Tmj Total Joint Replacement Serious Question.. Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TmjGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a pre-dental student but am very interested in tmj total joint replacements. I know a female patient around her early 40's who has had a bilateral total joint replacement due to severe osteoarthritis in 2002. I guess her ex husband was abusive and broke her jaw refusing to allow her to seek medical attention. It healed on its own. Since then no dentist would treat her for even simply cleanings or cavities. Just one week ago today she had to have a full mouth extractions under general anethesia at Case Western in Cleveland, Ohio. The problem she is having now is that her dentures do not fit at all and she can only wear the top plate. It is so crooked and it does not fit right at all that she has to have new dentures made. They will not take new impressions of her mouth until her stitches come out in 7 to 14 days. She said that it feels like her jaw is not stable and is in intense pain all the time. Her past history includes severe chronic pain of her jaw/face. Since surgery she has to use both hands to hold her jaw all day long because it feels so unstable and not supported. I guess the pain is much more intense and much much worse. It is possible for this total joint replacement to fail if she does not get help soon? How can you tell if the tmj replacement does fail? She asked the surgeon for implants but he did not want to do them at the time of extractions. Could he be held liable if injury occurs to her jaw post op? I have always been so interested in this field and am so fasinated in this case. What do you all think? Oh, this is my first time posting.. so if I did it wrong I apologize in advance. Thanks...TmjGirl

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a pre-dental student but am very interested in tmj total joint replacements. I know a female patient around her early 40's who has had a bilateral total joint replacement due to severe osteoarthritis in 2002. I guess her ex husband was abusive and broke her jaw refusing to allow her to seek medical attention. It healed on its own. Since then no dentist would treat her for even simply cleanings or cavities. Just one week ago today she had to have a full mouth extractions under general anethesia at Case Western in Cleveland, Ohio. The problem she is having now is that her dentures do not fit at all and she can only wear the top plate. It is so crooked and it does not fit right at all that she has to have new dentures made. They will not take new impressions of her mouth until her stitches come out in 7 to 14 days. She said that it feels like her jaw is not stable and is in intense pain all the time. Her past history includes severe chronic pain of her jaw/face. Since surgery she has to use both hands to hold her jaw all day long because it feels so unstable and not supported. I guess the pain is much more intense and much much worse. It is possible for this total joint replacement to fail if she does not get help soon? How can you tell if the tmj replacement does fail? She asked the surgeon for implants but he did not want to do them at the time of extractions. Could he be held liable if injury occurs to her jaw post op? I have always been so interested in this field and am so fasinated in this case. What do you all think? Oh, this is my first time posting.. so if I did it wrong I apologize in advance. Thanks...TmjGirl

Are you kidding me? This is the most redonk thing I've ever read.
Please, shut this thread down......

yeah unfortunately you sound like you are just looking for someone/thing to take to court

Hi, I am a pre-dental student

Which means you know absolutely nothing about dentistry, let alone oral and maxillofacial surgery.

They will not take new impressions of her mouth until her stitches come out in 7 to 14 days.

I wonder why?

She asked the surgeon for implants but he did not want to do them at the time of extractions.

But what does he know?

Why don't people just sit back and say "Hmm, my surgeon has gone through extensive training, probably knows best, and while it is important to ask questions about surgery, I will never have a deep enough understanding of the procedure to fully appreciate the complexities, so I will just have to trust them and hope for the best after thoughtfully considering my options."

Status
Not open for further replies.