TMDSAS Texas med school apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Life2dmax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering when this application is made available? I know it is open 5/1 instead of the normal 6/1, but when could I see the contents to start working on it?

Also, I am taking the MCAT 4/1. However, would how much of a competitive disadvantage would it be to take it 4/28 and get it back 5/28...meaning that I would have to wait until the end of may to submit my application?

Members don't see this ad.

You can start working on it on May 1. However, you have to wait until you have your final grades from the spring semester to submit the app. You will be perfectly fine taking the 4/28 MCAT. No worries there ... your app will still be very early. I submitted on 6/13 with a LizzyM of 71 and interviewed at every TX school (except TCOM/UTRGV ... I did not apply).

Reactions: 1 user
I made the mistake of scheduling my MCAT so as to be in a favorable time frame for TMDSAS - ended up having to retake the MCAT in a gap year.

Focus on the MCAT first!!!! Unless you're constantly scoring in the 95th percentile on practice tests, worry about acing the MCAT before application.

You can already preview application sections, including the Personal Statement, Diversity and optional essay prompts.

Members don't see this ad :)
@texan2414 that's a very good point. I know multiple people who took the MCAT before they were ready for the sake of an early application and did poorly. They then rushed their retakes for the same cycle, now have 2 poor MCAT scores, and are facing multiple gap years. It's sad.

Reactions: 1 users
You can start working on it on May 1. However, you have to wait until you have your final grades from the spring semester to submit the app. You will be perfectly fine taking the 4/28 MCAT. No worries there ... your app will still be very early. I submitted on 6/13 with a LizzyM of 71 and interviewed at every TX school (except TCOM/UTRGV ... I did not apply).
Oh I see, but you might also just be a really competitive applicant so its hard to say :p . Either way I don't someone can tell me definitively that submitting it after x amount of days will be bad.

Question though: I go to a quarter system school and my last quarter grades come out mid june. They won't make me wait for those to submit will they?

As long as you submit a transcript upon transmitting your application it will get processed. Make sure to submit any updated transcripts as soon as they are available.

Also, I don't think there is x date that will severely hurt your chances if you are a competitive applicant.

I made a gutsy call last year when I decided to push my MCAT back into July(was going to originally take it in June), I ended up transmitting my TMDSAS application mid September to 5 schools and received 4 interviews and matched this cycle.

I wouldn't advise waiting that long but I do think as long as you transmit before August you will be fine. I truly believe
Early app<MCAT Score

As long as you submit a transcript upon transmitting your application it will get processed. Make sure to submit any updated transcripts as soon as they are available.

Also, I don't think there is x date that will severely hurt your chances if you are a competitive applicant.

I made a gutsy call last year when I decided to push my MCAT back into July(was going to originally take it in June), I ended up transmitting my TMDSAS application mid September to 5 schools and received 4 interviews and matched this cycle.

I wouldn't advise waiting that long but I do think as long as you transmit before August you will be fine. I truly believe
Early app<MCAT Score
Nice! Gotcha, yea definitely sounds like submitting it early isn't as big of a deal as some make to be, but its just good to submit as early as possible

I was wondering when this application is made available? I know it is open 5/1 instead of the normal 6/1, but when could I see the contents to start working on it?

Also, I am taking the MCAT 4/1. However, would how much of a competitive disadvantage would it be to take it 4/28 and get it back 5/28...meaning that I would have to wait until the end of may to submit my application?

You're fine. I took my MCAT mid-June, TMDSAS wasn't transmitted till end of July... Also you can submit your app while you wait for your MCAT score, which is what I did (TMDSAS transmitting can take up to a month!). Interviewed at 5 schools and matched :D

Would you say this is the same for OOS applicants? I am OOS and want to take my MCAT in May (hopefully May 6th!). Would this be too late for me in regards to TMDSAS apps?

So you can start working on the application on May 1st and also submit it on May 1st?

Would you say this is the same for OOS applicants? I am OOS and want to take my MCAT in May (hopefully May 6th!). Would this be too late for me in regards to TMDSAS apps?

Your application will still be early with that MCAT date. That is so early that I really don't think the IS/OOS distinction makes any difference. Also, I suggest working on your application after you take the MCAT and are waiting for your scores. Don't try to juggle those two things at once.

So you can start working on the application on May 1st and also submit it on May 1st?

Technically, yes. This really only works out if you've already graduated and don't have any spring grades to wait to get back. Don't rush through your application, though!

Hey guys, I have a question. So could you submit your applications BEFORE getting your MCAT score back?

Because my MCAT is in June so I'm not gonna get the score back until July :(

Hello, fellow Texans. If I plan to apply next year (May 2017), can I create a TMDSAS account this year to familiarize myself with the format of the application?

Your application will still be early with that MCAT date. That is so early that I really don't think the IS/OOS distinction makes any difference. Also, I suggest working on your application after you take the MCAT and are waiting for your scores. Don't try to juggle those two things at once.

Technically, yes. This really only works out if you've already graduated and don't have any spring grades to wait to get back. Don't rush through your application, though!
Thank you! Haha I'm not planning to do. It's just odd cause I think they opened them earlier last year and students had one month before they had the chance to submit everything!

bumping this old thread:

i submitted my app on 6/5 with my transcripts already on file. Now it is 6/24 and my MCAT, HPE packet, transcripts, are all on file and still says processing.

bumping this old thread:

i submitted my app on 6/5 with my transcripts already on file. Now it is 6/24 and my MCAT, HPE packet, transcripts, are all on file and still says processing.

also curious how long TMDSAS processing takes. So they're not even through 6/5 yet??? I submitted 6/9 with transcripts on file. Feeling anxious seeing as II's are already going out!

also curious how long TMDSAS processing takes. So they're not even through 6/5 yet??? I submitted 6/9 with transcripts on file. Feeling anxious seeing as II's are already going out!

Where have there been interviews sent out at?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Early app<MCAT Score

I'll second this experience. I also didn't transmit until mid-September to 6 schools, received 4 interviews and 2 pre-matches.

This is more of a personal feeling (I don't really have the numbers to back this up), but TX schools seem to skew towards high metrics in the holistic process, so a high MCAT score would go a long way.