Tips on retaking the MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xTinaBna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the mcat twice before and had a 23 both times. I did take a princeton review course, but i can't afford another course like that again. Right now, i'm studying for the mcat for this august just in case i dont get pulled off the waitlist this year. I bought that Kaplan MCAT Premier book from borders and i'm using my old mcat study materials. Do you think that this is enough to prepare? i do have a PR science work book with about 1/2 of the problems that i haven't worked on yet. i'm specifically also looking to improve physical science and verbal...any advice? thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Dear cbenedic,

For the verbal section, think about going to the New York Times website and bookmarking the RSS feed for the editorials. Do the same for the Wall Street Journal. Reading the opinion page pieces is a lot like working through the verbal passages. Use a dictionary to look up unfamiliar words.

For physical sciences, check out the official MCAT link:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/studentmanual/physicalsciences/physicalsciences.pdf

That's a syllabus of what's on the test. Try gearing away from the Princeton Review material so much and refer to a textbook to cover all the topics on the syllabus. Then, if you haven't already done so, work on the official MCAT practice exams (9R just came out). They cost $40 a piece, so if you have a fellow (wealthy) colleague who's taking the exam...

cbenedic said:
I took the mcat twice before and had a 23 both times. I did take a princeton review course, but i can't afford another course like that again. Right now, i'm studying for the mcat for this august just in case i dont get pulled off the waitlist this year. I bought that Kaplan MCAT Premier book from borders and i'm using my old mcat study materials. Do you think that this is enough to prepare? i do have a PR science work book with about 1/2 of the problems that i haven't worked on yet. i'm specifically also looking to improve physical science and verbal...any advice? thanks! :)

Can you please provide a link for the RSS feed for the editorials. I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. Thanks.

The RSS feed for the NYTimes editorial page is:
feed://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/Opinion.xml

RSS Wall Street Journal editorial:
feed://online.wsj.com/xml/rss/3_7041.xml

You may need to register for the New York Times website. If you don't have an RSS-compatible browser (e.g. Safari or newest IE), just go to the regular page at:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/opinion/index.html

If you haven't been there before, just register. It's free!

odependent said:
Can you please provide a link for the RSS feed for the editorials. I tried searching for it, but couldn't find it. Thanks.