May 30, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys! I have a question about ranking. I'm ranking the Texas schools that I interviewed at based on "reputation/credibility" because locations are pretty much in the same range and curriculum is also similar. So it's coming down to trying to figure out which schools are "better" overall. I'm having trouble deciding if I should rank Texas A&M higher or lower than UT San Antonio. Any suggestions?

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
I can't comment on Texas schools as I've never been to Texas nor do I know much about them, but I wouldn't rank them in your mind by prestige. They'll share probability of you matching where you want to, and that's really all that matters. I would, instead, rank the schools by how much you like them personally when you go interview. Just my 2 cents. :)

bunionberry

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2012
Status
Medical Student
^ That. Don't worry about prestige. No one in the future will respect you anymore if you went to one of those schools over the other. If you were comparing A&M with Harvard or something, then maybe you'd be able to factor prestige into the decision making process. But since you're not, and since both of those schools are going to be good schools, just go with whichever one is more convenient and appealing to you. I didn't interview at either one, but I'm sure you have some opinion on semi-rural living in Temple or CS vs. city living in San Antonio.

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Hi guys! I have a question about ranking. I'm ranking the Texas schools that I interviewed at based on "reputation/credibility" because locations are pretty much in the same range and curriculum is also similar. So it's coming down to trying to figure out which schools are "better" overall. I'm having trouble deciding if I should rank Texas A&M higher or lower than UT San Antonio. Any suggestions?
Locations are NOT the same, and neither are the curriculums or school cultures. If all you got from your interview visits was 'blah, blah, blah' then it's time to hit the road and take another look.

Reactions: xiwang

Command

SysOp
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Is the ranking list only for feb3?

If you get into your 2nd choice school on match day, then way down in april/may you get off the waitlist for your 1st choice, will you still be automatically withdrawn from your 2nd choice still?

lovemango

Wreck 'Em
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
A&M and UTHSCSA are in very different locations. I prematched to both last year and ranked UTHSCSA higher cause I liked the curriculum and the rotation sites better.

I would not rank on "reputation/credibility" but which school you feel is a better fit for you. Med school is hard enough, don't pick a school because it's more "prestigious" and then end up being miserable.

Reactions: DokterMom

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
I believe UTHSCSA is ranked about a dozen places higher than TAMHSC in USNWR. But we're talking about the difference between 80 and 68 or something along those lines, probably not drastic enough to be meaningful in your decision-making. Another key factor people consider is price, but again these two schools (like most schools in TX) are very close.

What I would do is take a close look at the curricula (i.e. how many mandatory classes each week during MS1? How are tests/test blocks set up?) and think carefully about what city/environment you'd like to live in. BCS and Temple are definitely going to be very different from San Antonio, there are positives and negatives to both locations and you should think about where you might be happier. Definitely take advantage of 2nd look opportunities.

If you get into your 2nd choice school on match day, then way down in april/may you get off the waitlist for your 1st choice, will you still be automatically withdrawn from your 2nd choice still?
The rank list is only for match day. After that, if you are pulled off a waitlist by a school you'd prefer to go to over the one you matched to, you will not be auto-withdrawn. However, you will likely have a limited window of time to pick between your offers (i.e. a two week deadline for you to decide). After June 1st, no Texas medical school can offer an acceptance to any applicant who already has one from another TX medical school.

Follow this link for more info: http://utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html#MultipleAcceptances

Reactions: xiwang

lovemango

Wreck 'Em
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student

If you get off the waitlist for your 1st choice (or any other higher ranking choices) after match day, you are not automatically withdrawn from the school that you did match to. You have a certain time period (varies by school) to decide whether or not to accept the new offer.

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
The only trouble with the 'second look' idea is that second looks are in the spring, long after Match Day...

Sassafrass23

The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2012
Tejas
Status
Medical Student
After June 1st, no Texas medical school can offer an acceptance to any applicant who already has one from another TX medical school.

Follow this link for more info: http://utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html#MultipleAcceptances
Oh, huh, I didn't know that. Is this a new rule? I swear someone told me they had been accepted to UTMB a couple of years ago, moved to Galveston, and then was taken off the waitlist at UTSW a week before classes started. Because of this, I have had concerns about starting the MD/MBA in Lubbock in June and then perhaps being pulled off of a waitlist at one of the other schools I interviewed at...

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Oh, huh, I didn't know that. Is this a new rule? I swear someone told me they had been accepted to UTMB a couple of years ago, moved to Galveston, and then was taken off the waitlist at UTSW a week before classes started. Because of this, I have had concerns about starting the MD/MBA in Lubbock in June and then perhaps being pulled off of a waitlist at one of the other schools I interviewed at...
I heard about something like that happen, but it was from a much older doc back in the 80s. I'm not sure how new the rule is, but it's definitely on the TMDSAS acceptance information page.

lovemango

Wreck 'Em
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Not sure how new it is, but it was definitely in place last year as well. The only people I knew who were accepted off the waitlist a week before classes started had no acceptances anywhere.

