netters for Anatomy
BRS for Physiology
Lippincott for Biochemistry

But I don't really understand how they can do this. Doesn't which book you use completely depend on the professor and what kind of exam questions they may have?

Also, are students expected to study both material from these textbooks and the course notes and memorize it all? Thanks!

The other texts are supplemental. I typically made sure I understood everything in the class notes then went back and read my supplemental texts to get a different viewpoint. A lot of these books have good mnemonics and easier ways to conceptualize topics as well. If you have a full and thorough understanding of the material, it shouldn't matter what source you used to learn it.

So basically... go to class notes first. Understand them.

Then use these other texts to get a better grasp. Correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically... go to class notes first. Understand them.

Then use these other texts to get a better grasp. Correct?

Yes but depending on your school you may not even need texts (other than gross atlas). My school gives us more than enough notes where I never even bought or needed a textbook. Some of my friends who bought all the books regretted it because they never used them. However this may not apply to every class and every school so you'll hafta feel out the classes yourself and ask your ms2 colleagues if they ever used any books. If your tempted to buy any book before classes start get Netters atlas - something you will def need and will prob keep after ms1. Some people may suggest other atlases but I don't think you can ever go wrong with Netters, its pretty much the gold standard for gross.

I heard some vague ideas about organizing the way you study for certain days..I'm not sure if I remember it right but I think this was how it went (please correct me),

Sunday: Quickly skim through the lecture for the following monday-friday so that you are familiar with some terms when you hear them in lecture. Read the lecture for the following day (monday) in more depth.

Monday-Friday: Go to lecture (or listen to the recording) and go home and study the lecture of that day (or your notes of it) once more. Read the lecture for the following day in more depth.

Saturday: Review all the lectures of the week.

Sunday: Repeat.

According to this technique, within a week, you would have had the chance to look at each lecture 5 times. Once, on Sunday (brief). Once the day before the lecture (more in depth). Once during the lecture. Once after the lecture (in very painful detail). And once on the Saturday at the end of the week when reviewing all the lectures for that week.

I think I got it down right, but if anyone else is familiar with this strategy, give us some feedback.

Great in theory, but this never really worked for me in practice. By the time I finished prepping for the next day's lectures, I was too burnt out to review stuff from that day. At times, we had four hours of lecture on very different topics to prepare for (though all under the same umbrella, at least), and some were a lot more intense than others.

But yes, repetition is key. I normally prepared for the following day, then made sure I'd finish our learning objectives by the end of the week. I'd review them all at the end of the week, and again at least once by the time the exam came around (which was usually four weeks of material).

You have to know everything. You won't. Get used to it.

They've gone away from course notes at my school, making some of the review texts very helpful for studying. And some of the notes they do provide us are amazing, and others suck so that we have to look at other resources to understand the material. So it depends entirely on your school. Besides, in the end, you're taking the same exam as the rest of us, and many people use those books to study for boards. Even if your school gives you a very tailored exam, Step 1 (and beyond) will be based on the whole of the knowledge base you're expected to master, even if it isn't covered at your school.

Do you guys have any tips on how to survive medical school and do well besides the generic 'work hard'?

Yeah, don't get yourself into a toxic relationship.....and if you're already in one as a pre-med do not take it with you into med school.

What I defined as a "toxic relationship"?
I'm actually very curious.

What I defined as a "toxic relationship"?
I'm actually very curious.

My take on it -

The ones that suck the life out of you. The other person (doesn't have to be a S.O.) is a downer, and you feel a lot worse after you spend time with them than you did before. I think this is pretty important when you want/need to focus on your classes which are already taxing. Having a toxic/unsupportive person on the side makes it twice as hard if not impossible to do well.

There's actually books on toxic people :p if you feel like amazon-ing it.

1) Bolded the important points. After about a week I quit studying with anyone in my class because people go bat**** crazy. If you study around a lot of people from your class, you WILL become paranoid about the fact that classmate_003 spent 12 hours learning the intricacies of disease_9243 even though there was only a slide and a half on it in class. If you study with him, in spite of the fact that you're a smart person and you KNOW that he's wrong, you will get paranoid anyway and it will make you miserable (and a less efficient studier).

2) Study smart. A transcript (or whatever your note-taking service produces) of a bad lecture is still a bad treatment of a material -- simply because some poor schlub had to transcribe and try and organize it doesn't make it better. You can attempt to memorize every word the scripts (as some of your classmates will), and while that might cut it for phys/histo, that strategy won't work for path for most people. If you study to understand the material, you'll a) be happier and b) do better than ~90% of the people who try to memorize the lecture scripts and slides. There will still be 5-10% who will beat you (because, let's face it, a few professors will ask questions that are essentially "What is the third word of the second line on the 43rd slide of my lecture presentation?" and you'll get them wrong), but as long as you're consistently in the top 10-20% of the class, you'll be in great shape.

3) It's all about consistency. You will probably never get the top score on any exam -- but if you're ~1 standard deviation above the mean on every exam, you will be in a phenomenal position with regard to board knowledge and your class rank. The thing to avoid is letting yourself get caught in a cycle of do really well --> procrastinate for the next one --> do poorly --> study really hard --> do well --> procrastinate... etc.

4) Figure out who writes the questions for every single exam. I know some schools use standardized tests (NBME exams) so this may be less applicable, but at my school, the person writing the test made a huge difference. MDs almost never ask questions that are not relevant to clinical practice (probably because they don't remember the information), whereas PhDs tend to be much more "knowledge for the sake of knowledge" and ask silly details. Figure out whether the course director writes the whole test, part of the test and the lecturers write part, or whether the lecturers write all of their own questions. It's a game -- and half the battle is understanding your opponent.

