To any SDN people interviewing at VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quantumhead

Verrucas Vulgaris
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I have been studying my butt off in Gross Anatomy so I haven't had the time to post, or even visit the site.

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you are going to visit VCU then drop me a line and I will stop by to say hi while you are here.

Everyone keep your head up. The work here is hard and fast but not impossiable.

I will try and drop by more often to answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! Thanks for the offer. I'll be interviewing there Oct 29 (Tuesday). Any advice or impressions of the school that you may want to share with us VCU applicants?

impressions of Richmond?
curriculum?
facilities (ie. library, labs, gym)?

Thanks and hopefully I'll see you there :D

Nate,
Hey, I am from USU and I just had a regional interview with Dr. Brownstein this morning. It went pretty good.
You and I talked a couple of times in the past and this past summer we both worked at the Lab facilities beneath the stadium doing research. It was there that you introduced me to this SDN website. Remember who I am?
Anyways, I would like to email you directly, so if you could pm me that would be great.
I hope all is well out in Richmond! Congrats on the new one! Dr. Brownstein told me about it.
I hope to hear from you soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a little info:

Class size is 89 for our class (D1). It is the largest class in quite a few years.

Most people are in state, the most out of state come from Utah and the surrounding areas in the west. For Utah students this is your best bet so apply to VCU.

We are located in downtown Richmond, VA which is a big city with lots of small town around it. The Dental school is located on the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) campus which is apart from the undergraduate campus. This is nice, you don't have to deal with the undergrad scene if you don't want to, it is just up the road on the shuttle.

The school itself is great. The clinics have just been revamped and are a joy to be in. We spend most of our time in our calssroom on the 4th floor (movie style seating) and the gross anatomy lab (4 to a stiff). Gross anatomy is our first class and it is only six weeks long. In that time we cover the body with 4 weeks on the head and neck. The teachers are great, you will never have more fun tearing a human into little pieces.

We have a fall break for a week this next week and then we start all of our labs and other classes to prep for the boards part 1 which we will take next year.

The city is alot of fun. I was able to buy a house south of the city in Chesterfield county. Most students live in the West End up Broad street. There are alot of clubs for the nightlife and a great social scene here at the school.

We are across the street from the library, and the gym (pool, raquetball, basketball, tennis, squash, arobic and weight room).

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Thanks for that peek into the VCU dental school. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you as the interview date gets closer. :)

Go for it Gavin! It's not too late! What's a hundred or so more dollars in app fees mean in the long run? It's worth it to know that you afforded yourself all the opportunities that you consider.