tips on travel abroad while premeding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biobossx99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to head into UCB this fall, wanting to do both Premed and Travel Abroad. I firmly believe both are worthwhile goals to try to obtain. However, it seems that it may be VERY difficult to travel abroad a year, premed and also major in a science field I love. I earnestly want to do all three if possible.

Does anyone have tips? I'm asking early so I can plan. Planning seems to be the key. It seems like a 5th year at Cal would be the only solution. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

heres an example.

freshman yr: intro bio and gen chem
soph yr: physics and organic chem
summer: study for and take the mcat

now, in your junior yr, you're done with all your premed stuff (take care of your englishes and maths also), and you are free to travel abroad for your whole junior yr if you wish. there are other ways as well, obviously.

its fairly easy to finish a BA in 4 years, but for a BS it would be more difficult. i think you might be able to do it in 4 years if you stay focused for the 3 years that you will be in residence. (maybe take a few credits the summer after your junior year)

obviously, check with your degree plan.

I managed to go abroad for a year, and it was an amazing experience. I'm not a science major, but here's how I did it:

Fresh: Gen. Chem & Calculus I & II
Summer: Physics
Sophomore: Organic and Bio
Summer: MCAT
Junior Year Abroad

For science majors it may be slightly more difficult but not because of scheduling. It's often just hard to find programs that your department will accept. I know Austrailia, University College London, Oxbridge, and some schools in Scotland do offer science programs that were at least transferable for credit at my school. I've also heard on a few occasions if you're really proficient in a language that you can go to a french/german school, but this is rare. Oh, and summers are difficult because you're basically just working non-stop, but believe me, it is worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Wardens
I managed to go abroad for a year, and it was an amazing experience. I'm not a science major, but here's how I did it:

Fresh: Gen. Chem & Calculus I & II
Summer: Physics
Sophomore: Organic and Bio
Summer: MCAT
Junior Year Abroad

That's a pretty good outline. I'm a triple major (great books, premed, and philosophy) but I managed to get out of both calc and physics via AP credits (yeah, i'm having to do some serious hoop jumping at this point to make sure no school will have a fit...). Plus, I managed to go to an abroad program where I could study science (ie, a program that spoke english) (classes: bchem, cell, and micro).

You already have the biggest advantage going for you: you know what you want to do. Then it's just a matter of a healthy mixture of begging and arm twisting, as well as good acadmic performance, to get what you want. Just don't listen if someone says it cannae be done.

definately go abroad....best time ever. and it is certainly possible with some good planning. i got all my prereq's (minus o-chem lab)done by the end of junior year, studied all summer and took the mcat and left immediately afterward for holland for a semester. since your going to uc berkeley let me put in a good word for studying at university college utrecht. sweet program, and you can do it for a semester or year. i got back in time to finish up all the classes i needed to graduate in 4 years. but, i was always planning to take a year off before med school anyways, if you want to go right away you would probably want to find out how to back things up a year.

I want to give my most sincere thanks. Your advice has further fuelled my endevour to attempt, what I view, as something impossible. But nothing good comes easily or quickly right?

Well, here's to PreMed, Year in Japan, Korea or China, and Science BS.

Thanks again