To all the Canadians out there!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gazelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. This question is just for anyone who's Canadian cuz you might know just how darn competitive Waterloo is! I'm from Saskatchewan and it says in the handbook that there's only 2 pple accepted from SK :mad: . TWO!!! When i wrote the OAT there was like 12 pple! So anyhoo, I applied to the UK and I got accepted into 4 universities there :) . I think I'm gonna go cuz they may be more expensive but the course is shorter - only 3 years! So I guess my questioni is: does anyone know if I'll be able to practice in Canada when I get back?

Thanx. Take care!

Mimmie

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mimmie,

Congrats on your acceptances! You should be aware however that there is no limit on the number of people who will be accepted from SK or any other province. That provision is just for funding - it says that UW has an agreement with SK so that the province will provide funding to UW for two SK residents for each new class. This in no way means that only two SK students will be accepted. It would be more, the same or fewwer - your province of residence will not be a factor in admission consideration.

Now, I'm not sure what would happen if more than two were accepted... perhaps they would have to pay higher tuiton for the first year to offset the funding difference, or maybe your province will kick in the necessary funds, but regardless you can always just become a resident of Ontario after your first year and get in province tuition.

As for the UK degree being recognized, I'm pretty sure you can come back and practice here, I just don't know the details. UW does have a program to help foreign grads out but they have no details on the website. Also, there is the option of going to an American school afterwards with advanced standing for two years (i think) to get your OD.

The 'quota' for SK students is a non-issue for you. As was said, there can be more or less than the 2 SK students mentioned each year. The 'quota' should have no impact on your application and your costs will not be any different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that stuff :confused: This may sound kinda dumb, but what is "advanced standing" Do I have to start optometry all over again? :eek:

Thanx!

Mimmie

jefguth said:
Hi Mimmie,

Congrats on your acceptances! You should be aware however that there is no limit on the number of people who will be accepted from SK or any other province. That provision is just for funding - it says that UW has an agreement with SK so that the province will provide funding to UW for two SK residents for each new class. This in no way means that only two SK students will be accepted. It would be more, the same or fewwer - your province of residence will not be a factor in admission consideration.

Now, I'm not sure what would happen if more than two were accepted... perhaps they would have to pay higher tuiton for the first year to offset the funding difference, or maybe your province will kick in the necessary funds, but regardless you can always just become a resident of Ontario after your first year and get in province tuition.

As for the UK degree being recognized, I'm pretty sure you can come back and practice here, I just don't know the details. UW does have a program to help foreign grads out but they have no details on the website. Also, there is the option of going to an American school afterwards with advanced standing for two years (i think) to get your OD.

I'm not sure what the curriculum is for advanced standing, but I know the program at New England College of Optometry (www.neco.edu) is two full years in length and I assume you would be doing clinical rounds. I believe PCO also offers this program. Unfortunately, this program isn't cheap! I don't think you'd have that much trouble get a license in Canada though with the B.Sc. in optom since many of the faculty members at UW hold british, ausralian, or south african degrees in optometry and only a few have upgraded to an OD at an American school. I

BTW, what is the tuition in the UK? I know a girl from HS that went into dentistry in the UK directly from Ontario high school and her tuition is only about $1000CND... she also happens to be a British citizen.

Gazelle said:
Hey. This question is just for anyone who's Canadian cuz you might know just how darn competitive Waterloo is! I'm from Saskatchewan and it says in the handbook that there's only 2 pple accepted from SK :mad: . TWO!!! When i wrote the OAT there was like 12 pple! So anyhoo, I applied to the UK and I got accepted into 4 universities there :) . I think I'm gonna go cuz they may be more expensive but the course is shorter - only 3 years! So I guess my questioni is: does anyone know if I'll be able to practice in Canada when I get back?

Thanx. Take care!

Mimmie

As others have said, there is no actual 'quota' at UW for different provinces. That crap that they have in the handbook is useless and really shouldn't be in something geared towards students - you never see any of that money, it's just for the school.

As for practicing in Canada after getting your degree in the UK, not an easy thing to do. Their educational requirements for admission are a great deal different than any of the North American schools. In order to practice in Canada after returning, you have to do a lot of different stuff. You either have to take a two year program (not offered at UW) or you have to work as a researcher or something for I think 2 years (hence the reason why there are so many UK optoms working at UW). They are working towards making it easier for international optometry grads, but that program is in its infancy right now.

