Tips on improving C/P?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started doing full lengths practice exams (EK/TPR) and I am a little disheartened. I am consistently scoring about 50-60% on C/P and always run out of time (with 2-3 passages left). Does anybody have any good tips on improving C/P?

I used TBR for content review, which I thought was good but the new passage style is very different. I know practice is key, and I can certainly further solidify my content knowledge/memorization, but I came across a lot of "WTF" passages on the FLs and couldn't even figure out where to start.

I have the EK books so I'm going to work through the 30 min. exams, and continue doing FLs. But any other suggestions on how to practice for this section? How helpful were the Khan academy practice problems?

I have ~ 1 month until my exam date and I'm hoping to be able to raise my C/P up to at least ~70% on these FL practice exams. Is that realistic? :/

Members don't see this ad.

Improving C/P requires studying C/P. Improving on time requires reading faster/doing the questions faster and paying attention to the clock.

Okay... Tips on studying* C/P....

But isn't your problem more with time? If you're straight up losing out on 2-3 passages I don't know how that relates to a lack of knowledge. Unless your lack of knowledge is requiring you to take longer on questions. But that also doesn't make sense, since if you straight up don't know the answer you click an answer that seems best, mark it, and move on as quickly as any other question.

Members don't see this ad :)
But isn't your problem more with time? If you're straight up losing out on 2-3 passages I don't know how that relates to a lack of knowledge. Unless your lack of knowledge is requiring you to take longer on questions. But that also doesn't make sense, since if you straight up don't know the answer you click an answer that seems best, mark it, and move on as quickly as any other question.
Yeah, time is a major issue, which I half attribute to not knowing the content enough and the other not understanding the passages. A good mix of both.

Yeah, time is a major issue, which I half attribute to not knowing the content enough and the other not understanding the passages. A good mix of both.

Then you'd go through the outline for chem/phys/ochem and find what you're weak on, no?

@lostnconfused - this is my lowest score too and gen chem is something I ace'd easily. Still struggling to get a decent section test here. You're not alone.

I'm going to start doing the mini - Q-packs just for CP and see if that helps; then I'm continuing to write down everything that I get WRONG and working through why.

Consistently, I can eliminate the two WRONG answer choices and a monkey could do better on picking of the remaining 2... I am batting about 5% with the unknowns. :( grrrrr

There you go, you need to restudy the subjects you're weak at, not just review it. You would be wasting time and practice tests if you're content is weak. Only then you can work on timing. As to what you should use, KA is free so go for that and do 5-10 passages a day. Remember, do not rush and take the test if you're not ready.