Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

TLC Documentary "Born Without a Face" - Anybody see this?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GeniusofLove, Apr 11, 2007.

1. GeniusofLove

Medical Student
    Who else saw the television documentary on TLC called "Born Without a Face?"

If you haven't seen it, check out the TLC listings as it may rerun. Its literally about a girl born without the bones or features of a face.

I was astonished by this program and horrified too. I cannot imagine raising a child with that serious of a deformity (Treacher Collins syndrome and numerous other facial deformities) and putting the child through years and years of complex surgeries and a lifetime of looking like an alien. I don't know whether the parents should be commended or scorned? Maybe both? What else can you do, though?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II

Medical Student
    Was that the girl from Haiti?

4. y8507

I saw this a couple of months ago. It was pretty shocking to see the extent of her deformities and the insane surgeries that she had to undergo.

5. Crazy4F1

Resident [Any Field]
    ...i think it's done a run on discovery health too. i cant help but be amazed with the kinds of things they can fix/improve these days.

6. karmega5

karmega5 MS2

Medical Student
    She's actually from around where I'm from (in Florida, not Haiti...not even the Haiti-ish part of Florida ;) ) and her family is very sweet. The church they are a part of holds fundraisers for her operations, and she does go out in public, though it's in a small town, where people are pretty accepting. Seems like a happy, bright kid (just seeing in passing), and the parents - I can't even imagine having to make choices like that or having to put a kid through so many surgeries.

7. BlackSails

Pre-Medical
    I saw it. I think it is amazing that something like that is correctable, albeit with many many surgeries.

8. potato51

Attending Physician
    A girl with that syndrome graduated from UT Houston med a few years ago and is doing a residency at Baylor.

9. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member

Attending Physician
    I think it's unbelievable how much the Navy has spent on her surgeries; equally as impressive is the progress that she has made because of them.

http://www.julianawetmore.net/

10. in.a.nutshell

Pre-Medical
    Ummm, are you serious??? What do you suggest the parents do?

11. Mistress S

Mistress S Don't mess with the S

Resident [Any Field]