Tired of hearing Duke, Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Hopkins, Stanford & Wash U Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I wanna hear from the people that have gotten into their state school or another non-top-tier school? I'm not doggin the people that are waiting to hear back from those places... but just wanna hear from ppl like me :).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Buddy...I got into LSU-New Orleans...and it was my number one choice. Only other school I applied to was LSU-Shreveport. MD=MD

Albany med! Let's hear it for the regular kids! Virilep, you are fast becoming one of my favorite SDNers :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
virilep said:
Sorry guys, I wanna hear from the people that have gotten into their state school or another non-top-tier school? I'm not doggin the people that are waiting to hear back from those places... but just wanna hear from ppl like me :).
i haven't heard from my state school yet! :(

I think the reason there really aren't that many "Yes! I got into my local state school!" threads is because many people (except for Californians) use their state school as a backup school. As a result, they're largely expecting to get into their local state school and don't really find it much of a surprise when they get their big admissions envelope in the mail. However, schools like Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn, etc are reach schools for everyone (even if you have really high stats)...so people usually enter a euphoric state (similar to prolonged orgasm I'd imagine) when they find out that they're admitted to these schools and then celebrate by creating a thread or posting in a pre-existing thread.

virilep said:

Virilep you kick ass, Im in at Albany and waiting to hear post interview from SLU, see regular people can be doctors too !!!.

eulogia228 said:
I think the reason there really aren't that many "Yes! I got into my local state school!" threads is because many people (except for Californians) use their state school as a backup school. As a result, they're largely expecting to get into their local state school and don't really find it much of a surprise when they get their big admissions envelope in the mail. However, schools like Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn, etc are reach schools for everyone (even if you have really high stats)...so people usually enter a euphoric state (similar to prolonged orgasm I'd imagine) when they find out that they're admitted to these schools and then celebrate by creating a thread or posting in a pre-existing thread.

hey thanks for the explanation. i wasn't sure why people act happy when they get into those schools, but i'm on the fast track to full comprehension!

SitraAchra said:
hey thanks for the explanation. i wasn't sure why people act happy when they get into those schools, but i'm on the fast track to full comprehension!

:laugh: exactly what I was thinking.

eulogia228 said:

If I get into UT Memphis, I will climb Kirkland clock tower and scream,

"I AM ON TOP OF THE WORLD!!!"

eulogia228 said:

Dude I will be in a euphoric state if I get in anywhere. And none of my state schools even interviewed me.

just wait til you START medical school. then, people will REALLY start talking about those places.

Newquagmire said:
just wait til you START medical school. then, people will REALLY start talking about those places.

Why is that?

AnotherDork said:
Albany med! Let's hear it for the regular kids! Virilep, you are fast becoming one of my favorite SDNers :thumbup:
Thnx dude, that makes me wanna grab a beer. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
i haven't heard from my state school yet! :(
Psycho, I don't know ur MD app profile... but I'm pretty sure you've gotten into places... lets hear from you.

trinitrotoluene said:
If I get into UT Memphis, I will climb Kirkland clock tower and scream,

"I AM ON TOP OF THE WORLD!!!"
hey, TNT..... kirkland tower... do u go to Vandy?????

virilep said:
Psycho, I don't know ur MD app profile... but I'm pretty sure you've gotten into places... lets hear from you.
i did get into a couple places. I was just commenting how i did not hear from my state school or any school within my state; otherwise i'd post on those threads. Oh wait, there is no thread for my state school...i guess it's that unpopular. :(

I only applied to the schools in my state. Texas gives you too good of a deal to pass up.

Psycho Doctor said:
i did get into a couple places. I was just commenting how i did not hear from my state school or any school within my state; otherwise i'd post on those threads. Oh wait, there is no thread for my state school...i guess it's that unpopular. :(

oh come on...you are ruining this thread

I went to Vandy. But I would make a special trip to Nashville if I got into ANY medical school. (However, UTM is very good for a state school.) BTW, I was a CS major. What is yours?

Thanks for this thread.

I am only really considering Mercer University in Macon, GA. Some people think I'm weird because it is PBL but I think I would thrive in that system. Anyway, thought I'd reply here because I don't want to go to any top teir schools. update is interviewed Feb 24rth and am still waiting to hear back. :confused:

Newquagmire said:

Why?
(a) because med school textbook chapters are written by faculty at those places
(b) because faculty at those places are doing the 'cutting edge' research/experimental surgery you hear about in journal club/on the wards
(c) because people are gunning for residencies at those places
(d) insert other reason here
(e) all of the above

Jody Sadler said:
I am only really considering Mercer University in Macon, GA. Some people think I'm weird because it is PBL but I think I would thrive in that system. Anyway, thought I'd reply here because I don't want to go to any top teir schools. update is interviewed Feb 24rth and am still waiting to hear back. :confused:

Out of curiosity, with no offense intended at all, why do you not want to go to any top teir schools? I could understand being excited about and falling in love with a school that is not in the 'top teir" and being completely content to go there but what is it about ALL the top tier schools that turns you off?

ComfortableWolf said:
Out of curiosity, with no offense intended at all, why do you not want to go to any top teir schools? I could understand being excited about and falling in love with a school that is not in the 'top teir" and being completely content to go there but what is it about ALL the top tier schools that turns you off?

