TMDSAS : special circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3dee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented."

In this essay can we explain any grade deficiencies during one semester of college? If there is where it can be done, do we need to go into details or just keep it as " My grades suffered due to X, Y, and Z". Of course not THAT brief but you know. My dad got really sick one semester so I was always traveling back and forth...so I was wondering whether I had to go into details of the illness or just state the above.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that would be a good place to do it only if you haven't mentioned it elsewhere and there is actually suffering of the grades i.e. Not "I was only able to pull off a 3.8 because my dad was ill and I couldn't focus."

haha no...my grades really did suffer.... I was overcommitted to too many things (president of a club, volunteering), had 2 jobs, and my dad got sick...... all these things causing me to get 3 Cs one semester.... I am not quite sure how to explain it or how much I should say about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Explain that your dad got sick and in what semester that was (Spring 2005 for example), but do NOT try to set it up as an excuse for your grades. Let them come that conclusion on their own.

Yeah, I agree with TheRealMD. You can use the essay to explain any grade anomalies. Being overextended explains it, but don't use it to excuse your bad grades.