Tips on starting EC’s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jla791

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post on sdn so please bare with me.

I’m a 17 year old dual-enrolled student at my local college, this is my 2nd/3rd year of taking classes and I’m about half way done with my pre-req’s; I will have my AA when I graduate high school when I’m 18. I am pursuing a bio major.

My question is, since I’m only 17, I feel like I’m currently a bit restricted when it comes to any type of real shadowing or voluntering experience. I assume that the summer after next is when I would have to have my app wrapped up but that only leaves me with being 18 for one year before applying (being 18, I feel gives me some of the great EC’s like clinical hands on volunteering and more advanced patient contact.)

As of now, I’m working on three things.
• I am attending meetings with my college about research and am currently going to start participating on a neat project which deals with the effects of triathalons on amputees.

• I am volunteering at the Salvation Army to rack up some non-clinical hours.

• Finally, I’m in the process of trying to volunteer at local clinics (hospital volunteering season for under 18 has closed), I don’t plan on seeing much patient interaction but I’ve heard as long as I’m within the feet distance of a patient it’s technically clinical volunteering.

Anyway, my question is, as far as EC’s go, how can I go about getting as much credit as I can with being under 18 still, and also once I turn 18, since I’ll only have about a year left to start applying, what should my main priority be in terms of EC’s once I finally turn 18.

Thank you guys, sorry for the long post but I’ve been dying to get some answers on this. My Cgpa is not perfect at this point, but my science gpa is really good and my Cgpa has an amazing trend (all A’s for 3 semesters after a mess up); so really my MCAT and EC’s are going to have to be amazing to get me anywhere. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real" volunteering experience. Unless specific organizations are not letting you volunteer or limiting your opportunities based on your age alone, I think any volunteering you do at this point will contribute to your application.

Though you're only 17, you are already in college (assuming you just finished yours sophomore year?) and anything you do - grades, volunteering, shadowing, research - will count towards your application. Plus, with one year of any regular activity, you'll be able to accrue significant amount of hours.

I think you're on the right track here; continue to do well in school, kill the MCAT when you take it, and continue to volunteer as you have been. The more patient interaction the better, in terms of the clinical volunteering goes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real" volunteering experience. Unless specific organizations are not letting you volunteer or limiting your opportunities based on your age alone, I think any volunteering you do at this point will contribute to your application.

Though you're only 17, you are already in college (assuming you just finished yours sophomore year?) and anything you do - grades, volunteering, shadowing, research - will count towards your application. Plus, with one year of any regular activity, you'll be able to accrue significant amount of hours.

I think you're on the right track here; continue to do well in school, kill the MCAT when you take it, and continue to volunteer as you have been. The more patient interaction the better, in terms of the clinical volunteering goes.

Thank you. What I guess I mean to say is I have this overwhelming feeling that if I don’t preform any activities such as drawing blood, taking stats, or any other physical activities that typically 18+ Students can do in a clinic, then I’ll be behind compared to others; also stuff like being an EMT and stand out performances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. What I guess I mean to say is I have this overwhelming feeling that if I don’t preform any activities such as drawing blood, taking stats, or any other physical activities that typically 18+ Students can do in a clinic, then I’ll be behind compared to others; also stuff like being an EMT and stand out performances.

Pre-meds drawing blood on patients is absolutely not the norm. You could volunteer with hospice and still get great experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Pre-meds drawing blood on patients is absolutely not the norm. You could volunteer with hospice and still get great experience.

Patient interaction doesn't have to be super technical/medical. Unless they were certified nurses before choosing the med school route, I think you'd be hard pressed to find applicants with such experiences. You don't need to be performing technical/medical tasks, but would be good to be around environments where such tasks are being performed by certified professionals while interacting with patients there.

Patient interaction doesn't have to be super technical/medical. Unless they were certified nurses before choosing the med school route, I think you'd be hard pressed to find applicants with such experiences. You don't need to be performing technical/medical tasks, but would be good to be around environments where such tasks are being performed by certified professionals while interacting with patients there.

Exactly. Such a big pre-med misconception that clinical experience is meaningless if you’re not doing procedures (cue international missions).

Point is interacting with patients and spending enough time around sick people to know if you can do so for a career.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly. Such a big pre-med misconception that clinical experience is meaningless if you’re not doing procedures (cue international missions).

Point is interacting with patients and spending enough time around sick people to know if you can do so for a career.

Okay, thank you both, that reassures me a lot. I have one question about volunteering, in terms of keeping records of all my hours, how strict do I have to be? Will I need to provide proof of everywhere I’ve volunteerer and shadowed? Should I just keep a broad list of hours and locations or am I expected to keep every amount of hours as well as contact information?

