TMDSAS Rank: UTSW vs. McGovern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CapableEstate

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

With TMDSAS Match coming up, I need help deciding between UTSW and UT McGovern. Right now I am leaning towards McGovern, but I need help deciding.

Both have a great curriculum and clinical/research opportunities, and similar class size - Feel free to discuss this opinion!

That being said, I am considering ENT possibly, and I would like to be able to go to a school that would help me match into competitive specialties (If I choose to do so), especially with Step1 being P/F.

UTSW
Pros
- ***Prestige - The main factor UTSW has for me - helps for match
- P/F preclinicals

Cons
- It's in Dallas

McGovern
Pros
- Family support system
- TMC uniqueness - connections to faculty in other institutions

Cons
- "less" prestige?
- Not P/F preclinicals

I am not sure if not having P/F is such a big deal tbh, but of course having P/F is a plus.
In conclusion, I enjoyed the students/faculty/campus at both schools, but it's mainly school reputation that would make me go with UTSW. I don't want to have to SOAP on match day if I choose something competitive, and UTSW could give me a little bit more edge on match day.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
On the contrary, I think P/F is a huge deal. It's 2022, and I don't think there's any reason any medical school should still have a stressful graded preclinical lol. Top schools are already hinting towards P/F clinicals , so I think we'll be seeing a shift soon from the bulk of medical schools into at least P/F preclinical.

That being said, definitely do think about proximity to support system. Is being 3.5 drive away from family too far? This will be subjective. In all medical schools, if you manage time effectively, you will always have some free time which you can use to do things you enjoy, such as hobbies or visiting family. I don't think going to USTW means you won't be able to surf once in a blue moon!

Looking at match lists, I see that McG had 2 ENT matches, one at McG one at LSU. UTSW had 3, all of them being out of state and one them being Vanderbilt. Do you see yourself practicing in another state in the near future? UTSW might give you an edge here.

What I like about UTSW is how robust its clinical education is. UTSW is known for its nationally recognized residencies and being able to do rotations in Parkland is a great privilege.

BTW, I've seen other McG vs UTSW posts on here and reddit. You should check them out. Good luck!

- TMC uniqueness - connections to faculty in other institutions

As a medical student at UTH though, you are not going to be interacting with faculty at Baylor or rotating at places like Texas Childrens/St Lukes etc unless you are actively seeking out some faculty at these institutions.

If you at all have aspirations to do residency at Mass Eye and Ear or Hopkins, then you should rank UTSW over UTH

As a medical student at UTH though, you are not going to be interacting with faculty at Baylor or rotating at places like Texas Childrens/St Lukes etc unless you are actively seeking out some faculty at these institutions.

If you at all have aspirations to do residency at Mass Eye and Ear or Hopkins, then you should rank UTSW over UTH

My main concern is the risk of not matching, if I pursue a surgical subspecialty.

I am sure both UTSW and UTH have the resources to support me, but I am unsure how far the UTSW brand name / notable faculty will help me match better.

Members don't see this ad :)
My main concern is the risk of not matching, if I pursue a surgical subspecialty.

I am sure both UTSW and UTH have the resources to support me, but I am unsure how far the UTSW brand name / notable faculty will help me match better.

When someone does not match into a competitive specialty like ENT regardless of whether they are at UTSW or UTH, that is an indictment on the student whether their step scores were not competitive or failed a bunch of clerkships etc, not the medical school.

UTSW does offer a bit of an advantage compared to UTH b/c its considered a top 25 med school and has more of that general name recognition. I cannot speak directly for ENT since I'm in medicine but if you compare match lists between the 2 institutions at least in IM, you will see more of the big time programs. That being said, if you rather be closer to your support system and like the general vibe of UTH better, then that is fine. You are not closing any doors on yourself as far as aiming for a competitive specialty

Last edited:
When someone does not match into a competitive specialty like ENT regardless of whether they are at UTSW or UTH, that is an indictment on the student whether their step scores were not competitive or failed a bunch of clerkships etc, not the medical school.

UTSW does offer a bit of an advantage compared to UTH b/c its considered a top 25 med school and has more of that general name recognition. I cannot speak directly for ENT since I'm in medicine but if you compare match lists between the 2 institutions at least in IM, you will see more of the big time programs. That being said, if you rather be closer to your support system and like the general vibe of UTH better, then that is fine. You are not closing any doors on yourself as far as aiming for a competitive specialty
Thank you for your insight! I do like the idea of having P/F preclinicals and UTSW's match list, but yeah I like the vibe of UTH better. Looks like I have some deliberation to do, and thanks again for your input!

Thank you for your insight! I do like the idea of having P/F preclinicals and UTSW's match list, but yeah I like the vibe of UTH better. Looks like I have some deliberation to do, and thanks again for your input!

I do want to note that P/F preclinicals really don't matter that much in the grand scheme so long as AOA is a thing (and UTSW does factor in preclinicals for it to my knowledge). One thing I keep being seen said about McG/Long is that the P/F thing is a turnoff, but in reality preclinical grades have always been very low on residency priority lists since there's no meaningful way to look at them now with so many schools having different systems, and the main thing that matters is AOA in which case you'll be graded starting from day 1 at UTSW unless something has changed from when I last remember it.

Essentially, P/F really shouldn't be a determining factor here since neither are TRUE p/f. I'm not really sure how having P/F preclinicals only in name is that much better than non p/f preclinicals where you at least have a gauge of where you're standing. That being said if the prestige for UTSW matters, then that by itself is a fair reason. I will say the benefit of TMC is not necessarily connecting to faculty in other institutions but it's incredibly easy to get any shadowing/research opportunity you want. I cannot understate how much easier it is when you have a ton of options, all happily willing to have you on board for a project. Many of my friends have literally emailed the Head of (insert random specialty) department chair and gotten to shadow them or a close acquaintance within a week. I didn't really understand what they meant by TMC being a benefit during my cycle but I've been really able to see why people talk about it so highly.

Reactions: 1 users