To all Flinders students and soon to be students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasminegab

psych student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that flinders only has 30 international spots a semester or year. So, I called them to talk with them and was told that most of the spots go unfilled. She also told me that only the top students are admitted. I understood this to mean that if you don't have at least 3.9 GPA, 30 or above MCAT and extensive research experience, you have no chance of getting accepted. Can someone please tell me if this is true? Just how difficult is it to get into Flinders?

Jasminegab

Members don't see this ad.

this is totally untrue I have been accepted with a GPA much lower than this and a MCAT score slightly higher. As for the research I do have done a little on a volunteer basis, but this was never brought up in the interview. The only info they have before theinterview is your GPA and MCAT

Several students accepted with gpa's hovering in the low 3's and MCATs in the low 30's have been on this board. This doesn't mean those are the lower limits, but rather they give an idea of the upper limits on the lower limits ;)

I think the only real conclusion that can be drawn from their statement is that they have some self-control when evaluating students -- if candidates are below their standards for a given year, they won't lower the quality of the student body just to take your cash.

Because Flinders looks pretty equally at all of gpa, MCAT, and interview, an exceptional score for one w/ good scores for the others could still sway them.

Oh, and this also tells me that those who haven't even interviewed yet won't be hurt (since the normal "law of diminishing returns" doesn't apply).

-Pitman

Members don't see this ad :)
this is totally untrue I have been accepted with a GPA much lower than this and a MCAT score slightly higher. As for the research I do have done a little on a volunteer basis, but this was never brought up in the interview. The only info they have before theinterview is your GPA and MCAT

Hello future Flinderians

This is completely false.
Flinders always fills the international quota. as for MCAT scores, the lowest one i know of is a 26. THEY WILL FILL THE QUOTA NO MATTER WHAT. Sometimes international students withdraw for various reasons, which i wont talk about here , but dont worry, it is not due to the dificulty of the program. the bottom line is cash, and cash is always in demand at any medical school. i was accepted with a lower MCAT score than the first poster stated and a much lower GPA, during a year when over 90 students got interviews. I also have no research experience, but some decent volunteer work. so "no worries", you will get in if you can pay and the quota isn't filled yet. Things are getting a bit more selective though, since more students are applying, so that is probably what the person you spoke to on the phone meant

And PITty,(we add a -ty or -ie to everything here) it doesn't matter whether you have been interviewed yet since only half or so are accepted into the early quota and the reast are accepted into the regular quota. But September is kind of Late for an interview. Keep your fingers crossed!

I have to agree with Melanosis. I attended an Open Day at UQ about a year ago, and the Head of School said that the international spots HAD TO be filled or they'd have to lay-off some of the staff.. I don't know if he was joking but its clear that they need the money. Cha-Ching!

Cheers,

Ruben

Originally posted by melanosis
Flinders always fills the international quota...THEY WILL FILL THE QUOTA NO MATTER WHAT.

Sorry for the misinformation -- was going on the assumption that "not filled" meant it was by the school's choice. Too bad, it sounded cool that maybe they were stubborn with standards!

And PITty,(we add a -ty or -ie to everything here) it doesn't matter whether you have been interviewed yet since only half or so are accepted into the early quota and the reast are accepted into the regular quota. But September is kind of Late for an interview. Keep your fingers crossed!

Heard directly from the dir. of admissions that interviewing in Adelaide (in Oct, when I'll be there) wouldn't hurt one's chances at all. Still trying to figure out how exactly that works, and unfilled-spots-by-school's-choice would have explained it (some students who interviewed this summer in Toronto have been accepted, so maybe only the "top" candidates are being notified, others awaiting completion of local int'l interviews).

-Pitman

As noted above, the international quota almost always fills - perhaps they meant that it wasn't filled YET for the upcoming year. They will fill with people from the waiting list if others drop out before matriculation - however, this should not be misconstrued as that Flinders (or any other Aussie) school will take just anyone. There are more than enough qualified applicants/interviewees to fill the spots many times over. So yes, they will fill the quota ("no matter what") but there are still some standards to admission.

It is of relatively little use asking about average/minimum required gpa and MCAT scores - they'll take other things into account when evaluating your application. There are some students with very high gpas and MCAT scores, and those with lower ones. A combination of low gpa and low MCAT is much more likely to hurt you than one or the other. IMHO, a preference is given to those with a high gpa (over those with low gpa but high MCAT) because that demonstrates hard work over the long run.

It is of relatively little use asking about average/minimum required gpa and MCAT scores - they'll take other things into account when evaluating your application

So what are the other things that are taken into consideration? I've read on other posts that extracurricular interests and volunteering are irrelevant, but I would classify them as "other things". Help! anyone who knows what they look for. I won't be applying until next year, but if I apply I want to give myself the best possible chance. Cheers!

coastal - one way to assess what other things Flinders might be looking for is to look at the application form. Unlike UQ or any other school that uses the ACER form, (which is only 1 page), the Flinders application was I think 3 pages long, and asked for a complete listing of all voluntary, part-time, and full-time work since high school. Needless to say, that's a lot of information. Also, they wanted a list of science courses and grades, awards and scholarships, that sort of thing. I can't remember what else, but it's on their website. Hope that helps and good luck with apps.

"In the beginning"...Flinders didn't care much about ECs. None of the Aussies had them and they didn't expect the Internationals to either.

However, as time rolled on and the number of apps increased, they began to see that many of the Internationals had substantial ECs and they started using that as a minor contributor to admissions.

IMHO, besides gpa and MCAT the major contributor is the interview. You have to come across as confident, independent and a team player who is interested in being in Australia not just because its the only place that will interview you. They interview a fair number of people so if your scores are at least adequate they'll base a lot of weight on your acceptance at interview.