Titianium ring removal from finger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmpharmtech

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured this was the place to post this question. I was wondering if ERs have the ability to remove a titanium ring from a finger? I know a few people who have had to have other rings (gold, silver, etc.) cut off but I was wondering if the same type of saw they use can cut titanium. I found a cool titanium ring I wanted to get, but figured my finger was a little more important. I kinda like counting to 10. :laugh: I hope someone can clarify this for me, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If a ring gets stuck, there are other things to do besides cutting the ring off. One method is to use a lubricant like Surgi-lube to get under the ring and try to ease it off. Another way is to use a tourniquet or a thread to exsanguinate the finger, allowing the ring to come off.

I keep a roll of waxed dental floss laying around. It works great for the thread method of removing a ring. I had a little kid during residency that got a hardened metal washer stuck on his finger that a ring cutter wouldn't even scratch. The maint guy tried to use a cutter with no success. Then a little light bulb went off in my head as I remotely remeber reading about this thread method, so I gave it a whirl, and it worked beautifully. The family was ecstatic that their kid didn't have to go off to the OR to have this thing removed.....

When I got my wedding band, I looked at platinum and titanium...I ended up with the platinum because the titanium is just too light and feels kinda cheap like aluminum.....The platinum is more weighty/solid feeling. Just my opinion tho......

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm curious, how did you remove the ring with dental floss?

Zazoo said:
i'm curious, how did you remove the ring with dental floss?

From Roberts and Hedges:

String-wrap method.

An occasional patient can remain calm during this procedure, but if swelling is significant or the digit has been traumatized, anesthesia is necessary ( Fig. 37-22 Fig. 37-22 ). A proximal digital or metacarpal block provides sufficient anesthesia and helps to minimize tissue distention at the ring site. Before ring removal, a wide Penrose drain is wrapped circumferentially in a distal-to-proximal direction to reduce soft tissue swelling, and the wrap should remain in place for a few minutes to reach the maximum effect. Some non-anesthetized patients panic during the procedure because of increasing pain due to compression and unwinding.[57]

A 20- to 25-inch piece of string, umbilical tape, or thick silk suture is first passed between the ring and finger. Shorter lengths are discouraged, as one may need to repeat the wrapping procedure midway. If there is marked soft tissue swelling, the tip of a hemostat may be passed under the ring to grasp the string and pull it through. The distal string is wrapped clockwise around the swollen finger (proximal to distal) to include the proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint and the entire swollen finger. The wrapping starts next to the ring. The wrap should be snug enough to compress the swollen tissue. Successive loops of wrap are placed next to each other to keep any swollen tissue from bulging between the strands. When the wrapping is complete, the proximal end of the string is carefully unwound in the same clockwise direction, forcing the ring over that portion of the finger that has been compressed by the wrap. The PIP joint is the area that is most difficult to maneuver and causes the most pain to the patient.

Occasionally, the finger must be rewrapped if it was not carefully done initially. It is not uncommon to produce abrasions or other trauma to the skin during this procedure. If the finger with the ring is lacerated or there are underlying fractures, it is prudent to cut off the ring instead of attempting this technique.

Desperado said:
I haven't actually done titanium yet, but I suspect it would be very easy using the tool we've got.....he he he It made gold look like butter

Nope, titanium will require a diamond bit and a fair amount of power. You'd be surprised how much harder platinum is than gold, and titanium is worse yet!

- H

Thanks for all the great replys! As far as the string trick, I had to do that to myself, so I figured that was an option. I was just curious if all options were exhausted, if ERs had the capability to cut it off. Sounds like maybe I should just go with platinum or white gold. :)

We had a hard time removing a stainless steel ring from a guy's partially amputated finger. We couldn't use the string technique because of his finger injury. It took FOREVER to cut through that ring. Always make sure your ring cutter blade is sharp and that the operator has plenty of patients and time on his/her hands.

thank you USCdiver and spyderdoc! learn a new thing everyday...

Apollyon said:
Hey, what about me?

yup, thanx to you too, and all those who enlightened on this *very* important topic. :D

southerndoc said:
. . . Always make sure your ring cutter blade is sharp and that the operator has plenty of patients and time on his/her hands.

I thought that would make things more difficult! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Desperado said:
All right, I'll take up the challenge. Any of you with a titanium ring, put it in the mail, send it my way, and I'll take a hack at it.

If you put a microscopic hole in a bottle of normal saline, then apply 12,000 psi of pressure to it, the water would cut the ring like a knife. This is approximately the same amount of pressure recommended for cleaning out lacerations (although no one has achieved it yet).

GeneralVeers said:
If you put a microscopic hole in a bottle of normal saline, then apply 12,000 psi of pressure to it, the water would cut the ring like a knife. This is approximately the same amount of pressure recommended for cleaning out lacerations (although no one has achieved it yet).

wouldn't you also risk cutting the finger?

Why not just bust out a Dremel tool? After you're done with the ring you can do a little handy work around the ED. :p

Zazoo said:
wouldn't you also risk cutting the finger?

Yep,

I've got a great powerpoint on a hydraulic injury from a pinhole leak in the lines to a "jaws of life". PM me an email addy and I'll send it to you (too big to post here!)

- H