Titrating strong acid and strong base

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloboys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought when creating a buffer, you need a weak acid with its conj base and vise versa. So how is this a BC question, "When titrating the monoprotic acid HCl with NaOH of a known concentration, which of the following must be equal at the equivalence point?"

I thought you can't do a strong acid and a strong base?!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought when creating a buffer, you need a weak acid with its conj base and vise versa. So how is this a BC question, "When titrating the monoprotic acid HCl with NaOH of a known concentration, which of the following must be equal at the equivalence point?"

I thought you can't do a strong acid and a strong base?!
A titration is very different from a buffer. In a titration, you are usually trying to determine the equivalence point. The point of buffers is to buffer against acid or base addition. So, to answer the BC question, at the equivalence point the moles of acid = the moles of base. Let me know if you have more questions. I love this stuff! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Also, you are correct. You wouldn't be able to make a buffer with a strong acid and strong base mixture. However, you can have a buffer of say a weak acid and a strong base. You would just need 2 parts of the weak acid to 1 part strong base.

Reactions: 1 user