-Anyway, my question is, as far as EC’s go, how can I go about getting as much credit as I can with being under 18

-I’ll only have about a year left to start applying, what should my main priority be in terms of EC’s once I finally turn 18.

-my MCAT and EC’s are going to have to be amazing to get me anywhere.
If you feel you will need "amazing" ECs, don't feel compelled to apply one year before you graduate. One to two gap years has become increasingly more common among successful applicants, and one's application can only benefit from the extra time to engage in pertinent activities.

Besides those areas you've mentioned, I suggest giving consideration to gaining peer leadership and/or teaching opportunities, which also add appeal to one's med school application.

Last edited:
I have one question about volunteering, in terms of keeping records of all my hours, how strict do I have to be? Will I need to provide proof of everywhere I’ve volunteerer and shadowed? Should I just keep a broad list of hours and locations or am I expected to keep every amount of hours as well as contact information?
Keep your own strict records, as it seems lamentably common that volunteer coordinators lose track of their records. Be sure to have a Contact name (and phone or email) listed who can attest to the timeframe and hours of involvement.

Wait. What do you mean by this?

Assuming that the typical application cycle is the summer before senior year, not next summer, but the summer of 2020, would be my app cycle. Since I’m in the Nth year of college; I will receive my B.S in spring 2021, the summer of 2020 is when I would submit apps.

If you feel you will need "amazing" ECs, don't feel compelled to apply one year before you graduate. One to two gap years has become increasingly more common among successful applicants, and one's application can only benefit from the extra time to engage in pertinent activities.

Personally, I do not want to take a gap year unless it’s my last option; the only reason I want my EC’s strong is due to the sheer fact that I had a significant drawback in one of my first semesters. I received two F’s in one semester (History,algebra). I had a serious personal issues going on that forced me to take a semester break after; however, ever since that bump last year when my problem was resolved, I have had nothing but 4.0’s since, including retakes. My only concern is my cGpa being botched, but as long as I keep my upward trend and explain why I did so bad I don’t think I should give up all hope, especially if my MCAT/EC’s are above average.

whatever you do, make sure its stuff you actually like so you can talk about it

Reactions: 1 user
one's application can only benefit from the extra time to engage in pertinent activities.

I graduated last June. Will I be expected to have more experiences that a senior or a junior for that matter, even if I didn't decide on medicine until junior year?

Assuming that the typical application cycle is the summer before senior year, not next summer, but the summer of 2020, would be my app cycle. Since I’m in the Nth year of college; I will receive my B.S in spring 2021, the summer of 2020 is when I would submit apps.
So how many years of dedicated undergrad will you have? I am not understanding this timeline.

So how many years of dedicated undergrad will you have? I am not understanding this timeline.

It’s complicated due to my circumstances. Basically in terms of months, I started college August 2016 (fall semester), at first I took only one or two classes a semester since I still had a high school schedule also; starting this past fall August 2017, I started full schedule at college; no more high school. Next May (2019) I will receive my AA and highschool diploma; summer of 2019 I am taking a ton of classes since I am transferring to a university that Fall after I graduate. Starting (Fall, 2019) I will be finishing up my bachelors degree, spreading it out evenly until I graduate in May 2021 (Spring 2021). Typical apps for med schools are usually the summer before your final year, I will receive my B.S in biology may 2021, therefore, I will have to have my app done by the summer before (may-July, 2020).

This...

I volunteer in the ER at a local hospital. They barely let me do much more than clean the rooms and restock the blanket warmers. I'm 30. I seriously doubt that turning 18 will be the deciding factor on the scope of involvement whilst volunteering lol.

It’s complicated due to my circumstances. Basically in terms of months, I started college August 2016 (fall semester), at first I took only one or two classes a semester since I still had a high school schedule also; starting this past fall August 2017, I started full schedule at college; no more high school. Next May (2019) I will receive my AA and highschool diploma; summer of 2019 I am taking a ton of classes since I am transferring to a university that Fall after I graduate. Starting (Fall, 2019) I will be finishing up my bachelors degree, spreading it out evenly until I graduate in May 2021 (Spring 2021). Typical apps for med schools are usually the summer before your final year, I will receive my B.S in biology may 2021, therefore, I will have to have my app done by the summer before (may-July, 2020).

You’ll only be 19. Absolutely no reason you can’t take a gap year to do something awesome. Those super awesome ECs are hard to do in college, and since you’ll be 2 years ahead of most trads, you should take advantage of that time to do some super cool stuff that you won’t get to do once you’re in med school. Don’t rush so hard to the finish line that you forget to enjoy the race.

Reactions: 1 users