I would say wait on the UK optom stuff, and apply to Waterloo - there are a lot of myths surrounding admissions to this school! Or, failing admission to Waterloo, go to the US - I think the majority of my class would have gone there if only we could have afforded it!! ;)

Gazelle said:

Thanx. Take care!

Mimmie

Not to be blunt, but you might want to research a more reliable source than an internet forum for the answer to a question like this.

The statement of #1: "I think I'm gonna go" followed by #2 "does anyone know if I'll be able to practice in Canada when I get back" scares me.

You might want to make sure you can do #2 before you do #1.

I would strongly suggest you contact the licensing body in the province where you would like to practice and ask THEM.

Jenny

JennyW said:
Not to be blunt, but you might want to research a more reliable source than an internet forum for the answer to a question like this.

The statement of #1: "I think I'm gonna go" followed by #2 "does anyone know if I'll be able to practice in Canada when I get back" scares me.

You might want to make sure you can do #2 before you do #1.

I would strongly suggest you contact the licensing body in the province where you would like to practice and ask THEM.

Jenny

LOL...I was just getting pple's opinions! I'm obviously not gonna make my decision right here and now. I actually did contact UW and asked about its Bridging program. Just waiting for an answer now. But thanks for the input, anyhow!!

Take care.

Mimmie

I got a firend in the UK (completing his second year at Aston). He wants to come back, and told me he might apply to Waterloo, and that they might favour his app cause he already has a degree and went through an optometry program. But I'm not too sure about going through this route.

Gazelle said:
LOL...I was just getting pple's opinions! I'm obviously not gonna make my decision right here and now. I actually did contact UW and asked about its Bridging program. Just waiting for an answer now. But thanks for the input, anyhow!!

Take care.

Mimmie

I understand that you are just asking "opinions" but this is not a subject that you need opinions on like "what neighborhood should I live in?" or "what electives should I take."

This is a question that requires a FACTUAL answer and I think you really need to get it from the licensing body in the province that you want to practice in because this is not an area where surprises are fun.

Jenny

JennyW said:
I understand that you are just asking "opinions" but this is not a subject that you need opinions on like "what neighborhood should I live in?" or "what electives should I take."

This is a question that requires a FACTUAL answer and I think you really need to get it from the licensing body in the province that you want to practice in because this is not an area where surprises are fun.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

With so many people on this forum, Gazelle might be hoping that someone has gone through this process or is currently going through it. If the O.P. found someone who did succesfully go through the UK route, then they could provide FACTUALLY accurate information to the poster.

Potato! said:
Hi Jenny,

With so many people on this forum, Gazelle might be hoping that someone has gone through this process or is currently going through it. If the O.P. found someone who did succesfully go through the UK route, then they could provide FACTUALLY accurate information to the poster.

Wow! I could not have said it better myself! Especially since some people already mentioned others in the same boat. Guess I'm just not fantastic at articulating myself. Figures why I'm no English major, huh :oops:

Mimmie

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Ok, so I got the final word from the CEO (Canadian Examiners of Optometry) and this is just for anyone who's in the same boat as me (ie, thinking of going overseas for an education but wanting to come back and work here). They said that it varies from one province to the next, but generally you have to write the CSAO exam (which you have to write even if you graduated from Waterloo) and then "further assessment" which probably means more examinations. The lady I contacted said that you're looking at maybe one year before you start practicing.
It doesnt sound that bad to me, really! I just thought I'd let anybody else know cuz I know some were kinda contemplating that option ;) I got lots of information from the different provinces, so if anyone needs any info let me know, and I'll email it to ya!!

Take care,
Mimmie

I was just reading a brochure at my school's Career Services Office. It said that roughly 46% of applicants are accepted at Waterloo. This doesn't seem too bad.

I know the cut-offs for some US schools are lower than Waterloo...but does this really help ME (a Canadian without a US green card)? The chance of being accepted is probably much higher for US citizens than foreigners since many of us are competing for a limited number of foreign spots... I'm not sure...I'm just guessing here. Granted, you have a greater chance of success in the States SIMPLY because there are more schools. However, I'm not sure this holds true when just looking at the probability for each individual school.

The reason I ask is because I've only applied to PCO in the States...so I'm wondering if I have a greater chance at PCO or Waterloo.

