SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

To all future applicants PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by rhillstr, May 1, 2000.

1. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 2, 1999
    Downer's Grove, IL
    Just 9 months ago I was in your shoes, confused and worried about what it takes to get in. I see the same questions over and over so I want to set the record straight and create a master post that all applicants can use and hopefully all med students can post to in order to suppliment.

1. Forget the MCAT and GPA numbers game. There is no magic numbers that guarantee acceptance OR rejection. They simply need to show you can survive the curriculum and are willing to work hard, not that you are some sort of wizard. A 3.0 GPA can represent multiple things. For example a slow start that gets better, or simple consistent performance at that level. That is what ADCOMS look at. Retaking MCAT to get one or two points is counter-productive. An increase is expected with familiarization. Bottom line: Apply. If you don't get in call and ask what needs work, then blast it!

2. "DO schools only care about numbers." That is absolutely NOT true! Traditionally they screen for people, not academics. When you apply, write essays and have letter prepared, focus on your personal traits that will benefit you as a doc. Be creative! For example talk about how an anthropology degree would help you understand people better. Be yourself not some ideal applicant you think the school wants to see. You'll stand out that way. Everything you do in life helps make you a better doctor.

3. Learn something about the DO profession. Read books about history and philosophy. Understand how Osteo med evolved and and grew. Why it is where and what it is. Think about why you want to be a doc and why osteo. If you are thinking money or presitige you are doing it the hardest and most inefficient way possible. The greatest rewards of medicine are mostly intrinsic.

4. Learn about each school you apply to. Be prepared on both secondaries and at interviews to explain why that school would be good for you AND what you can give back to the school!

5. Letters of recommendation. In my opinion, not enough can be said about this...
    If you wait till three weeks before your letter is needed you might as well save some stamps and application fees. Give your writers AMPLE time to write and FOLLOW UP on them ever so politely to make sure they get done. They are hard to write, and they are easy to set aside and forget. I have seen good students lose ground to late rec. letters.

6. Show initiative and organization by getting your application in early. You look better when compared to a handful of other applicants than when compared to thousands. Early applications get a more thourough looking over. That totally works to your advantage, especially if your numbers are not stellar.

7. I apologize in advance for this one but,
    I personally have seen pre-health advisors do more harm then good. Few know about what DO schools want and so they default to what allopathic schools look for. NOT THE SAME. Seek someone who has sent students to DO schools or has experience with these programs. I personally found a chem teacher who was in the know about osteopathic to help me. Don't avoid the P.H. advisors but take their advice with a grain of salt and don't be shy to ask them about their experience with DO schools and applicants to them.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    rhillstr-

Thank you very much for that comprehensive list. I appreciate the help of folks like yourself, as it makes me more confident about the whole application process and reminds me what I am doing all of this studying for.

Thanks again! (And I'm sure I speak for many)

------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"

4. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Michigan
    Nice recap rhillstr. Not much more to say.

5. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 2, 1999
    Downer's Grove, IL
    Nice to know all that typing went to good use!
    [​IMG]
    Bored waiting for school to start... [​IMG]
    September seems so far away.

6. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member 10+ Year Member

May 3, 2000
    monroe, MI, USA
    Question for you...I really do want to become a DO. I feel they relate better to patients and have a more extensive perspective on the body as a whole...however, I have no DO experience. Does this mean that I am S.O.L. when it come to applying? How can I prove that I do want to become a DO?

7. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    tiffsatt-

Pick ONE folder to ask this question. You will find that the more you post about the same thing, the less likely you are to get responses.

------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"