Sassafrass23

The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2012
Tejas
Status
Medical Student
I heard about something like that happen, but it was from a much older doc back in the 80s. I'm not sure how new the rule is, but it's definitely on the TMDSAS acceptance information page.
Not sure how new it is, but it was definitely in place last year as well. The only people I knew who were accepted off the waitlist a week before classes started had no acceptances anywhere.
Good to know! I will cease my worrying :)

Reactions: BlueLabel
OP
F
May 30, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I believe UTHSCSA is ranked about a dozen places higher than TAMHSC in USNWR. But we're talking about the difference between 80 and 68 or something along those lines, probably not drastic enough to be meaningful in your decision-making. Another key factor people consider is price, but again these two schools (like most schools in TX) are very close.

What I would do is take a close look at the curricula (i.e. how many mandatory classes each week during MS1? How are tests/test blocks set up?) and think carefully about what city/environment you'd like to live in. BCS and Temple are definitely going to be very different from San Antonio, there are positives and negatives to both locations and you should think about where you might be happier. Definitely take advantage of 2nd look opportunities.

The rank list is only for match day. After that, if you are pulled off a waitlist by a school you'd prefer to go to over the one you matched to, you will not be auto-withdrawn. However, you will likely have a limited window of time to pick between your offers (i.e. a two week deadline for you to decide). After June 1st, no Texas medical school can offer an acceptance to any applicant who already has one from another TX medical school.

Thanks for the help everyone; the thing is that at both interviews, I was given a lot of great information about the pre-clinical years, and both curriculum seem to be manageable and helpful and that's something that I know I'll be happy with in regards to both schools. The problem is coming down to the clinical years, 3 and 4. At my A&M interview in Temple, we were told that clinical sites can vary from: Dallas, Fort Worth, Round Rock, Temple, College Station, and other hospitals within the vicinity. At the UT San Antonio interview, however, we were told that clinical sites are either in San Antonio itself, or the South Texas Clinical Campus which is in Harlingen, and that clinicals are also conducted in Brownsville, McAllen, and other surrounding areas. That's such a huge difference in clinical experience in my opinion, and I kind of don't know which is better… having more rotation options in the "city" or closer to the border?

If someone from either A&M or UTSA could comment on whether they found their clinical years to be adequate, it would help. Personally, I'm from Houston and I've lived in Houston all of my life. I think that clinical years in city areas may "match" with me better than clinical years in South Texas. But maybe the experience will be similar either way and I just don't know it yet?

I've already been pre-matched to UTSA. I have not been pre matched to A&M, and I don't know which of the two to rank as number 2 on my list. (Number 1 is UT Houston). So if I *don't* get matched to UT Houston, and I rank UTSA as #2, I will be going to UTSA. I don't know if I'm like comfortable with such a drastic change in the clinical years from the city to the not-so-city areas in South Texas (which I actually have visited previously).

Doesn't the 'quality' or 'ranking' or 'prestige' or whatever of a medical school factor in when it comes to residency matches? Like what I mean is: a more 'diverse' clinical experience in a wide variety of cities like A&M offers may be 'better' than clinical experiences in only South Texas?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Again, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

rainbow girl

5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
From what
Thanks for the help everyone; the thing is that at both interviews, I was given a lot of great information about the pre-clinical years, and both curriculum seem to be manageable and helpful and that's something that I know I'll be happy with in regards to both schools. The problem is coming down to the clinical years, 3 and 4. At my A&M interview in Temple, we were told that clinical sites can vary from: Dallas, Fort Worth, Round Rock, Temple, College Station, and other hospitals within the vicinity. At the UT San Antonio interview, however, we were told that clinical sites are either in San Antonio itself, or the South Texas Clinical Campus which is in Harlingen, and that clinicals are also conducted in Brownsville, McAllen, and other surrounding areas. That's such a huge difference in clinical experience in my opinion, and I kind of don't know which is better… having more rotation options in the "city" or closer to the border?

If someone from either A&M or UTSA could comment on whether they found their clinical years to be adequate, it would help. Personally, I'm from Houston and I've lived in Houston all of my life. I think that clinical years in city areas may "match" with me better than clinical years in South Texas. But maybe the experience will be similar either way and I just don't know it yet?

I've already been pre-matched to UTSA. I have not been pre matched to A&M, and I don't know which of the two to rank as number 2 on my list. (Number 1 is UT Houston). So if I *don't* get matched to UT Houston, and I rank UTSA as #2, I will be going to UTSA. I don't know if I'm like comfortable with such a drastic change in the clinical years from the city to the not-so-city areas in South Texas (which I actually have visited previously).

Doesn't the 'quality' or 'ranking' or 'prestige' or whatever of a medical school factor in when it comes to residency matches? Like what I mean is: a more 'diverse' clinical experience in a wide variety of cities like A&M offers may be 'better' than clinical experiences in only South Texas?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Again, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!
from what I remember, south texas clinical is optional. You can still stay at SA if you want to, but I talked to a (maybe) 4th year student who did her surgery clinical in south texas, she really recommended it since there was more hands-on experience. They had few residents down there so you would get to work like a resident. Just from what I've been told

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Will those that interview in January have a lesser chance of matching?
I would guess so, but I don't know.

As a reminder, there is both an official "TMDSAS questions" thread and a "republic of Texas" thread for TX school questions, please use those