to all future Mds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT747

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the right medical school for me and I need some help from your guys. Does anyone know any medical school that records the lectures for most of the classes on videotapes. So if one missed some part of the notes during the lecture, or didn't understand certain concepts , he could go back and revisit that part of the lecture.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about video tape but ours (U.Kentucky) does audio tape. These can be reviewed in the A/V library at any time.

[edit] didn't mention it earlier, but we also have all lectures posted on line in power point format for certain classes. we don't get that for histology, but then again our histology class sucked more @$$ than any four other classes I have had in my entire life. we do get that for anatomy and biochemistry so far, but not for histo or genetics.[/edit]

University of Maryland records each day's lectures in mp3 format, which are available for download that day on a student-access website. The Powerpoint slides are usually available as well, but this is lecturer dependent. Honestly, I skipped a lot of lectures in year 2 because it was so easy to recreate them at home. It just seemed like a better use of my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might consider schools that offer an independent study option: you take all of your classes from home with educational materials provided by the school.

Ohio State has this.

I think nearly every school has some version of 'mednotes', which is a paraphrased transcription made from an audiotape of every lecture.

Cinci has all the notes/powerpoint online, as well as everything we need to know in a "syllabus" that is distributed at the beginning of the year. We do not have to buy books.

As far as tough lectures in Biochem they are recorded (audio and video) and put online so we can watch them at will.

GW has lectures recorded on audio tape, lecture notes provided by the lecturer, and transcribed notes by a professional transcription service.

pretty sure MCP Hahnemann tapes all their lectures for students.

Stanford posts all lectures (video and audio) online. UCSF does not, but we get lecture notes and powerpoint presentations, which is enough to study on your own if you are a visual/reader learner.

Wayne put 'some' of the lectures on VCD, recorded all lectures.

There were only a FEW classes (ie Nutrition and Human Sexuality) where the exams weren't straight from the notes.

Like the posters above, I did correspondance school (only showed up for exams) 2nd year...I slept in, studied in the afternoon and evenings...and freed up lots of time to party on the weekends!

University of Wisconsin videotapes all lectures, sometimes even review sessions and such as well...they're available at the library within a couple days. We also get complete lecture notes at the start of each unit, so you don't have to worry about frantically taking notes in lecture.

Hopkins has pretty much everything: videotaped lectures to watch via RealPlayer, available within a few hours after lecture; Powerpoint files of the lecturers' slides; and binders of notes given out before each class begins. You wouldn't ever have to go to class, except for test days, although I wouldn't recommend going that route...

Baylor has a nice video tape service. You can watch the tapes of each lecture in the library, use Realplayer to download the streaming video/audio at school, OR if you have DSL like me.. you can sit at home and watch the lectures. I stopped going to class in September and I'm doing just fine. Actually, a lot of students have started to shy away from going to class. It pretty much depends on how motivated you are (i.e. don't sleep in until 11AM or whatever).

For me, it's more feasible to wake up and lounge around in my PJs catching up on some required reading and study the syllabus. Then I usually watch the lectures using a nifty tool called "ENounce" (www.enounce.com)... this plug-in speeds up lectures up to 2X the normal speed. I can't comprehend some lectures at chipmonk-speed, so I usually set it at around 1.4-1.5X speed and get some good note-taking in.

Members don't see this ad :)
At LSU-S, we have an outside person recording lecture and taking notes. Additionally, all powerpoints are on the internet. It wouldn't be too hard to get a buddy to record the lecture for you; you two could even alternate days. Two years ago, my school had the distinction of having the most classroom hours of any medschool in the nation. Now, however, the classroom hours have been reduced. Unfortunately, the attendance policy sucks. We have to make it to 95% of the lectures per course. If not, your final grade suffers dramatically.

Jason

University of Minnesota-Minneapolis has a program called "lectures online" where all lectures, review session, etc. are taped and you can watch them (and hear them) at home if you want. We also have what we call a "Note Co-op" where students take turns transcribing notes and then you get a copy.

Both programs are wonderful and have saved me not only when I wasn't in class, but also when you just want to review as well.

Good luck with your decision!

LID

Yeah, all MCW lectures are audio taped, plus we have the student note coop, and official lecture notes handed out beforehand which may or may not end up being helpful. But so far in this game, I have never come across the problem of having TOO FEW resources for anything....I almost can't figure out what to use first!

Originally posted by LID
University of Minnesota-Minneapolis has a program called "lectures online" where all lectures, review session, etc. are taped and you can watch them (and hear them) at home if you want. We also have what we call a "Note Co-op" where students take turns transcribing notes and then you get a copy.

Both programs are wonderful and have saved me not only when I wasn't in class, but also when you just want to review as well.

Good luck with your decision!

LID

Yep, I go to U of MN as well, and I use the Lectures Online a LOT. For instance, we had a genentics class that met at 8:00 AM and I didn't go once--A week before the final, I downloaded all the notes and watched all the lectures online in the comfort of my home (ie, with beer in hand). The service is nice, because you can pause the lecture to jot things down or rewind it or whatever. Anyway, I did well on the final and got to sleep late every day. Good deal!

At CWRU we have the lectures audiotaped (and now videotaped! :clap: ). We also get all syllabus material in print and online.

Originally posted by Incendiary
Hopkins has pretty much everything: videotaped lectures to watch via RealPlayer, available within a few hours after lecture; Powerpoint files of the lecturers' slides; and binders of notes given out before each class begins. You wouldn't ever have to go to class, except for test days, although I wouldn't recommend going that route...

The University of Miami has the same exact set up described in this post.

Originally posted by cmz
Baylor has a nice video tape service. You can watch the tapes of each lecture in the library, use Realplayer to download the streaming video/audio at school, OR if you have DSL like me.. you can sit at home and watch the lectures. I stopped going to class in September and I'm doing just fine. Actually, a lot of students have started to shy away from going to class. It pretty much depends on how motivated you are (i.e. don't sleep in until 11AM or whatever).

For me, it's more feasible to wake up and lounge around in my PJs catching up on some required reading and study the syllabus. Then I usually watch the lectures using a nifty tool called "ENounce" (www.enounce.com)... this plug-in speeds up lectures up to 2X the normal speed. I can't comprehend some lectures at chipmonk-speed, so I usually set it at around 1.4-1.5X speed and get some good note-taking in.

Except that since the MS2 attendance has fallen by the wayside this last semester, they are setting up a committee to review doing away with videotaped lectures. :( +pissed+

Originally posted by lilycat
Except that since the MS2 attendance has fallen by the wayside this last semester, they are setting up a committee to review doing away with videotaped lectures. :( +pissed+

Yikes... I'd be pissed off, too. Where do you get your info from anyways? :D

Originally posted by cmz
Yikes... I'd be pissed off, too. Where do you get your info from anyways? :D

Hamra. Who supposedly is not on the committee, and says she doesn't really care either way, but it's still really obvious that she doesn't like that the students for her block have dropped in attendence. Specifically though, she cited the comments of professors for MS2 fall semester, who apparently have been saying that they don't want to teach if only less than 50% of the class is showing up, which they attribute to the videotaped lectures. :(

Originally posted by oldman
MN has all lectures recorded in Real Media. We can download our lectures, watch and listen to them.

haha, i didn't look at some of my fellow sotans posting right before mine.

that's what i get for posting after reading just the 1st poster.

btw, all you U people, our histo grades are posted. i passed!