To all the current applicants out there... go to OMED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MADD!!!

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's in the caption! I went last year and I believe it is HIGHLY beneficial to attend as a pre-med and as a current applicant. Why? Many DO programs set up their booths and have admissions officers (the very same ppl who read your apps) around throughout the days! It is a UNIQUE opportunity to meet 1-1 with AdComs to show yourself, your interest in Osteopathic Medicine, and their school.

From their standpoint, them seeing you there already shows your interest in becoming a DO. They get to meet you face-to-face, which is FAR more valuable than any letter of intent or interest y'all plan on doing. Also, there aren't many pre-meds there, so they're not getting filibustered by pre-meds and will very likely remember you post-conference when you follow up.

If any of you reading this recognize me from previous threads, I had a very successful app cycle last year and I believe attending this event played a significant role. I'm here to pay it forward and tell you to take this opportunity, as it may completely alter your app cycle. Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey MADD! I completely agree with you. Ironically, you and I actually met at OMED last year :laugh:

I reside in Maryland, but decided to make the trip to OMED in Cali last year. With flight, hotel, and travel expense, it cost me about $500. This year, thank god OMED is closer to home in Philly, so I will be driving! It is definitely a great experience and I have definitely built some relationships with several admissions counselors from the event. Also, they do remember your faces! I attended a DO recruitment event in Baltimore a few months ago, and a few of the admissions counselors in attendance told me they did recognize me without me even bringing it up.

I'll be applying next cycle, so hopefully it all pays off!

Reactions: 1 user