To all 2nd years

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to congratulate those finishing their 1st year of OD school..Way to go! :)

I wanted to know from you guys what was the most difficult procedure/technique that you had to learn in your 1st year, and any tips on how to excel in it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Retinoscopy was by far the hardest thing to master first year. It's not hard conceptually... it just takes TONS of practice. My only tip is just to practice pratice practice!! It may seem impossible at first to be able to ret two eyes in four minutes (UHCO standard for the end of first year), but with a lot of practice time it can be done.. and with time to spare!

BIO was also complicated. The hardest part is making sure your 20D lens, light housing, and subject are all lined up right to get the best views. But, this also, takes practice. See a theme here?? ;)

Refraction is not that complicated once you get the sequence down. It's just remember the sequence and all the steps.

I know that second year we learn 78 and Goldmann so I'm a little nervous. My competency exam is Mid-November and determes for us whether or not we enter the clinic with the class at the begnning of the Spring semester. (when we start seeing our own patients) It's a big step, with 80 minutes of graded exam time with four different attendings. The pressure is intense and you have to perform well. I'm already nervous. :eek:

Thanks for your advice cpw!

Good luck on your competency exam. It seems like a big hurdle, so all the best of luck to you!