Tired of this stupid test. Retaking & lacking motivation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grumplstiltskin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a vent thread, sorry guys. :mad: I just started restudying for this test again today. As someone who has been separated from college for sometime now (6 years), a lot of content has been long forgotten. Initially I studied (2 years ago) for the MCAT, which spanned for several months (like 8 total). It was a full time job for me. And despite scoring fairly well on practice tests, I bombed the real thing (scoring a 24). That was a huge hit to my confidence. It was also the last test of the year. I was separated from work at the time and was low on income, so rather than refocusing on a retake, I just stopped studying entirely (which in hindsight was a big mistake). Family kept telling me med school wasn't for me, etc. So I sort of gave up on that ambition for a while.

I also feel its worth mentioning I have a step-sibling who is my age and whose already in his residency, and as happy as I am for him, it does more to discourage me than motivate me. He's like the golden child of the family and I'm constantly reminded of my failures anytime he's around. Even facebook I avoid because most of my peers are well into their medical careers and here I am still working a 7-5 job (well 2 jobs). The only thing I have to show for my first attempt is gained weight (gained 35 pounds) ...meh. I went through a period of depression, but eventually just gave myself a big reality check and just learned to stop comparing myself. I still do from time to time, but it hasn't got to me as much because I stopped giving a damn (somewhat). Anyways, I temporarily left both of my jobs to focus on restudying for a second time...Only problem is, I'm having an incredibly difficult time finding motivation, especially because I know how hard I studied the first time. Plus, I know how much studying is involved and I know I have a long long & painful road ahead. How do re-takers deal with this? It's so frustrating. Plus I totally forgot everything, so it's not like it's review or anything. I mean, I remember some stuff, but I completely dumped nearly everything out of my brain after the first time I bombed.

What to do... what to do. :confused: Any words of encouragement or advice would be extremely helpful and appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, 24 is a good score! Had you applied, which I don't know if you did and had a 3.6 GPA or higher I think your chances would have been very good on getting accepted.

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!

Anybody else that is feeling this way I am writing this with you in mind as well!

I think that you should consider following the three month MCAT study plan that is posted in this forum. I am retaking the test in March and using this plan/schedule this time around to study. I have applied to the 2014 cycle but do believe that my MCAT score is the only aspect of my application that is going to turn off medical schools.

My 1st MCAT: After studying daily, however apparently incorrectly, for three months straight I took my MCAT August 2013. I didn't do well, so now I am studying to retake for my second time. I studied at least 8 hrs a day, and still didn't get a good score.

If this is something you want to do, don't give up. Medical schools will see your perseverance if it's there.

I just started studying again, so I have around 5 months. However I am planning on working a 20hr/week job. So I will be tweaking the 3-month schedule.

It IS possible! Be confident. You need to be honest with yourself and know that you are what medical schools are looking for. If you know this to not be true then FIX IT, or find something else in the medical field that interests you!

Since I graduated in May 2013 I still shadow weekly and involve myself in the medical field. I don't want to loose my connection to my passion even though I study for MCAT. Maybe you can find a way to shadow doctors or volunteer at hospitals.

I don't know your lifestyle but I know that what is helping me most concentrate, focus, and actively remember the material is waking up early and going to the library to study. GET A PLANNER, don't use the one on your phone. Write down what you are going to do tomorrow, today so you can prepare yourself.

I think the best thing for you would be to look at the 3-month MCAT study schedule. Of course the first couple of weeks might be difficult for you BUT with time you will make it work! You might get frustrated that you can't finish passages in 7 minutes for the first few weeks, but that's ok!

I feel like a lot of people are afraid to start doing questions and passages their first day of studying because they think they are going to do bad on them after they have studied the material. They are afraid to see a poor practice score. But I have learned that thinking that way is your enemy

I have learned that the MCAT is two things:
1. A test of knowledge, knowing biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and the moosh of passages from art, history, etc journals of what you call verbal reasoning
2. A BEAST in and of itself regarding the format of the exam, while also studying the subjects you need to understand the actual testing of the MCAT. You need to attack the MCAT format and testing itself.

I never really write, especially like this, on this forum. But seeing you give up is sad. I think even some of the things you explained here would be perfect for your personal statement.

This entire process of getting into medical school, especially with your circumstances, comes from personal motivation deep within. And you need to carry that personal motivation throughout the entire process, even when you don't do good on a practice passage.

Another thing that may help motivate you is reading a good medical book. Here's a great one: A Map Of The Child by Darshak Sanghavi http://www.amazon.com/Map-Child-Pediatricians-Tour-Body/dp/0805075119
If you can't shadow at least involve yourself in reading books about doctor's experiences.

Most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IN LIFE! This forum has a lot of resources to guide you and help, don't be afraid to use them!

I wrote about my MCAT experience awhile back. I got a balanced 33, which is decent but certainly not spectacular by SDN standards.

I think to do really well on this test, you have to let it fully take over your life especially in the few months leading up to it. If it's not, then don't take it.

The issue is one of motivation. I would recommend to just start studying with minimal pressure/expectation. Once you get comfortable with it, amp it up if you can. If you feel traction, then continue and start thinking about setting a test date.

The way you're going about it now is unproductive. Don't force yourself. Don't force a test date. Just start studying and see where it takes you.

First of all, 24 is a good score! Had you applied, which I don't know if you did and had a 3.6 GPA or higher I think your chances would have been very good on getting accepted.

This type of advice won't help anyone. 24 is not a good score, no matter what you goals are. It is below the average for test takers, not to mention for matriculants. It isn't a good score for DO applications either. Passable, maybe, but not good.

For MD schools, applicants with a GPA from 3.6-3.79 with an MCAT of 24-26 had a 26.7% acceptance rate over the past three years. That is not "good."

Source: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/

Members don't see this ad :)
This type of advice won't help anyone. 24 is not a good score, no matter what you goals are. It is below the average for test takers, not to mention for matriculants. It isn't a good score for DO applications either. Passable, maybe, but not good.

For MD schools, applicants with a GPA from 3.6-3.79 with an MCAT of 24-26 had a 26.7% acceptance rate over the past three years. That is not "good."

Source: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/

Thank you for the clarification! And to each their own. I personally know a good amount of D.O. acceptees that have gotten in with a 24 and lower! I am certainly not saying shoot for a score in this range. However they had GPAs above 3.5 and stellar extra circulars and involvement. I wasn't directly talking about M.D. schools.
That's not saying that many D.O. or M.D. programs take MCAT scores that are low but with an average MCAT score for the school, there are scores way above and scores way below, but those are few and far between.

Thank you for the clarification! And to each their own. I personally know a good amount of D.O. acceptees that have gotten in with a 24 and lower! I am certainly not saying shoot for a score in this range. However they had GPAs above 3.5 and stellar extra circulars and involvement. I wasn't directly talking about M.D. schools.
That's not saying that many D.O. or M.D. programs take MCAT scores that are low but with an average MCAT score for the school, there are scores way above and scores way below, but those are few and far between.

No problem, I feel you. I would still want a higher score (~27) to be confident in applying DO, but I understand it depends on the target school(s).