TMDSAS Rank: Baylor vs. TAMU EnMed vs. UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptNemo

Reaction score
Right now, my list is sitting as:
1. Baylor (prematched)
2. TAMU EnMed (prematched)
3. UTSW
4. Long (prematched)
5. Texas Tech Lubbock

Baylor
+ Texas Medical Center, including Texas Childrens
+ Prestige, for what it's worth in a post-PF Step 1 world
+ Changing up their curriculum to be less preclinical, more clinical
- Random chance of going to brand new Temple, with much greater focus on primary care
- Very conventional med school curriculum, although I can pursue medical engineering related research on my own time

UTSW
+ Growing campus with lots of shiny new stuff, better match list every year
+ Strong residency programs in fields I'm interested in (e.g. surgery)
+ Also shifting towards more clinic heavy curriculum, according to interview
+ Close to home
+ More engineering related research opportunities than Baylor according to their website
- Not prematched, and matching is very low chance from what I've heard
- Dallas is VERY boring imo
- UTSW is basically the sole source for research in the area, no density like the TMC in Houston

Texas A&M EnMed
+ Texas Medical Center
+ Engineering focused curriculum, with MD + MSBME in 4 years
+ Prematched already, so no more headache - but can't I lose it if I rank them too low in match?
+ Affiliated with all core rotations at Houston Methodist, which is basically #1 adult hospital in Texas
+ Smallest class out of the three, much more individualized attention possible for classes and potentially getting institutional help for away residencies in TMC and abroad
- More testing
- Engineering projects seem fun, but time-consuming
- First class will match to residency AFTER TMDSAS match day, so no idea yet about residency chances with EnMed

Honestly, if it wasn't for the post-A lottery and the fact that you can't switch out of Baylor after Match Day if you don't get the campus you want, I would be putting Baylor as #1 in the blink of an eye. But now I don't know whether to take the lottery or to just take my EnMed A and go. But the fact that I won't know about residency matches at EnMed until after I match also kind of worries me. Hoping to ask this when they have their Second Look day.

How should I rank these schools? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
sorry for my ignorance here, wouldn’t the normal A&M match list be indicative of the EnMed match list?

I don't think you will lose your Pre-Match if you rank A&M 3, but just double check with TMDSAS. I think you would only "lose" your prematch if you matched at a school ranked above it, which in this case you seem to like UTSW and Baylor. So given the slim odds of matching UTSW without a prematch that you referenced I think I would go:

1. Baylor
2. UTSW
3. A&M
4. Long
5. TTUHSC

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You still have plenty of time to get prematches at the other schools before February 17th.

Assuming you are on waitlist after that date, you decide your schools in the order of your preference whether you were admitted or not.

1. Baylor
2. Utsw
3. enmed (admitted)
4. Long (admitted)
5. TTUHSC (admitted?)

Let us say during match you are admitted to UTSW, you lose the next 3 admissions and you stay on waitlist for Baylor.

Let us say you get admitted to Baylor in April and you no longer want to go, you decline and keep UTSW. If you want to go you say I accept and then send a decline to UTSW.

Reactions: 1 user
You won't lose the prematch at EnMed if you rank them "too low" - rank your list exactly how you feel. As for the Baylor v UTSW thing, it is scary to think that you may end up in Temple if it's something that you really aren't interested in (I think Baylor really fumbled the bag here and am hoping they will change the process for next application cycle,) so If you REALLY don't want any chance of being in Temple I would probably do UTSW > EnMed > Baylor > Long > TTUHSC

You won't lose the prematch at EnMed if you rank them "too low" - rank your list exactly how you feel. As for the Baylor v UTSW thing, it is scary to think that you may end up in Temple if it's something that you really aren't interested in (I think Baylor really fumbled the bag here and am hoping they will change the process for next application cycle,) so If you REALLY don't want any chance of being in Temple I would probably do UTSW > EnMed > Baylor > Long > TTUHSC
This does not work since one can't waitlist a school below one that some is admitted to unless they just want to go to EnMed over Baylor whether admitted or not.

sorry for my ignorance here, wouldn’t the normal A&M match list be indicative of the EnMed match list?
I think it would be pretty different because normal A&M doesn't have the benefits of the Texas Medical Center, doesn't rotate at Houston Methodist, and doesn't have the engineering-infused curriculum that EnMed has, and according to the people at my interview day EnMed has a 100% Step 1 pass rate which is a lot higher than A&M's. So I have a feeling EnMed might have a better match list, but not sure of how much.

For everyone else, thank you for the input! Hopefully I can get prematches from UTSW/Baylor to make a better decision through their Second Look days 🤞

This does not work since one can't waitlist a school below one that some is admitted to unless they just want to go to EnMed over Baylor whether admitted or not.
Yeah, I'm well aware of how the match works. I am saying that if they absolutely do not want to chance going to Temple, EnMed should be second on their list, and if they don't match UTSW, then they at least know they will be in Houston. Some people appreciate the full list to see that yes, Baylor is still over Tech or Long no matter how you look at it, but if OP really doesn't want to chance Temple, I believe that this should be their match list and that Baylor should be out of the question. Different strokes for different folks.

Wanted to update that I have now prematched into Baylor and talking with a current student, they said that there's a very small chance of me not getting into the campus I'd like to attend (Houston) since they are looking into people who are specifically interested in Temple in addition to the regular Houston applicant. Does this change any recommendations about order now that I am confirmed accepted into Baylor and don't have to wait for the match?

Baylor has always been the first choice between Baylor and UTSW for most likely 80:20 split in favor of Baylor when someone is admitted to both schools.

I wouldn't accept current student's word make that choice though. Needs to be from a Dean or someone before you check that box.

Reactions: 3 users
Also want to add that it’s hard to judge who’s specifically interested in Temple. There were many people who were interviewed by Temple faculty and felt awkward about expressing interest specifically in Houston, aka could’ve been misinterpreted as showing interest for Temple.

Reactions: 2 users
Just want to echo what's already been said. Baylor did not have a specific preference for applicants to check beforehand so I have zero clue how the heck they know who is interested in Temple. I submitted my application without even knowing that Temple was a thing this year and was interviewed by two faculty from Temple. I really do think this is going to be a lottery for where you end up.

Just want to echo what's already been said. Baylor did not have a specific preference for applicants to check beforehand so I have zero clue how the heck they know who is interested in Temple. I submitted my application without even knowing that Temple was a thing this year and was interviewed by two faculty from Temple. I really do think this is going to be a lottery for where you end up.
How do you think the lottery will work? Do you think prematched students will have priority?

How do you think the lottery will work? Do you think prematched students will have priority?
Idk some people have said that but I've heard no confirmation from BCM. My guess is literally 1/5 students will get Temple with a few students who actually want Temple getting Temple.

Yeah it doesn’t add up. They could infer based on your application characteristics but unless someone put that they were super interested in temple on their secondary I don’t see how this would work.

At the end of the day, it boils down to how risk averse you are and what you think about Temple. If you are 100% for Houston and would be devastated with going to Temple, maybe ranking Baylor 1 isn’t the best idea. Personally, I feel like I’d be happy at either campus (though I have my preferences) so I can confidently rank Baylor #1.

Reactions: 1 users