5) Try and avoid pulling late nights before the exam. Extra study time is almost never worth being sleep deprived because you're so much sharper on a good night's sleep. Whenever possible, I tried to stop studying around ~9pm the night before the exam and have a beer and relax.

6) Have fun. It's a lot of work, but if you're smart about the workload you'll have plenty of free time to relax. Make some friends, continue your hobbies, go to a bar every once in a while. It's not the end of life as you know it.

Your advice is ROCK solid!! Seems like your sanity is pretty intact. Thank you!!

I recently finished preclinical

From someone who from time to time enjoyed the luxury of doing well on a midterm only to miserably fail a very difficult final and barely pass the class: Overstudy the hell out of your first few exams

From someone who ate like crap 1st year and didn't exercise to turning it around 2nd year: Exercise regularly, have a moderately healthy diet

From someone who had loads of different study groups and summary sheets sent to him: Don't be afraid to make as many friends in class as possible. If one group isn't working for you work your way into another group.

From someone who went from reading, to watching lectures, to skipping class to attending class to writing it out to highlighting to talking it over with a friend: Be self-aware of your study habits and learn to adapt when something you're trying isn't working.

Most important: Mental Fortitude. The first two years and it's crapload of info require a lot of willpower to get through.

I'm REALLY glad I have a solid background in Anatomy & Physiology w/ both my BS and MS... of course, it can't be anywhere near as rigorous as Medical school... but at least it is a foundation. Hopefully it makes me first 2 years a little more tolerable.

Thanks for THESE tips!

4) Figure out who writes the questions for every single exam. I know some schools use standardized tests (NBME exams) so this may be less applicable, but at my school, the person writing the test made a huge difference. MDs almost never ask questions that are not relevant to clinical practice (probably because they don't remember the information), whereas PhDs tend to be much more "knowledge for the sake of knowledge" and ask silly details. Figure out whether the course director writes the whole test, part of the test and the lecturers write part, or whether the lecturers write all of their own questions. It's a game -- and half the battle is understanding your opponent..

I go to a Canadian school, but I assume that the same holds true. Can you expand on this point? If I am understanding you, you are saying that if the professor (i.e. who I assume is a PhD) writes their own exams, then study their slides/notes. However, what if the course director writes the tests or part of the test? Then what do you do? I thought NBME exams were the shelf exams written in 3rd year? Are they some designed specifically for 1st and 2nd year?

Thanks.

Be humble. Don't brag about your grades, don't constantly talk about scores/residencies/GPAs. Just don't be THAT PERSON who can't shut up about school & how much of a gunner they are. And on that same note, don't listen to people who are like that. Ignore those that talk about their 16 hour study days and their 6th run through of FA. Focus on yourself and do what YOU need to do.

Med school is so much more enjoyable when you have good friends and a solid support system. . Being a douche to your classmates won't get you anywhere - so be humble, treat your colleagues with respect and be there for each other when the going gets tough.

Group study. I cannot reccomend this enough. You may think you don't have time for it, or that you don't work well with others but you will be surprised by how much you DO learn from your colleagues. At least try it out a few times. Get 2, maybe 3 of your friends together and set aside time for a few hours every week to review that week's material. Then do problem sets together. This was really helpful for me - oftentimes I was approaching a question the wrong way and hearing how other students figured out the answer improved my test-taking skills. Make these study groups fun - order pizza or go to a local coffee shop. So many people think group study is a waste of a time but I found it to be 10000x more helpful than self-study. Also when you discuss concepts out loud with friends and bounce answers back and forth you are more likely to remember them come test day. Seriously I can hear my friends' voices in my head when it comes to test day.

Also one last thing that may seem pretty obvious - Don't make insensitive jokes & don't laugh at inappropriate things. You will be talking about a lot of uncomfortable/embarrassing diseases & symptoms, and you never who you could offend if you say the wrong thing. Just remember to always be mature and professional.

Last edited:
I go to a Canadian school, but I assume that the same holds true. Can you expand on this point? If I am understanding you, you are saying that if the professor (i.e. who I assume is a PhD) writes their own exams, then study their slides/notes. However, what if the course director writes the tests or part of the test? Then what do you do? I thought NBME exams were the shelf exams written in 3rd year? Are they some designed specifically for 1st and 2nd year?

Thanks.

Dug up an old thread on this one, but I'm happy to report that my advice as above worked as well for me second year as it did first year. As far as who writes the tests -- it depends on the module. As I said, the course director sometimes wrote ours, the lecturers sometimes did. It depended on the course director, too. For our cardiology module (we're a systems-based curriculum), we had a cardiac pathologist and a cardiologist as course directors -- so all of the questions were 100% clinical. For renal, we had an ion transport phys PhD as our course director -- so the balance was much more toward basic science.

There's no secret recipe, it's just a matter of feeling out the person writing the questions to see what they feel is important. It's the same way you did in undergrad where you tried to see what your professor thought was important in his lectures and study that -- except this time, the guy lecturing may not be the guy writing the questions. That's the key difference.

NBME makes basic science exams along the standard curriculum model -- Phys/Path/Biochem/etc. My school didn't use them, but some supposedly do.

Be humble.

Group study. ...

Also one last thing that may seem pretty obvious - Don't make insensitive jokes & don't laugh at inappropriate things. You will be talking about a lot of uncomfortable/embarrassing diseases & symptoms, and you never who you could offend if you say the wrong thing. Just remember to always be mature and professional.

Your comment illustrates something that I forgot in my original post: figure out what works for you. Your comment, except for the obvious don't be a douche section, represents the exact opposite of my strategy for coping with med school. I almost never studied with my classmates, I made lots of friends outside of medical school, and I consider humor (yes, even inappropriate) a key stress relief mechanism in clinic, though the latter obviously without being inappropriate toward my patients.

YMMV.