SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

TMDSAS requirements vs. AMCAS requirements for TX resident?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by LittlePaozi, Dec 6, 2017 at 1:02 PM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. LittlePaozi

LittlePaozi

Aug 24, 2017
    I am a Texas Resident. I currently live in Beaumont but from San Antonio, my husband is a state trooper and we are planning to move back to San Antonio next year June. I plan to go back to CC and finish pre-reqs for med school. I graduate with a masters in science in health and Kinesiology from UTSA in 2 weeks, and my bachelors in science in health in 2011 from UTSA as well.

Even though I have a few pre-med requirements from my bachelors such as bio 1 and lab and chem 1 and lab. I realized that AMCAS is the only site that states that pre-requisites must be within the 5 years of applying for medical school. But TMDSAS doesn’t state any of that. Since by the time I will finish my prereqs will 2019 or 2020 to apply for med school will my prereqs from undergrad 2011. My question is, do I need to still re-do pre-read it if applying to Texas??

I know the best option is re-do it since it will be within the 5 years of applying to out of state schools. But I could save money and time by working on other prereqs instead of redoing them if I can. Just wanted some thoughts or opinions or if anyone had applied over the 5 years?

Any feedback will be appreciated!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DV-T

DV-T 2+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2015
    The answer depends on several factors:

1) What is your current undergrad cGPA and sGPA?;
    2) Did you get a grade lower than a C in any non-science or science prereq?;
    3) Have you taken the MCAT?, and
    4) Are you considering both MD and DO schools?

Your masters GPA will not be taken into consideration for most/all MD admission decisions, but some DO schools will consider it. Generally, TMDSAS will include all grades in undergrad and postbacc courses into an overall GPA and overall sGPA. There might be an issue with courses over 5 years old if you don't do well on those sections on the MCAT.

If you kill the C/P and B/B sections of the MCAT, then I don't think that TMDSAS schools will count prereq science courses older than 5 years against you. However, since science is dynamic, and if you believe that you need to reacquaint yourself with the material to prepare for the MCAT, then retake them (But make sure you get A's though).

I can better advise if you provide answers to #1 through #4 above.

4. LibBum

LibBum

Aug 27, 2016
    Texas
    There are no time limitations for coursework, TMDSAS only recommends recent course work for exposure. I emailed them for the clarification when I went back to school for a DIY post-bac.

5. LittlePaozi

LittlePaozi

Aug 24, 2017
    My c/gpa is 3.7 and s/gpa is 3.3 but I didn’t finish all my science prereqs for med school. Which is why I’m asking would it matter when I took my prereqs because if I re-take the few beginning.

The only C I ever got was human anatomy lab in undergrad. I got a D in politics but retook it in undergrad. It’s not the best but I picked it up in my undergrad with a 3.7. I know Masters won’t count which is why I didn’t even include my masters gpa.

I took the practice mcat but it was years ago. I haven’t even touched it because I need chem 2, o-chem 1 and 2 and physics 1/2.

I am considering both DO and MD. I would like DO, but there’s only 2 schools in TX. Which is why I am asking about AMCAS/ AACOM, the classes wont be accepted over the 5 years when I apply. So I should probably retake since science is constantly changing which I do agree. But I feel like it would be a waste of money if it’s just bio 1 and chem 1.

6. LittlePaozi

LittlePaozi

Aug 24, 2017
    I am most likely going to do a DIY post-bac some at CC and then genetics/ upper classes at 4-year.

7. DV-T

DV-T 2+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Sounds like a plan.

Along with strong substantive ECs (clinical hours, non-clinical volunteering, leadership experiences, primary care shadowing, etc.) and a solid 510+ on your MCAT, you are good to go.

upload_2017-12-7_14-10-25.png

GL!!

8. LittlePaozi

LittlePaozi

Aug 24, 2017
    Thank you. If I have anymore questions I will probably contact you in regards to 5 years or not.

9. AnotherLawyer

AnotherLawyer Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2014
    None of the TMDSAS schools require that your coursework be completed within the last x years. You have limited time and there are countless things premeds can do to improve their competitiveness as applicants. Retaking pre-reqs simply because they are old is not a good use of your limited time (at least in TX).

All my math and English coursework was >> ten years old and I had no issues this cycle.