Title changed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents of SDN,

I know each and every one of you rides on the nutsack of one so called member _____. I would like to point on that this guy is taking up all of our spots at great schools. The guy applied to 20 or something schools(Don't ask me why) and is just toying around at interviews trying to take up spots. He actually has a pool going with his friends about how man acceptances he can rack up(I think the pot is up to $300 for the winner!)

Furthermore I think it is very sad that you all have immortalized him into SDN sainthood. You should all partake in some introspection and decide exactly what kind of person would kiss ass to someone on a pre-med message board. That's all I gotta say for now.. let the ________ knob-gobblers flame away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

well he can only keep 1 acceptance after may 15th, so he's not really not taking up those slots.

Im no admin, but you must be pretty darn close to banned between this and your prior anti-homosexual stint.

______ is like most people on SDN, just answering questions, and you get all ticked off for no reason. Jot can only take one slot after a certain time, then the slots get emptied for waitlisted. Im not going to hold it against someone for having good credentials, but apparently longhorn is so jealous and insecure that he has to.

No one is riding his "nutsack", but he has been a pretty nice guy and has answered a bunch of questions. So what if he is a solid applicant, that changes nothing about his personality.

He has not been "immortalized into sainthood" but he is a regular that is a pretty nice guy who knows his stuff, which is why if a jerk like you comes and starts to flame him he will get people to cover his back for him (ie. me)

I think when all is said and done, it will be you who will be out of SDN and _____ who will still be around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gleevec your so toady it makes me sick. I bet ____ would hate your guts if he actually met you in real life! BTW about gettin kicked off, I'll just reincarnate myself as another user and re-enter the SDN world.

Yeah, I figured you would come back, and get kicked out again, and so on. Doesnt take the admins long to ban someone.

I dont know what the heck you mean by toady, but all I know is that ____ answered your question in another thread and you got all pissed off for no reason. I frankly dont care what a ***** likes you thinks of me, so fire away. I dont know if ____ would "hate my guts" but he has given me no reason to think so. I would defend any other poster who I have encountered on SDN just as vigorously as I am with _____, so I dont know what you are talking about.

Why would you want to return to SDN if no one would want you here?

Yoda,

Those are tough words. You sound like a dorky white boy trying to act tough! Anyway, I understand what you are getting at and I will be more understanding. I guess I am a lil jealous of ____. Thanks for you advice...no hard feelings!

Originally posted by longhorn
Yoda,

Those are tough words. You sound like a dorky white boy trying to act tough! Anyway, I understand what you are getting at and I will be more understanding. I guess I am a lil jealous of ______. Thanks for you advice...no hard feelings!

Haha! You expect to insult me and then get a "no hard feelings" in return? Whatever, you definitely have issues. But Im not angry at you, I just pity you. Please go see a psychologist. You definitely have anger management and jealousy issues that affect your day-to-day life. I think therapy would do you good. Maybe one day you could be a productive member of society even! Here's to that day then.

what happened, mightymouse steal your account again? wait, where's bubblywater to corroborate?

I'd have to say, the way longhorn incite attention is particularly post-modern. The very lack of purpose and the meaning is its meaning and purpose, following the tradition of British Dada (in contrast to the more focused German Dada) as well as the Warholian translational repetition.

Thumbs up to you longhorn, and I'm sure _______ is really proud of you right now. (I'm not being sarcastic either)

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
what happened, mightymouse steal your account again? wait, where's bubblywater to corroborate?

Exactly. Those are all just made up accounts for longhorn.

Originally posted by sluox
I'd have to say, the way longhorn incite attention is particularly post-modern. The very lack of purpose and the meaning is its meaning and purpose, following the tradition of British Dada (in contrast to the more focused German Dada) as well as the Warholian translational repetition.

Thumbs up to you longhorn, and I'm sure ______ is really proud of you right now. (I'm not being sarcastic either)

No offense sluox, but I havent heard that kinda bull sh1t since my art history class!

The reason why I think it is crap can be seen here:
http://www.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/postmodern/

I studied philosophy and some art history, and I think you have a SERIOUS case of overanalysis :p

wow that's a lot of de/post/pre/neo!

