To all practicing Optometrists in canada-ontario

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outsidechance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been reading a fair bit of the threads in this section and its hard to not pick up on all of the negative feelings/emotions about the current and future direction of the profession in the USA. I am Canadian and it sounds like I would not want to practice in the USA after hearing all of these stories I hope its not the true sentiment out there.

I wanted to ask some practicing optometrists in Canada, more specifically ontario(if there are any on here)how they feel about their current and future prospects? I know there are 2 schools in canada, predominately Waterloo and a smaller french speaking school in quebec. Has Canada become as over saturated as the USA? especially in urban areas such as the gta? I heard Ottawa was a great place to practice a couple years back but im not sure how thats looking currently?

I am a prospective optom student trying to decide on a future carreer in this field any insight would be greatly appreciated. My intention would be to set up my own private practice 3 years after I graduate. Ive heard some people say with an aging population and lack of opthamalogists in our cdn system demand for optometrists will increase as opthamologist and gp's become even more backlogged they would need to refer to optometrists for minor eye care needs, like glaucoma and diabetic complications. Tack on the sky rocketing rates of childhood diabetes and in the general population I thought that would create a large demand and be good for the profession and create a good future outlook?

I also believe the amount of debt that canadian students would carry would be considerably less then american students so has that also made life a lot easier to set up private practises? and in general do private practices tend to do better in Canada compared to the usa?

One last thing, I heard walmart has set up funding to create a new optometry school in the usa? soley to train optoms for their stores I would imagine. Is that true? If it is thats just the worst thing ive ever heard. I was wondering if anyone else has heard about this.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to open up your own practice, then IMO you should do so in an area where they are in need of OD's because many cities in southern ontario are getting too many docs too fast....i don't know why the school's are churning out so many OD's but it will be getting overly saturated in the bigger cities very soon.