• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Tips to get ready for dental ownership after dental school

Dentalstud1

Jan 8, 2020
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi, I'm a dental student going into 2nd year and I wanted to have the opinion of dental graduate and practicing dentist on how to get ready to doing real life dentistry throughout dental school.
Did you guys attend any dental conferences regularly?
Did you do any externships?
Took hands on CE's on the side?
Listen to dental podcasts?
Read dental management books?

If I'm thinking of buying a practice later on, how did you learn to manage the clinic and to transition between dental school and dental ownership. Ultimately, I want to improve my hands skills and to learn the business side of dentistry as much as possible while being in dental school. Any tip will help!!

MolarPower

2+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2017
  1. Dental Student
Check out SharedPractices Podcast and White Coat Investors. White Coat Investors has a big list of good books about financials tailored to dental professionals listed. I read through some of them and they were good foundational materials for someone like myself who didn't know much. Also dentaltown has a bunch of free CE courses for dental students if you want learn some more.

Reactions: 3 users

Molar Whisperer

Apr 13, 2020
  1. Dentist
All the above except reading any books. I don't think any amount of management advice will totally prepare you for private practice. My best advice is to network as effectively as you can. Get to know other's experience in saturated vs unsaturated areas and buying from existing practices vs startups. Kiss up to your favorite CPA, dental labs, and dental supply sources. Consider income sources outside of Dentistry like passive income. Get very efficient with your dental skills such as balancing the speed and quality of your work. As long as you have a good network of dental sources, you will have more options to your liking and maybe find that unicorn practice.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.