Street Philosopher,
I believe your confusion regarding prefixes is in accordance with the post-modernist notion of deconstructivism. By breaking up words into their fundamental units of cognition, people attempt to convey ideas in a simpler context. However, when these units are littered across a literary landscape, they tend to confuse the reader. The reader is left to judge whether he exists at all, if the ideas that make up his world can be deconstructed. This post-modernist existential notion is perhaps best seen in Camus' The Stranger, a brilliant work of...

[all the above was a parody]

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by sluox
The very lack of purpose and the meaning is its meaning and purpose, following the tradition of British Dada (in contrast to the more focused German Dada) as well as the Warholian translational repetition.

((The following post is written by myself as an SDN User.))
Correction:
Pardon my french but anybody that writes like the OP (and more than one incident comes to mind pertaining to this character) is following the tradition of the a@@holian translational whatever.
-------------------------------------
((And THIS, is what I have to say as a Moderator.))

Adios Longie. I think you've had several warnings. I'm tired sending love letters to you asking you to sober up.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
Adios Longie. I think you've had several warnings. I'm tired sending love letters to you asking you to sober up.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Tweetie! Well done as usual.

Hey longhorn, don't let the door hit ya on the way out ;)

gleevec, i feel like a ******* not because i read all that crap only to realize it was generated by the script. argh!

i read the stranger when i was in junior high. it's a miracle i'm not screwed in the head by now (probably because i didn't understand wtf it was trying to say hehehe).

gleevec, i feel like a ******* not because i read all that crap only to realize it was generated by the script. argh!

i read the stranger when i was in junior high. it's a miracle i'm not screwed in the head by now (probably because i didn't understand wtf it was trying to say hehehe).

Haha, The Stranger was a pretty good book I thought. I think the whole point of existentialism is that you really arent saying anything (I think thats the point of most philosophy in the post-modern age) because sh1t happens and nothing can be done about it. I think postmodernism addresses experience more than thought, which is why its so darn confusing.

Yeah, the generator is pretty darn cool, and shows how much BS can be created in certain fields.

Good job with booting Longhorn, Tweetie. He was given to many chances as it is. If he makes good on his promise to come back, we'll be on the lookout.

PS. Banning is by IP, right?

Can we say power trip?

Originally posted by DALABROKA
Can we say power trip?

Uh, what are you talking about. Longhorn deserved to get das boot.

Can we say power trip?

In my opinion, it's only a power trip if I'm doing it out of contempt or being too stern. I don't think I'm doing either in this case because (1) I got nothing against the guy and (2) I've given him several warnings to not cause chaos on the board with his disruptive threads and his alter-ego.

This person has on several occasions used poor judgement and used profanity or ridiculed other members on SDN he doesn't approve of. Furthermore, he has had several warnings resulting in us having to close down a few disruptive threads. This time, I did not feel the need to justify my banning.....it's simply too obvious. If this person had repeatedly said wrong things about you (or any other member), my actions would have been the same.

On another note, my actions have been questioned several times in the last few days. Am I doing something wrong? Too strict? Should I give these people more warnings? Please tell me what I can do to make the situation better; I appreciate constructive criticism. Note: keyword here is CONSTRUCTIVE. :D

Originally posted by Gleevec
Uh, what are you talking about. Longhorn deserved to get das boot.

I think banning him just gives positive reinforcement. He is getting the attention that his stupid comments are intended to illicit and he will just return as longhornII or some other pseudonym. The appropriate thing to do would be to ignore his childish behavior rather than encourage it. His ultimate intentions seem to be to get under everyone's skin, including tweetie's. Obviously he succeeded at his goal.

Cheers,
DALA

how about temporary bans? like a week or two. if they start trouble after they come back, then permanent.

ha tweetie stop defending ur actions :)

dalabroka, after reading what longhorn wrote, u still had to post that? excuse me but can i say shut up ?

sorry tweetie, couldnt resist.

how about temporary bans? like a week or two. if they start trouble after they come back, then permanent.

Excellent idea! I think it might just work. :clap: thanks :clap:

Way too much trouble I think. Permanent bans are A-OK in my book if you have been warned.

Dala, you are making no sense whatsoever. He pretends at points to be an interested member of SDN, and then lashed out at the posters. There is no solution to this but banning him. So what if he comes back, he can be banned again and again. Im sure its a lot quicker for Tweetie to ban an account than for longhorn to have to find another email address (possibly create another account) and then register for SDN with that.