Although, I haven't heard from PCO yet regarding an interview, so the whole point could be moot. They like to send everything through snail mai, so I'm still waitingl!! I only just completed my application during the last week of March - how long should I wait before I email them? I hope I still have a chance since the Americans seem very fond of their rolling-admissions system. :rolleyes:

caliente said:
I was just reading a brochure at my school's Career Services Office. It said that roughly 46% of applicants are accepted at Waterloo. This doesn't seem too bad.

I know the cut-offs for some US schools are lower than Waterloo...but does this really help ME (a Canadian without a US green card)? The chance of being accepted is probably much higher for US citizens than foreigners since many of us are competing for a limited number of foreign spots... I'm not sure...I'm just guessing here. Granted, you have a greater chance of success in the States SIMPLY because there are more schools. However, I'm not sure this holds true when just looking at the probability for each individual school.

The reason I ask is because I've only applied to PCO in the States...so I'm wondering if I have a greater chance at PCO or Waterloo.

Although, I haven't heard from PCO yet regarding an interview, so the whole point could be moot. They like to send everything through snail mai, so I'm still waitingl!! I only just completed my application during the last week of March - how long should I wait before I email them? I hope I still have a chance since the Americans seem very fond of their rolling-admissions system. :rolleyes:

To be honest right off the bat, I know nothing about American optometry schools. Simply because I didnt bother applying there! I figured if I get stuck with an OD degree from a country and can't come back to Canada, then I'd like for that place to be Britain :D . Nothing against the US but I've always been a sucker for that British accent! Pathetic, I know :rolleyes:

Take care,
Mimmie

Gazelle said:
To be honest right off the bat, I know nothing about American optometry schools. Simply because I didnt bother applying there! I figured if I get stuck with an OD degree from a country and can't come back to Canada, then I'd like for that place to be Britain :D . Nothing against the US but I've always been a sucker for that British accent! Pathetic, I know :rolleyes:

Take care,
Mimmie

1) You will not get stuck in the U.S. not being able to go back to Canada. It is simple to get back into Canada to practice. You take the CSAO, that everyone has to take to practice outside of Quebec, and you start working after you pass.
2) You still have not answered the most important question - where can you practice with a degree from Europe? You need to contact the provinces you are interested in practicing in and ask them not CSAO. You may be in for a surprise.
3) Without much knowledge of Optometry in the U.K. I would hypothesize that your education in Canada or the U.S. would be more appropriate for your desire to practice in Canada simply because the scope of practice here seems to be wider, and you will, thus, be appropriatley trained. Perhaps I'm wrong but another thing to consider and be fully educated about.

Does anyone know what tuition is in the UK for foreign students?

You can practice anywhere with a degree from Britain, its just a matter of time. The Bridging Program at Waterloo requires a year then u start practicing. Thats the only one I asked about cuz its where I wanna work should I come back to Canada. I may decide that I like the UK and decide to live there! But if I come back, I'll know that Ontario can accommodate me :D
The fees differ from one university to the next, but usually around 24,000 or less.

Take care,
Mimmie

What is the average acceptance GPA/average for UofWaterloo's OD program? ~85% or so? A 46% acceptance rate seems pretty high.

Last year the acceptance rate was around 30%.

The average GPA for 2004 was 83% with a range of 79-92%.

Gazelle said:

Thanx. Take care!

Mimmie
stay w/in the 17 n. american accredited schools...unless you you're feeling like it's your lucky day...
ni-hao-ma? I take it your Asian? I don't know too many non-asian mimmie's...

Gazelle said:
You can practice anywhere with a degree from Britain, its just a matter of time. The Bridging Program at Waterloo requires a year then u start practicing. Thats the only one I asked about cuz its where I wanna work should I come back to Canada. I may decide that I like the UK and decide to live there! But if I come back, I'll know that Ontario can accommodate me :D
The fees differ from one university to the next, but usually around 24,000 or less.

Take care,
Mimmie
Canadian dollar is high rel to the usd. Change 100k cad to usd....the pound has not depreciated much rel. to the cad.

To goto the country b/c of the english accent is a mistake.

ucbsowarrior

ucbsowarrior said:
stay w/in the 17 n. american accredited schools...unless you you're feeling like it's your lucky day...
ni-hao-ma? I take it your Asian? I don't know too many non-asian mimmie's...

Actually, no, I'm not Asian. But thanks for the advice!