bogatyr

15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2004
Status
I was doing an Army rotation in July when the new interns came. I recall that some of the interns were staying in hotels while they were looking for apartments or houses, and thus got TLA (temporary living allowance?). Does anyone know how this works? I'm going to try to find a house before I get to my internship, but if I'm waiting for the deal to close or something, does everyone get to stay in hotels? For how long? Thanks.

denali

15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
bogatyr said:
I was doing an Army rotation in July when the new interns came. I recall that some of the interns were staying in hotels while they were looking for apartments or houses, and thus got TLA (temporary living allowance?). Does anyone know how this works? I'm going to try to find a house before I get to my internship, but if I'm waiting for the deal to close or something, does everyone get to stay in hotels? For how long? Thanks.
In general, TLA is for when you PCS OCONUS, and TLE is when you PCS within CONUS. They are complicated buggers, and are dependent on the post one is going to. TLE is covered in Ch. 5, Part H, Para U5700 of the JFTR; TLA is covered in Ch. 9, Part C, Para U9200. Also, check with the housing office at your gaining duty station.

Good luck,

polkadot

let's get physical!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Status
I believe you're entitled to reimbursement for 14 days on either end of a PCS, as long as the costs fall at or below the gov't rate for that area.

-p.dot