Tweetie, I wouldnt put too much into what Dala is saying. Her logic makes no sense whatsoever, because this is negative reinforcement. If he keeps acting like a jerk he will get banned. Dala is just full of crud and is pulling your leg, I wouldnt worry about her post. She is just trying to get under your skin with her illogical post.

Excellent idea! I think it might just work. :clap: thanks :clap:

I dont mean to sound harsh, but if someone has already been warned and continues to be a jerk, why should they get a second chance? I think warnings are necessary before banning, but arent temporary bans a little too lenient for repeat offenders?

In my opinion, it's only a power trip if I'm doing it out of contempt or being too stern. I don't think I'm doing either in this case because (1) I got nothing against the guy and (2) I've given him several warnings to not cause chaos on the board with his disruptive threads and his alter-ego.

This person has on several occasions used poor judgement and used profanity or ridiculed other members on SDN he doesn't approve of. Furthermore, he has had several warnings resulting in us having to close down a few disruptive threads. This time, I did not feel the need to justify my banning.....it's simply too obvious. If this person had repeatedly said wrong things about you (or any other member), my actions would have been the same.

On another note, my actions have been questioned several times in the last few days. Am I doing something wrong? Too strict? Should I give these people more warnings? Please tell me what I can do to make the situation better; I appreciate constructive criticism. Note: keyword here is CONSTRUCTIVE. :D

Tweetie, I think the best way of dealing with idiots is to ignore them. Give a warning or two and then just delete their threads. Banning them, especially on an open thread as above, only encourages the behavior. If a ban is the only option, e-mail the perpetrator rather than post it.:)

Respectfully,
DALA

Tweetie, I think the best way of dealing with idiots is to ignore them. Give a warning or two and then just delete their threads. Banning them, especially on an open thread as above, only encourages the behavior. If a ban is the only option, e-mail the perpetrator rather than post it.:)

Respectfully,
DALA

The best way to ignore idiots is to ban them. Give them a warning, delete their treads, and then ban them so they are automatically ignored. Dala is incorrect in assuming bans encourage behavior. Its a lot of trouble to register for SDN, and its more trouble to make a new email account to register for SDN with a new name. I think banning is fine because it annoys the crap out of these jerks when they have to reregister. I think its fine that Tweetie announces a ban in a thread, because it shows exactly what action led to the ban and it shows others that such behavior wont be tolerated.

they are warned first, and ignoring them while they hurl personal insults against an innocent member of SDN, okay that is definitely against TOS. :)

Originally posted by immediatespring
dalabroka, after reading what longhorn wrote, u still had to post that? excuse me but can i say shut up ?
[/B]

Hmmmm....what was that about making inflammatory remarks.:rolleyes:

Hmmmm....what was that about making inflammatory remarks.:rolleyes:

Stop rolling your eyes LOL. Shut up is not nearly as bad as the onslaught longhorn had on _______. DAla, you are the one that started the inflammatory remarks by calling Tweetie's ban a power trip when she obviously stated the reasons for Longhorns ban. I think the expression "pot, meet kettle" is appropriate here.

hhmmm, all interesting ideas. Thanks for the feedback.

Few things--
I used to let a few people come back, just because I personally don't like banning. It didn't work. People do come back and cause more chaos. A few people have reformed, but that took time.

Also, sometimes it's easy to forget which person you banned a few days ago, and it's hard to bring them back. I mean, this is a volunteering job, and i love doing it....yet, I don't want to schedule "un-banning" somebody at the end of two weeks. Know what I mean? There are far too many things on my mind to have to remember which prepetrator to bring back today. It really is easier to simply ban, and not let them come back.

Now about the issue of doing it in private.
That too, I've tried. I used to take the time to explain why that person should calm down, not say things in poor judgement, blah blah blah. But after some time (and with the increasing number of trolls :( ), I realized that members on SDN usually didn't see a sense of closure/control on this board. I mean, I want others to feel like they are patrolling the boards for me. I want them to PM me if they see something funny. It's hard to be on patrol all the time (although I am quite a lurker myself!). I figured, the one way to bring our preallo members together is to make them feel a sense of what's going on. Not just do things behind the scenes, but make them feel like they are a part of it. Once I started to do that, I started seeing a much more "community spirit" (it's true!) around here. I honestly feel it helps the members because afterall, it IS their board. All I am doing is having a few things on my control panel that allows me to keep it clean for them.

