to all those that haven't taken 2nd semester physics and took the MCAT....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am debating on whether to take the MCAT in august without the second semester physics.... do you think I should go for it so that I will be able to take it in april again if needed, or should I wait until I have biochem, genetics, and physics 2 under my belt? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO you would greatly regret to take the MCAT
Without Physics II. Best Wishes.

i took the mcat yesterday w/o 2nd sem phys or ochem. i studied like hell for the past 6 mos w/every type of prep material under the sun. i had tpr, kaplan, aamc, berkely review, examkrackers, nova, even rea. i had like 20 practice tests (of which i took about 5). i even had textbooks that i went over.

here's what i thought:
tpr physics materials ROCK. i learned a great deal from them and they totally simplified the horrendous 2nd sem stuff to the point where i intuitively understood the material. they explained everything from scratch and it was very easy to understand.

another thing: the mcat isn't SUPPOSED to historically rely on 2nd sem stuff, although it's fair game. that is, it's really rare that you would get an entire 3 passages on capacitators, light/optics, magnets, etc. but they would show up on discretes. i got lucky yesterday and had all 3 in passages. :mad: it wasn't pretty. at the same time i don't think i totally bombed the passages b/c a lot of the ?s just ask you pure passage-based stuff, so you have to learn not to get intimidated by the weird formulas you've never seen. w/o the classes, on ALL the pract tests i took (III, IV, VR, VIR) i got above 32s. i thought i was pretty ready for the test....but after yesterday we'll have to see.

okay, so to cut this rambling short, it depends on how much time you have to prepare and how smart you think you are at self-learning. obviously you will need to dedicate your entire 3 mos of summer to studying 2nd and 1st sem stuff. why take it in august when you can actually take the classes, have your summer off, and take it in april w/everyone else? unless you're trying to apply this year. in which case i'd say go ahead and take it w/o 2nd sem stuff.

good luck whatever you decide. :)

thanks for all the advice... i am not trying to apply this year. i plan on applying next year. the only reason i would take it in august is so that I could be ahead of the game...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with doctorperez, I took it yesterday while taking 2nd sem. physics & had to learn light/optics on my own. That was enough for me, I can't imagine having to learn electricity/magnetism etc etc on my own. Even if you learn it on your own, you won't have the confidence that you would have if you learned it in class first. Good luck w/the decision...

The first time when I took MCAT, I had not even taken any physics yet. What I did was studying the materials from what friends gave to me. I scored 8 on PS, which is pretty bad. But this is just my experience, hope that will help.

Originally posted by fun8stuff
thanks for all the advice... i am not trying to apply this year. i plan on applying next year. the only reason i would take it in august is so that I could be ahead of the game...

Why pretend you're ahead of the game when you're really not? I think that taking the MCAT "early" as far as required courses go, is not the best idea. Why? If you think about it, most of the people who will be taking it with you (and whose scores yours will be scaled with) have already taken the classes. Why would you knowingly and willingly put yourself at a disadvantage from the start especially if you have a chance to take it on time in April after taking the required courses? There's really no advantage to taking the MCAT this early, schools expect that you take it in April. Also if you wait, you'll also have genetics and biochem, which definitely shouldn't hurt your score and will probably help. As far as taking the test in August as "practice" that seems like a very bad idea. You should think of the MCAT as something you try to take only once. It's too expensive and stressful to prepare for and take twice. Plus it looks better if you take it once and blow it out of the water.

Good luck!

all good points and i appreciate it... not taking the MCAT until april 04! ...i just hope i dont put off studying for it....

I'm in a similar situation. My school made the brilliant decision to split physics into 3 semesters. I've taken the first 2 and I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August because I have so much more time to study during the summer and I've already taken more than enough bio & chem class. I'll have to teach myself waves and optics this summer, but I think I'm gonna go for it. If it comes time to register in July and I don't feel prepared, I'll wait until April. Either way, I'm not adding the 3rd semester of physics to my schedule; I just don't have the time.

Thundrstorm,

If waves and optics are the only things you have left...go for it...IMO those sections aren't too difficult. I also don't think they show up historically that much on the MCAT...from what I've heard, but I could be wrong. Have you looked at the way PR explains the topics? Very easily understandable. It would be great to finish the MCAT off in the summer so you don't have to deal with it during the school year. Good luck!