TMDSAS special experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timemachine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I put in "special experiences" section for TMDSAS? I feel the most important special thing is already in my personal statement? Does this have to be medicine-related? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

no, i don't think it has to be medicine related. i think it's there for anything else that you haven't had a chance to talk about in depth.

also i wouldn't write about anything already talked about in your personal statement.

Thank you very much!
So if I donot want to write anything, I can just leave it blank, right?

yourmom25 said:
no, i don't think it has to be medicine related. i think it's there for anything else that you haven't had a chance to talk about in depth.

also i wouldn't write about anything already talked about in your personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advisor told me it's only for extenuating circumstances. Shouldn't just BS stuff in there, they will smell it a mile away. I left it blank.

eternalrage said:
Advisor told me it's only for extenuating circumstances. Shouldn't just BS stuff in there, they will smell it a mile away. I left it blank.
Agreed. If you have to think to come up with something, it probably doesn't qualify. Raised by wolves and whatnot? Jumps right to top of mind.

here's what my advisor told me after attending a conference that discussed tmdsas:

"They did discuss the optional essay on diversity, but didn't mention the other essay. With regard to the diversity essay, they said that even if a person is not a minority themselves, they expected that the applicant would discuss what they have learned from their experiences. For example, if they have had experiences working in a clinic or on a medical mission, the student should discuss their experiences with other cultures and their practices and values."

Pancho Villa said:
here's what my advisor told me after attending a conference that discussed tmdsas:

"They did discuss the optional essay on diversity, but didn't mention the other essay. With regard to the diversity essay, they said that even if a person is not a minority themselves, they expected that the applicant would discuss what they have learned from their experiences. For example, if they have had experiences working in a clinic or on a medical mission, the student should discuss their experiences with other cultures and their practices and values."

I discussed my experiences living in the border (providing care to undocumented immigrants? taxpayer burden, physician responsibility, how do you apply informed consent if the patients doesn't speak English??, etc) and how my humanities minor has shaped my views on medical practice. Since TMDSAS only gives you the chance to list 1 minor, and I listed my Chemistry minor there, I felt that I could use this space to mention that I am also minoring in humanities and have taken courses like Philosophy of Medicine, and World Religions, etc...

I think you should use this space if there is anything about you and your life experiences which you want the adcoms to know, considering you didn't already mention it in your personal statement.
Be creative...did you take a trip to India when you were 12? How did it shape your views about our world, about other cultures, racial/religious differences, etc???
Don't BS it, but if you truly want them to know, go ahead and use the space. :thumbup:

Thanks!. Does that mean the diversity assay is more important than the other one? Need to find something special about myself.

Pancho Villa said:

Timemachine said:
Thanks!. Does that mean the diversity assay is more important than the other one? Need to find something special about myself.
It depends on what you write. A variation of Murphy's law probably states that the one you do a horrible job on is the one that's more important.

But honestly, if you're having a difficult time trying to come up with something, it's best to leave it blank. I think I'd rather leave it blank than write something really stretched.

I left mine blank.