I by no means want to be a judge of which person should say and which should not. For that, we have TOS rules. But I do feel that having others key me into what's going on SDN (when I am not around) increases community spirit. That, and it also helps me when I'm busy to simply have a few PMs that i can look at and take charge where it's needed. So my point is, with having the members be involved, it became imperative for me to let them know that their PMs are making a difference. Person A that these people warned me about is now banned, and will not be coming back. It's much easier to do that in public, instead of answering 10 PMs, all saying the same thing. I wonder if I should go back to my old way of doing it in private... I should think about this.

And the last issue about having to ignore these trolls--I can't do that. My job is to monitor these people. I have to take "some" action, whether in private or in public. Regular members have the option to ignore trolls with the ignore feature, but it's my job to keep an eye on them and make sure they don't make any racist/demaning to other members/homophobic/discriminatory remarks.

As for deleting threads, it's a policy for the Admin to almost never delete threads. We are supposed to simply close them (which reminds me, this thread needs to be closed) and let them fade away as other layers of threads get added. On occasion, when people have said really poor things about other members, I have had to delete the thread to protect the member's integrity and sentiments. I think that's only respectful, so another flame war doesn't erupt.

Whew. :) That's all I have to say bout that (Forrest Gump).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate hearing how I can improve. This thread will be closed soon (and will be given a new title so we don't attract attention) so please put in all your replies ASAP. Goodnight.

Tweetie

Originally posted by Gleevec
Tweetie, I wouldnt put too much into what Dala is saying. Her logic makes no sense whatsoever, because this is negative reinforcement. If he keeps acting like a jerk he will get banned. Dala is just full of crud and is pulling your leg, I wouldnt worry about her post. She is just trying to get under your skin with her illogical post.

First of all, I am a he, not a she.

Secondly, not to get into a big psychology debate but, I believe in this case a positive reinforcement is occurring. Positive reinforcement refers to positive events or CONSEQUENCES that follow a behavior and strengthen it. Since I believe that longhorn was trying to get banned, this was a positive consequence. To you or I, getting banned would infect be a negative consequence, and thus a punishment. However, since the remarks made by longhorn can only be construed as an attempt to get banned, this is positive reinforcement---giving him what he wants.

Negative reinforcement is the removal of a negative event or consequence that serves to increase the frequency of a particular behavior. A classic example of negative reinforcement is the increase in seat belt use to remove the annoying buzzer that sounds until the seat belt is latched. The buzzer is an unwanted and negative event that increases the behavior of seat belt use. As you can see, longhorn was not trying to get banned to remove a negative consequence, and thus negative reinforcement does not apply.

On a final note, be mindful of what someone says before you call them illogical. You may not agree with my assertions, but that is no reason to cast aspersions at one's intellect.

Respectfully,
DALA

Yet again you make assumptions before you have your facts straight. I said you argument is illogical, I didnt say you were dumb. Huge difference.

I dont know what makes you think Longhorn was trying to get banned. No one wants punishment, people just want to get as much attention as possible. By banning them, they lose that attentions. You assume that his remarks were made with the intent to get banned. He is more likely just venting his opinions and trying to attract as much attention as possible. True, he got attention when he got banned, but the key is he will get no more attention.

First of all, I am a he, not a she.

Secondly, not to get into a big psychology debate but, I believe in this case a positive reinforcement is occurring. Positive reinforcement refers to positive events or CONSEQUENCES that follow a behavior and strengthen it. Since I believe that longhorn was trying to get banned, this was a positive consequence. To you or I, getting banned would infect be a negative consequence, and thus a punishment. However, since the remarks made by longhorn can only be construed as an attempt to get banned, this is positive reinforcement---giving him what he wants.

Negative reinforcement is the removal of a negative event or consequence that serves to increase the frequency of a particular behavior. A classic example of negative reinforcement is the increase in seat belt use to remove the annoying buzzer that sounds until the seat belt is latched. The buzzer is an unwanted and negative event that increases the behavior of seat belt use. As you can see, longhorn was not trying to get banned to remove a negative consequence, and thus negative reinforcement does not apply.

On a final note, be mindful of what someone says before you call them illogical. You may not agree with my assertions, but that is no reason to cast aspersions at one's intellect.

Respectfully,
DALA

Status
Not open for further replies.