1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

To any CANADIAN applicants who applied to US schools

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by scienceisbeauty, Jun 13, 2008.

1. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    When you applied...did ya'll have to do a GPA conversion? See here in Ontario - not sure about the other provinces, an :

80 = 3.7 or A-, 85 and above = 4.0 or A, 90 + = 4.0 or A+

But the US doesn't use the same scoring system, thuuuus, how did you guys explain why you GPA was lower (I'd assume)? Say if a school cut off is 3.5 or 3.60 and my GPA is 3.61 (Canadian)....but when I convert it to the US scoring system it's considerably lower.

I don't know how to ... explain? this

Thannnks guys
    Scienceisbeauty

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sunshinejenn

sunshinejenn California Dreaming
    2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I had my transcript evaluated as well for US applications (from Ontario, applying to California), and I noticed as well that my US GPA wasn't close to what I thought it should be in terms of my Canadian average.

I know a big part of it (as I was told by the academic advisor), is that US schools weigh full year courses differently than the half year courses, which Canadian schools do not (so it completely skews up the overall Canadian average conversions). However, she told me not to worry, and that US schools usually know that the Canadian applicants are generally stronger students than the US equivalency GPA indicates (of course, this is all objective).

I had no problem getting in even with what I would call an average US GPA.

4. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    ok, so so in terms of converting from our Ontario GPA did you GPA still meet the minimum US school requirement? I'm still a bit worried.

It's harder to get an 80 here than there...80 most certainly is not a B- !!

5. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    *fixed your title, per request*

6. JockNerd

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Most of the us schools I applied to had a grade conversion chart on the application or somewhere on the grad dept web site (schools varied as to how easy this was to find). Some schools wanted the conversions done in different ways.

I'd maybe email the grad studies dept. if you aren't sure about the conversion, and the psych dept if you aren't sure about the cutoff. I was on the cusp for cumulative gpa for a few schools; some said to apply anyway, some said not to bother.

7. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    Here where I am we use a 4.0 scale but some Canadian unis use a 9.0 scale...and some a 4.3 ...

8. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    There must be >> ppl!!