To all ADCOMS, how do you view a Primary application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WesternRedCedar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those of us who have retakes, the first page of the primary application will look all fine with decent GPA's and Course Records for the pre-reqs, but if you go to the end of the application it will show the previous marks as well.

When looking at primaries, do ADCOMS just look at the total cGPA and sGPA, and then skim the work experience/ECs and personal statement? Do they even bother to look at the individual coursework section at the very end of the application?

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, we do look at the entire app. But we all place different emphasis on different things. I only skim over the PS, but pay lots of attention to transcripts, ECs, LORs hobbies, and the secondaries. For transcripts, I especially look for rising or falling trends. For ECs, I look for diversity, and evidence of altruism and humanity. That's why I'm a fan of people who do TFA, Habitat for Humanity, Big Brother/Sister or have military service.

I also look to see if the person is a reapplicant to my school, and of there are any IAs or other red flags.

I look at coursework to see of the applicant has taken anything really interesting. That's always good for an interview question "Medieval French History ?". What's up with that?

So for those of us who have retakes, the first page of the primary application will look all fine with decent GPA's and Course Records for the pre-reqs, but if you go to the end of the application it will show the previous marks as well.

When looking at primaries, do ADCOMS just look at the total cGPA and sGPA, and then skim the work experience/ECs and personal statement? Do they even bother to look at the individual coursework section at the very end of the application?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you goro for your insight!

So given that you mentioned hobbies, is it in your opinion a good idea then to have 1 section on the application dedicated to hobbies?

I have heard mixed things about including hobbies. In my other thread on WAMC, i posted that I have a lot of ECs already listed, so I don't want to "crowd" things, but at the same time I don't want to not include some important hobbies of mine :)

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Firstly, we do look at the entire app. But we all place different emphasis on different things. I only skim over the PS, but pay lots of attention to transcripts, ECs, LORs hobbies, and the secondaries. For transcripts, I especially look for rising or falling trends. For ECs, I look for diversity, and evidence of altruism and humanity. That's why I'm a fan of people who do TFA, Habitat for Humanity, Big Brother/Sister or have military service.

I also look to see if the person is a reapplicant to my school, and of there are any IAs or other red flags.

I look at coursework to see of the applicant has taken anything really interesting. That's always good for an interview question "Medieval French History ?". What's up with that?

Is being a reapplicant seen as a negative? I'd like to know how schools view this aspect.

It is not at my school. Being a reapplicant does show determination and dedication, but there's a catch: You're held to a higher standard in that whatever deficit you had that caused you to be rejected in the first cycle has been fixed the second time around.

Is being a reapplicant seen as a negative? I'd like to know how schools view this aspect.

Reactions: 1 user
It is not at my school. Being a reapplicant does show determination and dedication, but there's a catch: You're held to a higher standard in that whatever deficit you had that caused you to be rejected in the first cycle has been fixed the second time around.

Thanks!

Goro - you've answered a criminal history question I've had before.

Last edited:
Both are for the same offence...double jeopardy! Again, it won't matter because of the time that's elapsed since then and the minuscule significance of the offence in the first place.

Goro - you've answered a criminal history question I've had before, but I never mentioned the IA.

When I was a freshmen in college, 13 years ago, I got busted with a joint and a fake ID. Since this happened on campus, I also go an IA..basically put on probation.

You've told me before that the joint and fake ID wont matter much of all since it was so long ago...should I assume the IA would follow suit?