To all that have taken Orgo.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpduck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm just about to start my sophomore year which means starting Organic. I hate all the calculations that general chem had (most of it in General Chem 2). I was just wondering if Organic has as much calculation/math as general or less? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

a lot less calculations.....i actually liked orgo....and didn't like gen chem much at all!

Each one has a lot of things to hate. I thought I would have a better time in Ochem just like you I hated the calculations, but then Ochem was not fun either.

So don't hope for a lot of fun and excitement. There are a lot of memorization, theories, and all that other crap. If you like to draw then you might like it.

Everyone has to go through this crap, but they say its worth it at the end...i sure hope so.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
There are barely any calculations, even in lab!
I loved Ochem and HATED G Chem.
I have heard that if you hate Gchem than you'll like ochem and vice versa.
Ochem just makes more sense since you're concentrating on one thing basically the whole year (more and more reactions and mechanisms) whereas, in Gchem, you go over SOOOOO many different topics!

sweet! this is good to hear, considering gen chem is making me go crazy and killing my gpa :(

I am in the same boat as Beagle: I didn't care much for General Chem., and I loved Organic Chem. Organic was my favorite college course!

As a sidenote, I now like General Chem. and the problems don't bother me. I took General Chem. as a freshman, so maybe academic maturity has something to do with it.

In any event, Organic has no calculations whatsoever.

I suck so incredibly bad at math....suffered through G. Chem.....prayed for it to be over......and like you, wrecked my science GPA temporarily. I swear to god I never once understood what was going on in that class. When I took O. Chem, suddenly I was in a Chem class that made complete sense, was actually fun to do, and came easily to me. To me, the difference between G. Chem and O. Chem is similar to the dif between being right vs. left brained. :)

However, you still might hate it. But at least there's no math involved.