To all engineering majors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetlight

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was your school and major...and what schools have you been accepted to or are applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a bioengineering major and I think thats part of the reason why I have not gotten a lot of interviews (GPA is SDN-low)

I've gotten into Penn St and Drexel so far. Waiting post interview from NYMC and U of Illinois.

Comp Sci major from UPenn (double majored with Biology). I come complete with an engineering GPA.

Accepted so far: Penn State, Jefferson, BU.

I should also mention that I did a special master's program at BU.

edit: August MCAT (remembered after seeing Shawty's post)

Members don't see this ad :)
bioengineering, electrical engineering major at UPENN

accepted: Penn St, Wake Forest, Maryland
waiting: Georgetown, Jefferson, Drexel, Tufts

interesting process. got 1 interview from a 'good' school. kind of dissapointed in that, but did apply after aug mcat so my apps were 'late.'

Chemical Engineering major at the University of Kansas - accepted at same medical school.

BME at Rutgers

3.9 GPA and still not accepted anywhere n only had two interviews

...dont know if it was the 29 mcat or that I took it in august that is killin me

streetlight said:
What was your school and major...and what schools have you been accepted to or are applying to?
Biomed engineering at Vanderbilt. Gotten into Louisville :) my state school. either way... goin to become a doc! woo hoo.

in almost all my interviews we talked about my school and my major. they say that we have difficulty in the first 2 years but the clinical years we do really well. we'll see if that holds true.

BS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from Cal Berkeley. typical engineering gpa, high mcat. 7 interviews: on 3 hold lists, 1 rejection, still waiting and hoping.... took the april mcat, but didn't get out secondaries as quickly as i should have.

bioeng:premed at ucsd. my stats are on mdapplicants. 10 interview invites, 1 acceptance so far - i suck at interviews.

i feel that being a humanities major or business/econ major instead of engineering does just as much to separate yourself from the bio crowd and being somewhat unique. getting a good gpa is a much higher priority.

CWRU, computer engineering (and German). Accepted at Wash U, Ohio State, Eastern Virginia Medical School, got the acceptance-promising email from Pitt. No interview from Duke, Harvard, or Mayo, waitlisted at University of Virginia, rejected post-interview from Georgetown. Waiting to hear from Hopkins and Columbia.

bioengineering, UC Berkeley

engineering at Cal is GPA murder. i didn't decide to apply to med school until late in the game, so i pulled it up a little bit in my last semester (maybe the upward trend was favorable)

i was invited to interview at SUNY Buffalo, EVMS, NYMC, Albert Einstein, and Northwestern.

bme at iowa, 7 interviews, going to uic

aerospace engineering from auburn (but a georgia resident now)

accepted medical college of georgia
waiting for Emory (waitlist time) and Duke

i'm a second career student and i only applied to about 6 schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, interesting most of you biomedical/biological engineers.
I'll be a freshman at MIT next year and want to study biological engineering (a new major for next year). However they are only enrolling 20 students per class by lottery while it gets started.
In the case I don't get the biological engineering lottery, I'm thinking of majoring pure science biology and minoring in BME... I'm not sure about that yet though :/
I'm also pretty scared about the "engineer's GPA" hindering me from med schools...

computer engineering major at purdue, 4.0 gpa
interviewed at 8 places, admitted to some, going to slu som

bioengineering major at cornell
like my counterpart from cal said, engineering (especially on top of pre-med) is simply gpa-suicide here..

ChemE at Georgia Tech.

15 interviews: Duke, Penn, Columbia, WashU, Hopkins, Yale, Emory, Vandy, Cincinnati, Case, Cleveland Clinic, Baylor, UMich, NYU, Northwestern.

5 acceptances so far.

The waitlists/rejections are starting to pour in now.

Electrical Engineering...with an emphasis in biomedical engineering.
graduated top 1% in my class
school: University of Texas - Austin

went on 7 interviews, declined 3

accepted at Tech, VCU, Tulane.

bioengineering at ucsd (the real abet certified one, sorry passthesashimi but the ucsd bioeng premed major is missing something like 10 engineering classes and only sorta counts as a true engineering major).

yep, its GPA suicide. i pulled of 3.5 by the skin of my teeth. after my time they changed the courses over from mechanical, structural, and chemical engineering to bioeng only classes and gpas have gone up. my mcat was only so-so

applied MD/PhD to 21 schools, sent in 19 secondaries.

interviews: CCCLM, OHSU(MSTP), U Vermont (MD/PhD), UCI (MSTP), Harvard (HST program w/ MIT holy crap how did I get this), and UCSD (MSTP)

rejections: bloody everywhere, OHSU post interview

waitlisted: CCCLM, Vermont

accepted: UCI MSTP!!!!!

still waiting: Harvard, UCSD interview today

Everywhere I interviewed seemed to know that engineering is a) harder and b) results in lower gpa

to save myself the typing:

mdapplicants = 2403.

(and yeah, engineering ruined my social life)

ChemE, Texas A&M

Accepted: UTSW
Waiting: Baylor
Waitlisted: UMich

Hopkins BME

accepted: UMD, USUHS, NYMC, Drexel, Penn State

waitlisted: yikes.. a whole bunch... (they are all listed on my mdapplicants profile though -> profile 2063 i think)

Just curious, how do med schools view people applying with an engineering degree? Does it help out alot? Also, during the interviews, do they ask alot of questions about the change? I graduated EE, cum laude, at UC Irvine.

Are any of you engineers looking into MD,MS programs where the MS is in biomedical engineering devices? Do you guys know which schools have a program like this? Thanks

I'm not sure what I should study at MIT if I do not get the biological engineering lottery? What do you guys think will be most conducive to getting into a top-tier med school from the GPA-cracking MIT?

streetlight said:
I'm not sure what I should study at MIT if I do not get the biological engineering lottery? What do you guys think will be most conducive to getting into a top-tier med school from the GPA-cracking MIT?

to answer your question streetlight, mit is one of those schools that produces graduates with notoriously low gpas. with that said, i'll tell you from experience that i would go with something i really like and something in the sciences. bioeng will be tough if you get it but it is an excititng field. if you are really gung-ho about engineering and dont get the bioE, look possibly at cheme, but you will have to work your butt off. in the long run nothing in the world can substitute for an engineering degree from mit. i guess you have to decide for yourself if the engineering degree is worth the lower gpa, becasue i can all but guarentee at mit for engineers the workload will be higher, and the gpa will be lower.

to gonz..
i think you posted somewhere else, but i too am interested in such programs, and basically ive had to look up individual schools for programs, and since im looking east coast the only one ive really found is vandy..
i guess just keep looking at school's websites in your spare time..

Mechanical Engineering, University of Alabama,

I'll be applying to the typical variety of schools this summer, but I'll probably stick to the southeast/east... we'll see how it goes!!

And yeah, I'm pretty interested in Vandy's 5-year MD/MBME program too.... if only they'll show a state school grad some love :)

EE currently building Bluetooth EKG for senior design engineering class.

Hey ferzen, were you at the ASME SBC in Vail last month? I think I remember seeing a presentation on Bluetooth EKG there... (or maybe the RSC in florida?)

ferzen said:

ChemE major applying now...god i wish my GPA was higher :(

chemE. got into miami and usf.

ferzen said:

sweet, we did a bluetooth pacemaker in one of my BME design classes. bluetooth was for communication between the pacemaker in the body and the surgeon/computer.