None taken and I will be more than happy to oblige...The biggest reason would have to be the pressure of attending one of the top teir schools as I am not a top teir student. I'm an A/B student at a state school and worked at least 40 hours a week the whole way through while having a life and volunteer experience. I like working (of course I will not work during med school) and studying on my own terms which is why the PBL is so intriguing (sp?) to me. There are no lectures involved just study sessions during the week. There is not a test every week for a different subject, instead there are about 13 phases with a test at the end of each phase (approximately every 5 weeks). I could go on and on, however, I digress

Another reason, and this does not include all schools or all students, is the pomposity associated with the top teir schools. My only experience is with some Emory students and they came off very pompous and full of themselves (won't go into details unless you ask me too as it is a long story). No offense is intended however, it is just not the kind of school I want to be associated with.

Mercers mission is to send out doctors to underserved areas in GA and that is what I want to do. I'm not looking for anything fancy...ER or Peds. It just fits best for me. It is in a small town in my home state and that suits me just fine. The faculty and students I have met there were my kind of people.

Also there are plenty of ways to pay for school throughout the state that are to my liking. I know people in Macon and can live there fairly cheap. It's definately not as expensive as ATL where I am now.

Hope this answers your question...

virilep said:

my home state of california didn't give me jack squat. Lame. :mad: but i can't complain, the midwest and east coast has been nice so far. :)

trinitrotoluene said:
I went to Vandy. But I would make a special trip to Nashville if I got into ANY medical school. (However, UTM is very good for a state school.) BTW, I was a CS major. What is yours?

Thanks for this thread.
biomed engineering. graduated this past may.

Sparky Man said:
my home state of california didn't give me jack squat. Lame. :mad: but i can't complain, the midwest and east coast has been nice so far. :)
Sparky aren't u waiting on places like Harvard and other top places?

With all the talk about "top tier" around here, I wonder: what is the top tier? Top 10? Top 20? Top 30? What is your opinion?

Maybe I will make a poll...

criminallyinane said:
With all the talk about "top tier" around here, I wonder: what is the top tier? Top 10? Top 20? Top 30? What is your opinion?

Maybe I will make a poll...

I was just thinking the exact same thing!

My top tier is the top 100!

I, too, am on top of the world!

Why go to a "top tier" school that only makes you do mindless scrut work that doesn't teach you anything?

Homer Doughnuts said:
Virilep you kick ass, Im in at Albany and waiting to hear post interview from SLU, see regular people can be doctors too !!!.

Hey Homer, are you the one who posted your profile on the AMC website? I'm going to do that as soon as things get a little clearer...

Maybe I'll see you next year :thumbup:

AnotherDork said:
Hey Homer, are you the one who posted your profile on the AMC website? I'm going to do that as soon as things get a little clearer...

Maybe I'll see you next year :thumbup:

Yeah, that was me then I got the SLU interview so that may change things but I decided to leave my profile up there. I guess I jumped the gun a bit but oh well. Oh and i filled out the financial aid stuff today, HOLY **** thats expensive.

Jody Sadler said:

woo hoo!! macon georgia!! college nights at DEA are like no other!! (as in, you'd wish you had stayed in ATL). :D

Psycho Doctor said:
huh? how so?

Search your heart and you will see the answer

trinitrotoluene said:
Why go to a "top tier" school that only makes you do mindless scrut work that doesn't teach you anything?

what's wrong with aspiring for the top tier? no one can argue against the fact that those people are the future leaders in medicine. true that you can get to that position no matter where you go, but being in the top tier is a step in that direction. getting in to some of those schools can make your career (academic medicine). anyway, people are seemingly obsessive about it because when it gets that competitive to get in, it's all a crapshoot.

cutting edge research is not mindless "scrut work." i guess you don't want any advances in medicine to be made.

be happy wherever you go.
we'll all be fellow doctors one day.
good luck to all you in your future careers

trinitrotoluene said:

I'm in my 3rd year at Duke, and I can't say I did much of any such "mindless scut" during my clerkships last year...what's this comment all about?

Still on hold at SUNY Buffalo :D

What about us from Michigan, we have UMich as a state school :) :) So about half those people so ecstatic about getting into UMich are bragging about getting into their state school! (Doesnt include me yet :()

whitecoat09 said:
what's wrong with aspiring for the top tier? no one can argue against the fact that those people are the future leaders in medicine. true that you can get to that position no matter where you go, but being in the top tier is a step in that direction. getting in to some of those schools can make your career (academic medicine). anyway, people are seemingly obsessive about it because when it gets that competitive to get in, it's all a crapshoot.

cutting edge research is not mindless "scrut work." i guess you don't want any advances in medicine to be made.

A good clinical background is the start to a great medical career. Current US News ratings just don't take clincial skills and exposure into account. It's not part of the formula. If no one is evaluating that dimention, how can we know where the top tier schools are?

Give it a rest, your school sucks.

DrDarwin said:
Why?
(a) because med school textbook chapters are written by faculty at those places
(b) because faculty at those places are doing the 'cutting edge' research/experimental surgery you hear about in journal club/on the wards
(c) because people are gunning for residencies at those places
(d) insert other reason here
(e) all of the above

(f) everybody is sad they weren't "good enough" to get in
(g) everybody has a friend who was
(h) everybody talks about said friend like they are a god

Newquagmire said:
(f) everybody is sad they weren't "good enough" to get in
(g) everybody has a friend who was
(h) everybody talks about said friend like they are a god

I see, but you can't live in the past, nor vicariously through others.

By the way, congrats on UCSD. Great school, great location.

trinitrotoluene said:
A good clinical background is the start to a great medical career. Current US News ratings just don't take clincial skills and exposure into account. It's not part of the formula. If no one is evaluating that dimention, how can we know where the top tier schools are?

But the top schools also have the top hospitals, which means great clinicians to learn from and interesting cases. So I guess that is how they account for clinical skills and exposure.