TMDSAS Application!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by freakazoid, Jun 18, 2002.

1. freakazoid

freakazoid Guy Friend Extraordinaire

Just wanted to start something for everybody who is applying for the Texas schools (besides Baylor, who is on AMCAS). Kind of feel alone when everybody and their dog is working on AMCAS and I'm working on the TMDSAS, which is very much the same but has its differences . . .

For starters, does anyone know how much answering the optional statement will help in the grand scheme of things? Additionally, is anyone willing to look over the personal statement for this one, which has a prompt:

a. In your own words, explain your motivation to seek a career in MEDICINE. Discuss your philosophy of the medical profession and indicate your goals relevant to the profession. (Limited to 62 lines and 80 characters per line)

I know it's very much the same to what I'll be writing for the AMCAS, but it would be nice to have someone looking over my shoulder to tell me whether or not I've strayed away from the prompt, as opposed to the PS for AMCAS, where there is no prompt to stray from, though you need to stick to your theme, whatever that may be.

That is all.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nartiad

nartiad Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by freakazoid:
    <strong>Just wanted to start something for everybody who is applying for the Texas schools (besides Baylor, who is on AMCAS). Kind of feel alone when everybody and their dog is working on AMCAS and I'm working on the TMDSAS, which is very much the same but has its differences . . .

For starters, does anyone know how much answering the optional statement will help in the grand scheme of things? Additionally, is anyone willing to look over the personal statement for this one, which has a prompt:

a. In your own words, explain your motivation to seek a career in MEDICINE. Discuss your philosophy of the medical profession and indicate your goals relevant to the profession. (Limited to 62 lines and 80 characters per line)

I know it's very much the same to what I'll be writing for the AMCAS, but it would be nice to have someone looking over my shoulder to tell me whether or not I've strayed away from the prompt, as opposed to the PS for AMCAS, where there is no prompt to stray from, though you need to stick to your theme, whatever that may be.

That is all.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hi,
    i applied last year and used my AMCAS personal statement for my TMDSAS essay. for the optional essay, i wrote 2 sentences about my motivation for studying in TX (i'm from out of state)...i think the optional essay is really just that--optional. if nothing comes to mind that you want to qualify or add to your application, then leave the space blank.
    good luck!

4. castaway

castaway Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi I applied to both TX and AMCAS schools and will start at a Texas Tech this fall.

I used the optional essay space to write about an important personal experience that was not addressed in the main essay. I believe writing about this experience helped to set me apart from the rest.

I pretty much used the same PS for AMCAS and Texas. However, I modified my AMCAS essay by excluding the part about future plans that Tx asks you to address. Since this gave me some extra space, I talked about the experience addressed in the optional section of the Tx app. Again, doing this helped because my interviewers showed lots of interest (enabling me to get into an AMCAS school also).

5. theshinning

theshinning Junior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by castaway:
    <strong>Hi I applied to both TX and AMCAS schools and will start at a Texas Tech this fall.

I used the optional essay space to write about an important personal experience that was not addressed in the main essay. I believe writing about this experience helped to set me apart from the rest.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was told by my premed advisor that the optional essay space should be left to explain poor grades, low scores, etc. I am compelled to leave it blank, 'cause i don't want to make it seem like an extension of my personal statement. What has everyone else heard?

6. DrBlueDevil

I didn't write anything in that space last year and I got interviews at all the allopathic schools in TX with blah scores.

7. freakazoid

Thanks for the help. :)

8. freakazoid

For any kind of experience under personal biography, can I put the end date as when I expect it to end rather than the date it ended (since I came home from school for the summer, but expect to pick up back up once I get back)?

9. freakazoid

bump--*could someone answer the question direction above this?* thanks a bunch!

10. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by freakazoid:
    <strong>For any kind of experience under personal biography, can I put the end date as when I expect it to end rather than the date it ended (since I came home from school for the summer, but expect to pick up back up once I get back)?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes you can. Or you can do what I did, and put XX/YY/19ZZ - PRESENT, which seems to work well.

11. castaway

castaway Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did the same as praying4MD: xx/yy/zz-present

That's a good qoute from Chomsky--read some of his stuff in undergrad philosophy.

12. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by castaway:
    <strong>That's a good qoute from Chomsky--read some of his stuff in undergrad philosophy.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks. :) I am a big fan of his. Almost any sentence out of his works is an awesome quote, but I thought this one applied most to what's going on these days in the world. :D

13. freakazoid

thanks again. :) I was also wondering, if any of you applied to san antonio -- they give you a pdf file to fill out. Did you just type w/ a typewriter betweeen the questions or write it out by hand? it's the only paper application i have . . .

14. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was vacationing when I filled it out and luckily, the house I was staying at had Acrobate WRITER (which can run quite expensive), but it allowed me to type right on the form. However, people who didn't have that can also print, then cut and paste, which is what I did with some of the secondaries I sent in later.

Good luck. :)

15. jaeida8

jaeida8 Senior Member

<strong>thanks again. :) I was also wondering, if any of you applied to san antonio -- they give you a pdf file to fill out. Did you just type w/ a typewriter betweeen the questions or write it out by hand? it's the only paper application i have . . .</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I turned it in handwritten, and I got an interview at San Antonio. I also ran across a program a few days ago named Form Pilot that you can download immediately after purchasing. It's 29.99 if I remember correctly. You can scan the PDF file printout and place text boxes on the scan and when you're done, you place the form in your printer. It was pretty accurate when I tried it.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. castaway

castaway Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I found a beat-up typewriter charging $.25 for 15 minutes in the basement of my university library and got to work! Had to have whiteout handy. I'd say cut and paste is way better.