TMDSAS Optional Essay Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthouser195

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having difficulties finding a topic to write about for the prompt:

Briefly state any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application. This is not an area to continue your essay or reiterate what you have previously stated - this area is provided to address any issues which have not previously been addressed.

My only thought is to write about living with my best friend through college who has an on/off eating disorder and talk about assessing the situation and doing what I could do, but knowing when to ask for help professionally. I don't really know if this would make for a good essay. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Have not personally applied, and someone more knowledged about this may contradict my interpretation (please do so if my interpretation is wrong), but I think it's more of a place to explain poor performance in school due to things like health or mental issues, as well as circumstances which may put your application in a different light (had to take care of elderly parents full-time while studying for MCAT, so score was lower or couldn't do as much clinical volunteering as a result).

I'm not sure if this is something you're obligated to fill out if there are no glaring concerns with your application that would cause it to be screened out otherwise.

I did think that originally that I should not write the essay; however, after reading SDN and some of the texas schools not having secondaries, I was advised to take up all the space I was given to explain who I was as a person. So I have still unsure as to what to write about

Members don't see this ad :)
I did think that originally that I should not write the essay; however, after reading SDN and some of the texas schools not having secondaries, I was advised to take up all the space I was given to explain who I was as a person. So I have still unsure as to what to write about
Never leave an optional essay blank!!!

Have not personally applied, and someone more knowledged about this may contradict my interpretation (please do so if my interpretation is wrong), but I think it's more of a place to explain poor performance in school due to things like health or mental issues, as well as circumstances which may put your application in a different light (had to take care of elderly parents full-time while studying for MCAT, so score was lower or couldn't do as much clinical volunteering as a result).

I'm not sure if this is something you're obligated to fill out if there are no glaring concerns with your application that would cause it to be screened out otherwise.
Not everyone had an experience doing poor academically. How do you think people with 4.0s would respond?

To answer the question OP...

Your choice of topic is totally fine as it definitely counts as a unique circumstance or experience. Just make sure you're able to convey what you have learned and/or how this experience has impacted you within the context of your application.

Good luck!