Titration Curves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

I was reading something on the titration curves of acids and bases. But I came across a concept that said that multiprotic acids will show peaks in the tiration curve each corresponding to the acidic protons in the acid.

Can someone explain why this happens? I know that it has something to do with where the protonated and deprotonated forms of the acid are in equilibrium...but I dont understand how it fits in.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think they are just describing that multiprotic acids have more than one pka level point in a titration curve, one for each one normal.

Basically, if there are several hydrogens to be pulled off, each one will require a certain amount of pull, namely pKa, or amount of base added when titrating. The first H comes off rather quickly/easily, with little base added. The second H requires more base, and the third H requires still more base. So, for a multiprotic acid, the titration curve looks like three curves in one (or 2 in one for diprotic).

I hope this and the post prior to mine helped.