To all the US-IMGs and IMGs out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serenity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we eligible to participate to in the NRMP match if we have cleared all the tests but not ECFMG certified by ROL deadline (due to delay in processing of medical credentials)?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe we should be okay. As far as I can gather from the NRMP site, you must have passed Step 1, Step 2 CK and CS before rank order deadline (i.e. you don't have to have your final ecfmg certificate). I am 99.9 percent sure I am correct on this, but please go to the NRMP site and confirm.

I personally know a few FMGs applying this year and the fact that they're not ECFMG certified does represent an obstacle. Although they are very qualified (actually much more qualified than some of my AMG buddies), they're getting shafted when it comes down to interviews. When those FMG friends call various programs to ask what's going on, they more often than not get the response, "but you're not ECFMG certified." Now we know that's a BS answer...what the programs are really saying is, "we don't wanna interview you...and we have a convenient excuse." I think this is pathetic. So if you can get ECFMG certified sooner than later, I highly recommend it (but not from personal experience since I don't know the steps required to get ECFMG certified).

By ECFMG and NRMP standards/requirements, you do NOT have to have your certificate to participate in the match. You MUST have completed all requirements for the certificate (save actual graduation) by the time you submit your ROL.

That said, as noted above, programs can set their own requirements. I had a similar experience a few years back with programs that didn't list having the certificate as an application requirement anywhere on their web site, FREIDA, etc. but told me that they didn't interview candidates without it. Explaining that senior students couldn't have the certificate or complaining to ECFMG and NRMP didn't help. Unfortunately, they CAN make their own rules and untilsome standardization exists requiring programs to list all their application reequirements IMHO there's not much you can do about it. Whether or not this is institutionalized bias or the possibility that programs have been burned by ranking candidates who didn't qualify for the certificate (which the ECFMG and NRMP rules would seem to render this impossible), I don't know. But most programs I applied to didn't seem to require the certificate.

By ECFMG and NRMP standards/requirements, you do NOT have to have your certificate to participate in the match. You MUST have completed all requirements for the certificate (save actual graduation) by the time you submit your ROL.

That said, as noted above, programs can set their own requirements. I had a similar experience a few years back with programs that didn't list having the certificate as an application requirement anywhere on their web site, FREIDA, etc. but told me that they didn't interview candidates without it. Explaining that senior students couldn't have the certificate or complaining to ECFMG and NRMP didn't help. Unfortunately, they CAN make their own rules and untilsome standardization exists requiring programs to list all their application reequirements IMHO there's not much you can do about it. Whether or not this is institutionalized bias or the possibility that programs have been burned by ranking candidates who didn't qualify for the certificate (which the ECFMG and NRMP rules would seem to render this impossible), I don't know. But most programs I applied to didn't seem to require the certificate.

Sorry, digging a 6-year-old thread. But the topic is relevent to this day. The info might change though, due to possible changing ECFMG/NRMP/ERAS rules and regulations. I wonder if it is still the same way with programs today.

As always, WS gave detailed, personal, excellent answer. Just want the updated info.